• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica 'Concept Movie' Hints at New Work

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait! Very Happy
Gonstead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
AAAAAHHHHH!!! I'm so excited!
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
...Okay, who sold their soul to Kyubey for this?
I wasn't sure if I wanted to yet, so it can't have been me.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Yay more Madoka. I hope this can lead to another series or something.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
They should consider doing a reboot and just disregarding the events of the movie if possible, at least that's what I would be looking for if I was going to be interested in a new work. Anyway for now it's just a concept movie and really the Rebellion movie just soured me so much on the franchise with how it turned out and how it undid a pretty good TV series ending just to open the franchise up to further exploitation that a new work would kind of need to disregard all that and get back to the franchises roots in order to draw much interest out of me. I also don't really care much for how the franchise seems to entirely revolve around Homura now and it's like the rest of the cast doesn't even matter, she's not really as interesting a character to me as she is to others and her whole arc never really made a whole lot of sense either to me even in the TV series.

Even just looking at the lineart it looks like just Homura and they don't even seem to be showing anyone else, kind of giving an indication of how they really feel about the idea of it being an ensemble cast like the TV series was again versus a one character piece. Though even the TV series started to become more and more about Homura after it went on it's hiatus and then we got the movie which pretty much revolved around her and whatever the hell went on with her character and what that ending was even more bizarre.

Personally I don't see any way in which any future franchise entries are ever as solid as the original TV series was again now that it's some big hyped thing that can probably market itself on brand name alone and where the scripting and logic doesn't necessarily have to be solid as demonstrated by the film in order for people to proclaim it an unerring masterpiece. Unless they really plan on hiking their socks up and actually using the rest of the cast and taking things in some particular purposeful new direction (Urobuchi doesn't seem too fond of the idea of clear direction with his movie sequel scripts for his franchises or anything he's been involved in of late and clearly doesn't know what he wants to do with the franchise anymore and said he didn't even with the movie until the producer basically decided on a plot line for him that he had to write about IMO for the worst since he didn't feel particularly committed to it or doing anything with it, just presenting the idea) and not just relying on franchise hype and branding then it's not going to be worth it but for the cash grab for the producers.

Really though if the first sequel movie didn't even manage to capture much of what I felt made the TV series a solid anime (things like a clear direction and themes and also note that I don't think of it as some all time great franchise to be revered like a lot of people, just a very good show that executed itself well like many others before or since) then I can't really hold out much hope for a potential third phase and it being particularly noteworthy beyond getting a bunch of people hyped up over nothing.

Anyway a concept short for Madoka seems like exactly the right kind of thing to do with it right now as it pretty much is just a concept these days with where it's at. It's a surprisingly honest way to approach it and it's good to play it by ear for a while lest more people potentially come to the conclusion about the franchise that I have which would probably spell it's doom since IMO take the hype factor away that it's been riding since the moment that Mami's head got bit off and it doesn't have much going with it.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
About damn time. The entire last 15 minutes of Rebellion screamed sequel bait. It's needed this for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Manwards

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Add me to the list of "loved the series, loved the film, and would love more Madoka".
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally I don't see any way in which any future franchise entries are ever as solid as the original TV series

Madoka has not been the first nor will it be the last "great launch run" of a given franchise, there is a plethora of cult following series that continue to shamble on in multimedia and certainly anyone still associated with the Madoka franchise will want the product to continue on even if it never exceeds the original's status among the "original fandom".
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
Personally I don't see any way in which any future franchise entries are ever as solid as the original TV series

Madoka has not been the first nor will it be the last "great launch run" of a given franchise, there is a plethora of cult following series that continue to shamble on in multimedia and certainly anyone still associated with the Madoka franchise will want the product to continue on even if it never exceeds the original's status among the "original fandom".

That's not even the problem, like it would help if they can at least manage a good story and work again which I'm not even sure I can call Rebellion though sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that really though that movie was just a textbook example of an awful followup and how not to try to continue a story. They just seemed so fixated on the idea that everything had to be flipped on it's head and shock the audience with a bitter twist that IMO they forgot to do anything else with it and like 2/3 of the movie is just kind of aimless and seems to serve no purpose other than being a showcase for Inu Curry and Shinbo getting to indulge and do some shots he'd like.

If a potential sequel is just another ego thing for the creators looking to hold on to the old days and please a crowd that will pretty much be positive about anything Madoka related regardless then oh well, the anime scene for me doesn't revolve around Madoka getting sequels or anything like that and again I still think it should have just been left to rest the first time around and it's already pretty much too late. I foresee any future sequels just being about empty hype and half baked ideas in the long run.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
The whole point of the 3rd movie was spoiler[Homura wanted Madoka to be free and safe/happy, not a slave to the fate her wish gave her]. It made perfect sense with Homura's character. I thought the ending sucked, yes, but the overall plot of the movie worked fine...it just needed to continue further. Especially since the last few minutes weren't fully explained.

I'd like one final movie, at the least.

edit: I don't really see how this hints at a new project. Just seems more like a tribute.

Last edited by Kougeru on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Hum. . . . considering where they left the 3rd movie off at, I am rather curious as to where they'll actually take it next. Especially since that last bit of the movie showed something eerie happening with Kyuubey. I really wanna know what happens next with him~! Poor thing is going through Homura Hell. Anime hyper
otagirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Rebellion is perfect.
They'd better not muck it up now with this new short. I hope it's just the story of how Madoka is leading a happy life.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
To make it a twist for "changes" in a post rebellion Narrative, establish Oriko and Kirika and the story would have more than enough set up of characters who could "know/learn the truth" to set things in motion.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
!!! YES PLEASE.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
edit: I don't really see how this hints at a new project. Just seems more like a tribute.

Both sources say the movie hints at a new project, so I think it's more than just an assumption. I don't know if they've seen the video itself, or if they're getting that from some other part of the PR materials, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3