• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Most Popular KanColle Characters Ranked by Pixiv Fan Art

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neonie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
It can't actually be accurate though, since Kancolle isn't a static series. They add new characters every few months, and each new character comes with her own amount of popularity (sometimes high, sometimes low.)

So characters that have been there since the beginning and have always been popular (like Shimakaze and Inazuma) are obviously going to have more fan art just by volume than a character that came later, even if they have the same amount of popularity (Like Ro-500, or the very recently introduced Kashima that has gained an enormous ground-hold over the last two months.)
Setsura1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Kongou isnt #1, I call BS.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, Shoukaku isn't on this list, but sure she gets a lot of doujinshi so I'm okay with that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Glad Tenryuu's ranked highly, she'll never have enough fanart or doujinshi.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic that Kongou made it among the Top 10. I find her jolly characteristic to be quite a blast. Smile
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
RO-511 merged with U-511?

I've seen several U-511's in PvP this week alone and never see RO-511's in PvP! The Ranking tabs are the same. Oh RO-511. How I despise your 'upgrade' art. Ah...I guess they're kinda sorta the same ship. How the art for her changed so drastically between upgrades it doesn't feel that way.

Some of these are surprises, I'll say! (Tenryuu). DesDiv6 dominating the charts was not.

...nanodesu....
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Sigh I see none of the Hime girls
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Never thought that Fubuki, of all things, would end up making the cut despite being seen by detractors as too generic through her personality and in-game quotes.

firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh I see none of the Hime girls

Which one?
Eztli_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, Shoukaku isn't on this list, but sure she gets a lot of doujinshi so I'm okay with that.

Shokaku is on the list at the bottom at 30th place with 3137 images, while Zuikaku is in 20th place with 4031 images.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm also glad that Kongo is pretty high up - though I can't expect her to be near the top with all that competition (Shimakaze in second isn't bad.) Akagi in 7th is also pretty decent.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
neonie wrote:
It can't actually be accurate though, since Kancolle isn't a static series. They add new characters every few months, and each new character comes with her own amount of popularity (sometimes high, sometimes low.)

So characters that have been there since the beginning and have always been popular (like Shimakaze and Inazuma) are obviously going to have more fan art just by volume than a character that came later, even if they have the same amount of popularity (Like Ro-500, or the very recently introduced Kashima that has gained an enormous ground-hold over the last two months.)

Yeah, this is worth keeping in mind. Most of the list are characters that have been there since the game started. Ro, Hamakaze and Northern Ocean Princess (the only abyssal ship on the chart) are the only recent additions. Yamato, Musashi and I think Suzuya weren't there right at the start but they were introduced pretty early on back in 2013.

Now, clearly more recent ships *can* get into the list and I wouldn't say it's horribly inaccurate buuuuut it should be kept in mind that some of those characters already had several thousand pics before Ro or Kashima (not on the list but is definitely one of the more popular recent additions) ever existed. It would be interesting to compare to a list that somehow accounted for the time differences, like pics per week or month since introduction or fanart just in the last year or X months (both of which would take a lot more work to do).
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
this is Kancolle top 50 ranking in Pixiv (February 2015)
http://i.pictr.com/nepo55e0rc.jpg

1.Shimakaze
2.Kongou
3.Kaga
4.Tenryuu
5.Inazuma
6.Ikazuchi
7.Akagi
8.Hibiki/Verniy
9.Haruna
10.Kitakami
11.Atago
12.Tatsuta
13.Shigure
14.Ushio
15.Nagato
16.Ryuujou
17.Wo-class Carrier
18.Yuudachi

So there are some characters that still in top ranking, Shimakaze,Kongou and Kaga are indeed popular in pixiv

Also I dont know which one are accurate as this one stated entries more than the ranking in article, Kaga 14,209 while the latest one is 9,816
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Also I dont know which one are accurate as this one stated entries more than the ranking in article, Kaga 14,209 while the latest one is 9,816

This poll is accumulate the number of fan drawings in just 2015 year (see the line on the picture).

Therefore, despite the fact that some of the characters received more popularity over this year (like Hibiki), in the overall result some characters (like Kongou) is still in a higher position.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

This poll is accumulate the number of fan drawings in just 2015 year (see the line on the picture).

Oh I get it, you mean the fan art that made only in 2015 not counting fan art from previous year 2014 and 2013.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Oh I get it, you mean the fan art that made only in 2015 not counting fan art from previous year 2014 and 2013.

Yes. That poll counted only the fanart from 1st January to 31st December of 2015.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1