• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buy your convention passes at 7-Eleven.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
This seems like a thing in Asia. I attended C3 in Hong Kong back in February and yes I bought my tickets at 7-Eleven. They were also being sold at Circle K (do they have those in the U.S. or U.K?)

I think this is only possible for anime conventions in Asia which tend to strictly be more of a trade show format as they are in Japan. But it's a nice concept, with how everything involving money is much more integrated than it is in the West.

Another thought I had that perhaps larger U.S. anime conventions could implement if attendees could buy their passes at convenience stores is a way to avoid turnstiles or entry checkpoints alltogether.

Basically everyone in line already has a ticket right? So why not distribute their badges while they are in line? They trade their ticket stub for a badge and when the doors open they just enter the site.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
A lot of it comes down to the form of the event.

Sakura-Con, for example, does not sell tickets or passes or badges. It sells memberships. Which means that you can't just hand someone a badge, you have to check their ID compared to either their registration form or the database (if they're pre-registered), confirm that it's them (and that they're either an adult, or with their adult), and then give them the badge. It's because Sakura-Con is formed as a "membership organization," not just an event. I believe many of the non-profit conventions in the US are set up similarly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1