• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bryn Apprill, Eric Vale Star in Funimation's Broadcast Dub Cast for First Love Monster Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, God. Why???? Evil or Very Mad How dare they drag Ian into this???

Last edited by Animechic420 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I feel so bad for those VAs. I mean, a job's a job and they've probably done much worse before, but good lord this was one of the worst things (in more ways than one) I've ever watched.
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes Funimation makes these not so good shows better with their dubs. I'm interested to see what they will do with it & if they can make it funny and somewhat entertaining.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
The fact that it's getting a broadcast dub means that, regardless of what we think of it, the series is doing well in streaming numbers.

Of course, I can also see why some voice actors might relish a chance to do something as unfathomably dumb as this one is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Key I agree completely. I can see voice actors & the writers really having fun interpreting this really silly show.
Cetais

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the shows these season, they decided to dub the one that makes me really, REALLY uncomfortable.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
The moment I read the summary of the first volume at Barnes and Noble, I dropped it like a hot potato. With that said, I actually know a lot of fangirls who love this series and think it's hilarious, so it doesn't shock me that much that it's getting a broadcast dub.

And a dub starring Eric Vale and Bryn Appril, not a main cast of newbies like their dub of the very corny Dance with the Devil. That's pretty telling to me, since I got the impression they use low tier anime to "train" newer VAs.

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
And the Endride award for "Broadcast dub no one ever asked for" goes to...

Quote:

The fact that it's getting a broadcast dub means that, regardless of what we think of it, the series is doing well in streaming numbers.

I've asked this every time a series no one seems to care about gets a broadcast dub, but every time the answer I get is that the dubs are determined before the series starts airing. So which is it? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to dub this or Endride or Divine Gate when nobody appears to be watching those shows. Considering only the first episode of most of those shows had aired when the dubs were announced, it seems like they're not considering the amount of people that may drop a series after a crappy first/third episode. As a business practice, it just looks like they're throwing money down the gutter with these unwanted dubs
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
Damn it sucks that they wasting money on this since from what I am hearing it is bad/no cares about it and premise definitely seems bad. Dance with Devils definitely fell under dub no wanted category at least to me.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:34 am Reply with quote
I feel so sorry for them. Eric Vale is a veteran and Bryn Appril is probably one of the best younger VAs currently working in the industry. Their talents shouldn't be wasted on this sick show. Well, at least this time they're dubbing shows AFTER streaming numbers come out. I hope for Funi's sake that this is getting decent numbers because they're probably kicking themselves for deciding to dub 24 episodes of Endride.

I hope Love Live doesn't get one of those crappy half assed broadcast dubs filled with amateurs. Obviously that would make no sense from a business perspective seeing as this show is far less popular than Love Live, but it's a possibility. Show by Rock's dub was really good so I'm hoping it's about as good as that.

Though if they want to bring new VAs I wouldn't mind hearing Sarah Wiedenheft.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
And the Endride award for "Broadcast dub no one ever asked for" goes to...

Quote:

I've asked this every time a series no one seems to care about gets a broadcast dub, but every time the answer I get is that the dubs are determined before the series starts airing. So which is it? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to dub this or Endride or Divine Gate when nobody appears to be watching those shows. Considering only the first episode of most of those shows had aired when the dubs were announced, it seems like they're not considering the amount of people that may drop a series after a crappy first/third episode. As a business practice, it just looks like they're throwing money down the gutter with these unwanted dubs

It just started streaming so casting, writing and the like must have started before streaming started. Have we gotten to the point that people think these broadcast dubs just happen automatically once the show gets streamed? How about considering that every previous season dubs started up after four episodes for production reasons, not the "the numbers aren't in yet" one.

Also, the numbers really aren't in; You'd want to know what your steady audience is, not how many people watched the premier episode.

What I'm thinking is that 1) This show was part of a package deal and 2) The studio mandated that it gets dubbed so they send certain materials, mostly scripts, to Funimation ahead of time. Which gives them a few days to finish the dub.

What other show gets its dub out right now after two episodes? Servamp, Arslan, Puzzle and Dragon.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
I REALLY don't understand this extreme negative reaction. Having not seen this show yet/having read the description and doing some googleing as well as sampling some of the 1st episode on Funi this supposed "Fifth grader" actually looks and sounds like an ADULT and I saw no sexual content so what exactly is the source of the outrage? because he's supposedly a "Fifth grader"? To that I say there are TONS and TONS of shows out there with young girls who look and sound sub 10 years old in which there is plenty of sexual content/situations usually always involving a much older male character and sure there are complaints by some people but no where close to this universal "outrage".... seems like an extreme overreaction/double standard because its "Shota" and not "loli" If the series in turn goes that route and he is in fact is a 5th grader and extreme sexual situations happen then I'll concede to others who find it "disgusting" just as I would in the loli situation but this just seems a whole lot like the Free situation with a bunch of men calling a show disgusting because it's more targeted at a female audience and not them.... (Of course I'm not saying only men can find this show unappealing)
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
I hope the fact that Love Live is getting dubbed on the later end means they're using that time to make a better dub. After all aside from Arlsan, a very mildly popular show that would require a lot less work given that it already has a cast, everything else getting dubbed after two weeks isn't popular at all.

Of course taking a gamble and dubbing a few not so popular 12 episode shows every now and then isn't gonna hurt. But why exactly are they dubbing a three cour kid's show that no one is watching? We'll probably never know. But I'll be incredibly surprised if they persevere and dub the entire show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I REALLY don't understand this extreme negative reaction.

Some people are probably very uncomfortable with the sexual stuff in this show. But to me the biggest problem with the show is that it is extremely dumb and the story/plot (if you can call it that) has no rhyme or reason from what I watched in episode 1.

And, like others here, I don't agree with Funimation's decision to dub this title because I am not sure if there is an audience for it. I am aware that dubs increase the chances of shows being successful, but First Love Monster is one of the worst anime I have ever come across. I am afraid Funimation is throwing money away.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Some people are probably very uncomfortable with the sexual stuff in this show. But to me the biggest problem with the show is that it is extremely dumb and the story/plot (if you can call it that) has no rhyme or reason from what I watched in episode 1.

And, like others here, I don't agree with Funimation's decision to dub this title because I am not sure if there is an audience for it. I am aware that dubs increase the chances of shows being successful, but First Love Monster is one of the worst anime I have ever come across. I am afraid Funimation is throwing money away.

Thanks for the reply! My comment wasn't saying the show was good, I'm neutral as it's far from complete to be able to watch it fully so no way for me to judge it but it was mostly regarding the extreme nature of the comments. Is there sexual stuff in the show? The 1st episode seemed pretty tame but to me it feels as if people are slamming it based on the description as if its boku no pico. Just surprised to see this kind of universal reaction when much worse (sexual content wise, not talking about good/bad) loli themed animes exist and don't seen to get anywhere near this universal comments. But like I said in my original comment if it ends up getting very sexual then I concede haha

Though I do agree that it's a very interesting choice of a dub to say the least. I love my dubs and to me the more the better but even super excited for the amount of broadcast dubs this season it does seems that a lot a few of them might night be worth the additional investment. Guess we shall see! Will give it a shot as with all the others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2