• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Latest Berserk Promotional Video Streamed with English Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Its like they took CG and made it a 2D Artstyle????
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
From a musical perspective, the composer Hirasawa Susumu is like the predecessor of Sawano Hiroyuki. I expect a thrilling BGM Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Not liking the recent 'let's revive old series with terrible CG' trend. It's fine to use CG. People don't have a problem with CG. They have a problem with bad CG. And it's unfortunate, but good CG often costs more than it does to animate it without it. There's strong limitations to 3d modeling with cel shading as well that makes it look "off" in many circumstances unless you have a top notch studio.

In the end, it comes off as a lazy cashgrab
animemaster1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Looks terrible, unfortunately.
Isinfier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Shiro Sagisu is returning to compose the music?

That makes it a guaranteed watch.
Synder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't think it looks that bad. I will watch it regardless of the animation because it's a great story. Those that whine and boycott adaptions because of the art style are pretty stubborn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Synder wrote:
Honestly, I don't think it looks that bad. I will watch it regardless of the animation because it's a great story. Those that whine and boycott adaptions because of the art style are pretty stubborn.

So, you'd watch Berserk if it was animated by stick figures for the story? It's not "art style". It's not a decision based off of creative integrity but penny pinching and incompetence.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:
Not liking the recent 'let's revive old series with terrible CG' trend. It's fine to use CG. People don't have a problem with CG. They have a problem with bad CG. And it's unfortunate, but good CG often costs more than it does to animate it without it. There's strong limitations to 3d modeling with cel shading as well that makes it look "off" in many circumstances unless you have a top notch studio.

Agreed. I was ok when the previews of the movies had CG because I figured it was the only way they would animate the large battle scenes effectively. Unfortunately, they used it for much more than that, and most looked pretty bad.

I can't say I'm thrilled that it looks like most, if not all, of the new series will be CG. Although, I will admit my disappointment is tempered by the prospect of at least getting a new Berserk anime after years of waiting.
Evernessince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:

Allot of the CG we are seeing pop up in Anime is at the very least in part due to the lack of free hands in the industry. The number of anime shows has been increasing at a faster pace than artists joining the industry. It's not like the industry is the most appealing either. It requires an insane amount of work and the pay is low. Hopefully the continued worldwide appeal of anime and improved internet distribution can allow some of that cash to trickle down to the people actually making this stuff.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:34 am Reply with quote
Evernessince wrote:
Allot of the CG we are seeing pop up in Anime is at the very least in part due to the lack of free hands in the industry. The number of anime shows has been increasing at a faster pace than artists joining the industry. It's not like the industry is the most appealing either. It requires an insane amount of work and the pay is low. Hopefully the continued worldwide appeal of anime and improved internet distribution can allow some of that cash to trickle down to the people actually making this stuff.
More shows doesn't mean 3D animators are being spread thin. It should be mentioned that Traditional Animation and 3D are 2 different professions(some may know both, and a lot of 3D animators can draw, but that is rare for them to do both). If there is a problem it's that the 3D animators other there don't have the same level of skill as ones from NA.

On the topic of the amount of content increasing, there is more shows, but most of them are 13, as opposed to the previews 26 standard. As the amount of content is still the same.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
They should have given this to a real animation studio. Just look at what David Production has accomplished with Jojo and Mappa with Ushio&Tora. Getting something like this for a title like Berserk is a travesty.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Honestly, most of what I've seen in the trailers doesn't look that bad. In fact, getting some of the camera angles they have in the trailer without CG would be borderline impossible, and the style of shading would be very difficult to replicate consistently in 2D as well. Combine that with the very detailed designs in Berserk and using CG is really not that much of a problem. Granted, some of it definitely looks bad, but I guess that's the price we pay. I'll still be watching it regardless, because it's Berserk.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't care that it's CGI; I'll still be watching it.

I mean, style-wise, its quite obvious they were going to continue with the same animation route as the did with the movies to make it consistent.

The thing is, I'm happy to see them animating part of the story outside of the one story arc finally.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:
Synder wrote:

So, you'd watch Berserk if it was animated by stick figures for the story? It's not "art style". It's not a decision based off of creative integrity but penny pinching and incompetence.
Maaaaybe....
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
I thought CG use for upcoming TV series is better than movie. It's just that Japanese 3D animation team doesn't seem to have necessary traditional animation skills to emulate 2D looks fully. (Their use hatch-line shading is really tacky though). Good shots look like traditional animators drew over the CG model so that cel-shaded CG don't stick out like sore thumb. The biggest hurdle for CG animators is they really have to learn timing used in traditional animation, not just where to "draw" the lines.

Detailed armors and props depicted in manga is what prompted animation staff to use CG; so it's the design issue as there aren't many animators who are skilled enough to pump out insane detail in tight TV schedule. Nowadays TV anime demands more movements than usual pan & zoom and the manga is already action-packed as it is.

On interesting note, even the Berserk films ended up using more traditional animation by the third movie as CG couldn't come up with satisfactory visual.

Toshiyuki Kubooka intreviews
http://animestyle.jp/special/berserk
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1