• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Stock Footage versus Low Quality (QUALITY).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I have noticed that when people critique animation quality on various websites the two most notable instances are reuse of stock footage and quality so low that faces look like dots and a line; the average person from /a/ or /m/ will refer to as QUALITY. For this thread I am poking at curiosity. Which is worse? Which is better? Which is more tolerable? Which is more distracting? Is it better for an anime to have a lot of derpy looking moments without any recycling or recycling constantly, but looking pretty? I'd rather not get into things like plot, characters, sound, etc., rather the actual visuals on screen.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
^
It is etiquette on this forum, when asking opinons, to provide your own. So... Which do you prefer? Why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
What exactly is "stock footage" in this context.

I am not going to talk about quality because nothing ever bothers me.
I apparently have very low standards and/or a very high tolerance for bad animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
errinuda wrote:
So... Which do you prefer? Why?

I guess I prefer stock footage over QUALITY because even in repetition I would rather be viewing something that looks appealing rather than something that makes me wonder how much time or talent went into it. I've seen so many tokusatsu and old mecha series that I am very used to it.
Touma wrote:
What exactly is "stock footage" in this context.

Animation recycling, sometimes with different colors or sounds to make it look different. Mecha anime have a lot of this in combination and transformation sequences.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
What exactly is "stock footage" in this context

Stuff like this. The same footage re-used repeatedly and not just for transformation/combination scenes. Gundam SEED and Destiny are infamous for it (at one point the Impulse Gundam turned into the Strike Gundam because they forgot to replace it in the footage), and Gundam Wing has it pretty bad too. I also recall Utawarerumono did it a lot.

I honestly don't mind a little QUALITY. People tend to focus on it too much, especially when it's insignificant. Usually it pops up when the character in question is far in the background and thus doesn't need much detail, or things go off model for a moment that you'd normally miss if you weren't advancing the video frame by frame specifically looking for it.

Overused stock footage can get boring especially in major battles. It deserves more effort put into it than just a copy and paste job.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
This is like asking someone what foods they most dislike and then asking which of them do they want in the next meal. The obvious answer is neither. I realize that animation shortcuts are a necessary evil* in anime but I prefer not to dwell on the situation. I find that if I don't pay attention to the animation, my tolerance for such shortcuts is markedly increased. When I do notice them, it is usually a symptom of boredom or a loss of interest in what is going on in the show.

* A "necessary evil" in spite of the necessity remains evil.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
It depends really. I'd rather Sailor Moon be a decade behind in animation quality than I would have them waste a minute and a half of my life on transformation/attack scenes redone every episode. Then again, if that means that it reaches the lows of the Nadia Island Episodes... then forget it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1