• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Final Fantasy Artist Yoshitaka Amano's 'Candy Girl' Character Gets High-End Merch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
And suddenly I'm reminded at Luis Vuitton bags by Murakami.
C'mon Amano, no can make bank on this. LOL!!!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, now that's conspicuous consumption. How much must the actual candies cost? That'd be literally conspicuous consumpsion.

Certainly looks different from Amano's work on Final Fantasy or Vampire Hunter D though.
Randamo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
He's done that style before for a Gatchaman exhibition. I kind of like it.

Also, so sad this isn't happening while I'm in Japan. Sad
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
That's some very awesome artwork from Mr. Amano-san. The pictures somehow remind me Kyary Pamyu Pamyu with their supernatural looks...
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see at least someone from Gigantic Formula's world managed to still find work… Wink

All joking aside, it all looks very nice and I really like seeing someone like Amano apply his kind of art style to something seemingly incongruent like his "Candy Girl" concept. It still looks artsy, stylish, and original, as well as his other work. Though I have never cared for the mindset behind "high-end" spoiler[(read: "excessively-overpriced")] artist merchandise, I think Amano achieves the visual side of the concept better here than Murakami, whose art feels too dull/sterile, impersonal, and uninspired to be worth the price or adulation it often receives. Amano's prices are still jaw-dropping, but they feel more worthwhile in comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1