• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV CG Film's Staff, Japanese Theatrical Screenings Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
It would be awesome is Sony Pictures and Square could get this even a limited theatrical release in the west, but the fact that we're confirmed to be getting a Blu-Ray release is more than enough for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing how all of this attempt at building up the world of FFXV will turn out. They're really going into overdrive now that we've got a solid release date.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
That CG is almost Pixar tier.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I still see this as a waste of time money and energy when Square Enix could be focusing on showing me more gameplay and evidence that the game is going to actually be good. I don't really get influenced by marketing hype like this, but show me the real goods and you'll probably get my attention. Square Enix and Sony just don't like to do it this way though, everything always has to be cross-marketed or stealth marketed or just plain weirdly marketed. This is what I kind of hate about what the gaming industry has become in all of its sheer excess and bloat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy XV is a make-it or break-it situation now. They've dedicated so much time and resources into this installment that it would be devastating if it didn't meet expectations.

My primary concern is the gameplay. JRPGs are just not as popular as they used to be and a lot of that has to do with different gameplay expectations. Final Fantasy XIII was not a crowning achievement and it's still fresh in a lot of people's minds.

I love the Final Fantasy series so I really hope that it can live up to its hype.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
I still see this as a waste of time money and energy when Square Enix could be focusing on showing me more gameplay and evidence that the game is going to actually be good. I don't really get influenced by marketing hype like this, but show me the real goods and you'll probably get my attention. Square Enix and Sony just don't like to do it this way though, everything always has to be cross-marketed or stealth marketed or just plain weirdly marketed. This is what I kind of hate about what the gaming industry has become in all of its sheer excess and bloat.

Actually a big part of the problem with the game industry especially with some game's is that there's too much promotion of certain games. I also wonder why you mention Sony and Square as if this game and it's marketing is a collaboration of sorts between the two of them.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm more excited for this than the game. I enjoyed Advent Children. A style over substance movie to be sure, but oh boy, when the style and action are this good I can dig it!

Only kinda wish it was also in stereoscopic 3-D.

Well, in a sense given this game's development troubles, it may be the case that they simply repurposed all the original CG cutscenes intended for Nomura's original vision of the game into a film. After all if they had already rendered out some stuff and built a lot of high quality assets over the years, whether for Versus or other projects that didn't get used, the film might be a good way of making use of those assets that would otherwise just lie there.

Also given how much AAA games cost to make these days, they need all the sales they can get. Trouble is that advertising is necessary to get them which is also an expense added to the dev costs. So media like this that branches out into other genres (comics/manga,novels,fashion,anime,movies with hollywood celebs) is a smart way of reaching a larger audience while also making money on what are essentially made-for-advertisement products.

If we still want our high tech big open world nice looking games, well, then this is why all the 'bloat' is necessary.

Also given that I believe Visual Works teamed with the same folks who made the CG Harlock? In which case the assets and costs are likely contributions from both sides.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Actually a big part of the problem with the game industry especially with some game's is that there's too much promotion of certain games. I also wonder why you mention Sony and Square as if this game and it's marketing is a collaboration of sorts between the two of them.

Well, the CG movie is as it's being distributed by Sony pictures. And the game is pretty much a defacto exclusive for PS4 in Japan, and heavily associated with PlayStation elsewhere, so it's in Sony's incentive to push.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Pffft, ha ha ha they cast Sean Bean as the king! Wonder what's going to happen to him? xD
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote

Umm if you were watching the Uncovered event yesterday, they showed a ton of TRAILERS with GAMEPLAY in it! PLUS, they released a DEMO that isn't related to the main FF15 story but its still GAMEPLAY that you can go play!!!! Honestly, this movie looks great and I wished some company in the US would pick it up and screen it in select theaters here...
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
I guess Aniplex of America will end up releasing the OVAs and film in the West.
Honestly if it was not for the artbook and soundtrack in the Collectors edition I'd be looking at how much the standalone release for these cost here and cancel my CE. Or sell it.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I hope this bundle of the film, anime, and game comes to the West. It's much more appealing than the deluxe edition I got.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any hope for FFXV. I think it's nice that game seems to target female audience this time but it feels so... dead. It's like "Oh let's tone down crazy hairdoo, make it open world and action-oriented. Western audience loves that shit! And the main character should look super bishonen or we are not going to sell the game in the east!"
Maybe that's just me.
Can't say i'm excited for the cg movie either. Looks incredibly generic.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
VoidWitch wrote:
I don't have any hope for FFXV. I think it's nice that game seems to target female audience this time but it feels so... dead. It's like "Oh let's tone down crazy hairdoo, make it open world and action-oriented. Western audience loves that shit! And the main character should look super bishonen or we are not going to sell the game in the east!"
Maybe that's just me.
Can't say i'm excited for the cg movie either. Looks incredibly generic.

You sound like you're screaming for moar boobs and generic almost all female casts eye candy,

But we all know that Square Enix's character art styles are always so damn pretty both genders look at FF7, I dont get why u rant right now just because they've added some extra sausage or sht moeless, you sound like an otaku virgin. I dont look at the artstyle ...but the game quality itself and d gameplay and it's quite promising. The theme this time is a modern-dark-gothic fantasy game so it should be... Dark. Much like FF7 but much more grimmed. characters should fit this badarse concept and leave all the fantasy-goku hairdo and go on a "realistic" style. if you're stuck in the soviet era and still wants the old 8-bit ish Character Square Enix fantasy turn-based goku-sonic design then ok no probs that's ur opinion.

Not to fret with all the pretty boy main cast the MC has actually a gorgeous fiancee and the girl will play a major role

(EDIT: I dont mind if Square Enix rides the open-world bandwagon, it's dope and slay).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1