• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Garo: Crimson Moon (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote

Garo: Crimson Moon (TV)

Genres: Action, Demons, Fantasy, Magic, Supernatural
Themes:

Plot Summary: Heian-kyō, capital and the center of elegant, aristocratic culture, is heavily guarded by a spiritual force field -- or so it seems. In reality, onmyōji (court magi who create the spiritual force field) can only defend the palace located in the northern part of the city; in downtown, monsters known as "horror" that feast upon human souls roam after sunset. There are, however, a group of heroes protecting commoners from "horrors" in darkness.

Preview (animated):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-p7Zu8JbD0&feature=youtu.be
----------------------------------

I think this is considered a brand new Garo series that takes place in the same universe as the characters and story is completely different. Even the setting is different but from the PV I've seen, it looks exciting. They also picked an interesting cast of voices for the characters like Daisuke Namikawa, Romi Park, etc.

I found the original Garo series to be quite entertaining so hopefully this will also be just as entertaining.

2 cour is also very suitable to develop the story and characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I thought it was dark and exactly what's to be expected from the Garo franchise. Somehow, I liked this episode compared to the first season's previous episode.

We got a main female protagonist in a new setting. Seems like none of the main characters from the previous season returns so it's safe to say that you can watch it without knowledge of the first season. Also liked the fact that they are keeping it less CGI (although the Makai armor still has that) with the action by making it looks more fluid. I hope we learn more about the main characters though especially Seimei and Raikou.

Oh and I love the OST already for this season.

But yeah, this seems more like a spin-off/new series rather than continuation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So we have a more Japanese setting rather than the European setting of the first series. I kind of like it. And I much rather these characters so far too as I had a strong dislike for Herman who I saw as a basis of many of the problems of that series like with Leo. Kid is not annoying, guy looks responsible, and the girl is pretty awesome.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Why do I have a feeling that Raikou's father might be alive? At least I hope we will find out more about his past relationship with him. The previous season covered a lot of about son/father relationships so I think it's suitable for this show to at least attempt to do that.

Eh, this week's episode was okay I guess.

I hope they go a bit into Seimei's background story soon as I'm kinda curious to learn more about her. What we do find out this episode is that she doesn't like butterflies much Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

So that kid is not human? While the main guy has aged since what looked like a similar age, the other one has not aged at all. While you could also put that to Seimei also, it probably not past having a mature woman that has just staved off aging.

Also, that skull was rather small for a human's head.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

This season feels quite different than what I had imagined. They are putting a lot emphasis on Seimei's character....

There's more info dump about some of this series' themes like with the curses, hatred, demons, etc. It feels a bit different tbh despite the theme of Makai Knights being protectors against Horrors. At least Seimei has some decent chemistry with the others.

I feel like Seimei is one of the few people who can keep Raikou under control. I think Raikou may be one of the closest she has in her life right now. As for the action, it feels sluggish and less intense compared to the first season imo especially with the choreography and designs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Your face oozes with indecency!

Hey, I can't help it, I'm still a teenager and they haven't invented Proactiv yet, ok?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that Kaguya girl will play a more important role if she returns later on in the season (she appears in the ED theme song so...)

Didn't really feel a strong connection between her and Raikou though. I mean, they have somewhat of a chemistry but not something that I'll remember for a long time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I am starting to think the show is a bit too formulaic in a monster of the week sort of thing. It feels like every episode follows the formulae of trying to figure things out, probably being wrong who the target is, and then ends with him getting the ring unlocked and doing a fight he is obviously going to win. Maybe there was an episode or so that did not do it, but it just feels a bit boring compared to what even the first series did.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, unless Kaguya starts commuting back and forth from the moon, I don't see any purpose to this episode at all. It didn't forward the plot or the character development at all. It introduced Kaguya, and then she went home. The End.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

I think the lesson of the week is that they can't save everyone.

Not too bad for the episode but also predictable. That ending though...Really was a bit sad. I wonder how this all ties in the overall experience for Rikou as a Makai Knight. Too bad for Yasuske or whatever his name was. It just goes to show that in the Garo world, happiness rarely comes at least in this season so far.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

I'm wondering if this season two is trying to explore human nature or something as each episode so far has a bit of it. This week, we got the question regarding if the will to live is a strength or weakness.

By predictable standards, it seems to be strength but at the same time can also be a sign of a weakness. The fight was pretty meh although an improvement of the previous episode in terms of storytelling imo. I hope they explore a continuous arc soon to connect the overall themes of the story later on.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
I was glad to see she got a better outcome than last week's Horror fodder. These last couple of episodes kind of remind me of Hell Girl where people who had every right to be angry or who were trapped with no way out ended up getting sent to hell because they couldn't bear it any longer. If you object to obscene income inequality and injustice or want to live for your children, that invites evil possession? There's something messed up about that world view...
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
No way wanting to live for your children's sake is evil. Hell, just wanting to live for one's own sake isn't evil. And now that she's dead, who's going to take care of her kids? I doubt this world has a functioning Child Services Department. So the 4-year-old will take care of his baby sister, and that's the last we'll see of them? (unless they become recurring characters). I just don't see Seimei and co. taking them in.

On a humorous note: lol at Raikou calling his dick "my little servant"!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
No way wanting to live for your children's sake is evil. Hell, just wanting to live for one's own sake isn't evil. And now that she's dead, who's going to take care of her kids? I doubt this world has a functioning Child Services Department. So the 4-year-old will take care of his baby sister, and that's the last we'll see of them? (unless they become recurring characters). I just don't see Seimei and co. taking them in.

This. I found it very weird how everyone acted like this was a happy ending when we have two infant children being orphaned and with no means to support themselves. And everyone was like "Oh, it's so great that their mother died instead of clinging to life, how fortunate". Just like... eeeh?

Quote:
On a humorous note: lol at Raikou calling his dick "my little servant"!

The actual line in Japanese was "My Kintoki", which is why his little servant Kintoki asked if he was speaking to him Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3