• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Americans In Anime Always Blonde?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, that header picture made me lol, Bandit Keith doing the "Shut up and take my money" pose kinda way.

But yeah, besides the stereotypical blond hair archetypes, there is probably other American-type characters I've probably seen in other series that's not just blond always, more so just other variants, I assume.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is true that most of american characters are blonde with blue eyes, but there are a few that don't. I am reading the manga of Alice 19th and the american character is black.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Probably for the same reason why half the globe thinks that white people only look like German soldiers in WWII films.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
SO true about this particular anime stereotype. From the top of my head though there's a couple of American characters in memorable nime that are not blonde.

Half the guys in Baccano do not have blonde hair

Chibodee Crockett- Fighter G Gundam

Revy-Black Lagoon

Kanuka Clancy- Patlabor (she's supposed to be half japanese. Funnily enough she's easily the most japanese looking character of all).
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
And let's not forget that most Russians have white hair and green/blue eyes.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
It's also a very simple way for a character to appear obviously foreign. While even a westerner with brown or black hair would stand out like a sore thumb in Japan, there aren't many features in a typical anime character's design that hint at ethnicity. In a series where everyone else has dark colored hair and eyes, it's easy to look at a blonde character and go "Oh, they're foreign!"

I think that's also why in shows like Yu-Gi-Oh (Since our favorite Bandit Keith is the thumbnail here...) where characters have crazy hair colors they do other things to make it super obvious, like give them a bandana of a freakin' American flag, or give them a frilly cravat and make them drink wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
As a Canadian I'm more miffed that most anime seem to believe that our continent consists only of the United States.

We need more Canadian characters like Kate from Sketchbook and Kirara from GJ-bu.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Probably the only reason I want Tokyo Seventh Sisters to get an anime as it has an American without blond hair. I don't really care for it as a game but it has some interesting characters and I like all of the lolis in it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
As a Canadian I'm more miffed that most anime seem to believe that our continent consists only of the United States.

We need more Canadian characters like Kate from Sketchbook and Kirara from GJ-bu.

Does Canada from Hetalia count as a Canadian? Come to think of it America and Canada are both blonde and the latter is often confused for the former so if anything it is an exemplification of the Japanese attitude towards Canada.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
It's not just Americans. In anime, If you're from the US, Canada or Europe, you're blond wih blue or green eyes.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Also, a foreign exchange student is more likely to be from England, which explains WHY they have blonde hair and blue eyes--like most characters from English novels that the Japanese only know from reading--and therefore represents the elegant "foreign" tea-time tradition of all Europe in the West.
(Sailor Venus, for example, only lived in wow-foreign England temporarily, to explain why she was just one of the Japanese girls, but still had blonde hair and was the best English speaker of the group.)

Now, as to the question of why Japanese comedies think Americans, despite their bumbling cluelessness, have a crazy violent streak, that's a more interesting question, although their belief that we all have "Mc-" last names can be blamed on fast-food restaurants.
And the idea that we have big Shaq-sized black cops in the city (like in Kaleido Star) is more a product of Hollywood
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Canada in anime is a little island somewhere near Maine where Anne of Green Gables (Osage no An) lives. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
SO true about this particular anime stereotype. From the top of my head though there's a couple of American characters in memorable nime that are not blonde.

Half the guys in Baccano do not have blonde hair

Chibodee Crockett- Fighter G Gundam

Revy-Black Lagoon

Kanuka Clancy- Patlabor (she's supposed to be half japanese. Funnily enough she's easily the most japanese looking character of all).

With Baccano, I would guess that the story being set in America made a difference.

Chibodee Crockett might not have been blonde, but they sure managed to throw a lot of very American seeming things into the character. Laughing
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Even English people are portrayed as blonde too.
Off the top of my head

Kinmoza- Alice and her mom and Karen

Detective Conan- Ai is half English, though her blonde hair is on brownish side. Fusae, Agasa's childhood friend is English. Conan also has blonde Americans as well in spoiler[FBI agents] Jodie Starling and James Black, the latter of whom was born in England so he counts as both English and American.

Hetalia- England as well as America and Canada

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
CoffeeCan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Yes, we're always lumped in with United States. At the very least we need proper Canadian stereotypes, coffee, lumberjacks, poutine, The Maritimes accent, RCMP, Igloos, and of course, Hockey.

I love Canadian stereotypes, so much fun you could have with them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5