• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weekly Shonen Jump Launches 2 New Series in February

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hominidrive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Yuragi-sō no Yūna-san looks like anything but a Shonen Jump series...

Blade of Demon Destruction on the other hand sounds like a fictional series inside another series. What a dumb name.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Hominidrive wrote:
Yuragi-sō no Yūna-san looks like anything but a Shonen Jump series...

I don't nkow about you, but to me it looks like the typical fanservice shounen jump series that gets cancelled after the first 2 volumes.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's the impression I got too: It's going to be a fanservice series. Erobot, the last fanservice series, got cancelled before its second volume, actually. I think it's the fastest a WSJ series ever got axed.

While series like To-Love-Ru managed to last in the magazine, there are two things going against fanservice series right now: The first is that it has to have a good story too; a series that revolves around fanservice will not fly. The second thing is that there is traditionally room for only one romance series in WSJ, and that spot is currently occupied by Nisekoi, which, looking at the ratings, is not going anywhere.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Hominidrive wrote:
Blade of Demon Destruction on the other hand sounds like a fictional series inside another series. What a dumb name.

Still sounds better than "Legend of the Legendary Heroes" (brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department) or "Attack on Titan" (for there to be an attack "on" something, "Titan" would have to either be a place or a single being, not a group of giants. "Attack of the Titans" or "Attack on the Titans" would be the more grammatically correct title for the series).
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I think I will following this series(both of them).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Even if this new onsen ghost thing is cancelled, it could be popular/short enough to get an anime. Through this, it's possible that it would get re-serialized.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Hominidrive wrote:

Still sounds better than "Legend of the Legendary Heroes" (brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department) or "Attack on Titan" (for there to be an attack "on" something, "Titan" would have to either be a place or a single being, not a group of giants. "Attack of the Titans" or "Attack on the Titans" would be the more grammatically correct title for the series).

Well, for Legend of the Legendary Heroes, the Japanese was already redundant like that, and for Attack on Titan every company working on an English version was contractually required to call it that.

Doesn't make them any less awkward though.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I hope one of these connects with Jump readers over here and we can finally see a new series ongoing in English Jump.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I remember Koisome. It was nothing but romance fluff that got old pretty quickly. These two sound forgettable but My hero academia sounded that way too and I love it. I know better than to think that's any indicator that these will be good but I'll keep an ear out for em if they're worth anything.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Yeah, that's the impression I got too: It's going to be a fanservice series. Erobot, the last fanservice series, got cancelled before its second volume, actually. I think it's the fastest a WSJ series ever got axed.

In the early 2000s, they often canceled after nine issues. Then they had a few books turn things around (Gintama) so they started being a little more generous if there was any potential.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The second thing is that there is traditionally room for only one romance series in WSJ, and that spot is currently occupied by Nisekoi, which, looking at the ratings, is not going anywhere.

That might be changing later this year though - all signs point to Nisekoi ending relatively soon, and I'd be surprised if the series goes on past 2016. So to me it makes sense that editorial staff is giving the go ahead on a new potential RomCom series.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't quite get it. Wasn't Koisome Momiji cancelled? Is the series being continued? re-released? Rebooted?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
In the early 2000s, they often canceled after nine issues. Then they had a few books turn things around (Gintama) so they started being a little more generous if there was any potential.

Hmm, so Erobot had to have bombed REALLY hard for Shueisha to not even give that one a try.

lossthief wrote:
That might be changing later this year though - all signs point to Nisekoi ending relatively soon, and I'd be surprised if the series goes on past 2016. So to me it makes sense that editorial staff is giving the go ahead on a new potential RomCom series.

If that's true, then this one kind of jumped the gun. If Nisekoi is ending soon, it's not ending within the next few chapters.

The characters have recently started their third year of high school, is it? That'd be the senior year there. It means they'd spend about 100 chapters per grade. I always assumed the series would finish around high school graduation, but maybe the third year will take fewer chapters. (Or am I wrong regarding when the series began? I actually didn't read it until Viz made it available in English weekly.)
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
I don't quite get it. Wasn't Koisome Momiji cancelled? Is the series being continued? re-released? Rebooted?

None of those things. The artist of Koisome Momiji is simply drawing a new Jump manga.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
i wish US SJ would just drop Toriko and add some new manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2