• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Olympic Athletes Prepare for Pokémon Go Withdrawals in Rio

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
They should be withdrawing from the Olympics. Not worth risking their lives and health in that third world country just for a medal. The rivers have hepatitis and the Australian team has been robbed already.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
They should be withdrawing from the Olympics. Not worth risking their lives and health in that third world country just for a medal. The rivers have hepatitis and the Australian team has been robbed already.

I agree. They never should have gotten the Olympics to begin with. The 2020 Olympics in Japan will be in a much better environment. Rio should stop worrying about Pokemon Go and worry about other, more important things instead.
Don Perron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm from Brazil and I have to agree. Things here is not good at all.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
They won't. Just as Fifa and it's corrupt bs heads won't back out of the World Cup in Qatar despite the heat and massive amounts of deaths from slave labor to build the stadium. With the Olympics and Fifa if you wanted them to leave you'd have to convince the financial supporters to back out. Get your Coke, McDonalds, Etc sponsors to back out and then you'd see change. Just as how the Olympics are all about equality and integrity but the winter olympics were in Russia. Great human rights cases there. All about money and politics. Rio is no different. Rolling Eyes
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
As a brazilian myself I'll have to say that living here is almost like living in a real-life dystopian book, to put it lightly. The only good thing that i'm hoping to come out from this Olympics is that all this spotlight may make the rest of the world finally see the hell we live instead of the ''parties-all-year-round-country'' stereotype.
But back on topic, I wonder if Pokemon GO will ever come here at all, considering our past history with game localizations.
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Olympics in North Korea, when?
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
He can try swimming at the bay.

I heard he can catch a Super Bug there.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
RitsuLaw wrote:
As a brazilian myself I'll have to say that living here is almost like living in a real-life dystopian book, to put it lightly. The only good thing that i'm hoping to come out from this Olympics is that all this spotlight may make the rest of the world finally see the hell we live instead of the ''parties-all-year-round-country'' stereotype.

I thought the major stereotype of Brazil is that they love football an awful lot. Incidentally the World Cup didn't seem to open up anyone's eyes as to what goes down there.
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
RitsuLaw wrote:

I thought the major stereotype of Brazil is that they love football an awful lot. Incidentally the World Cup didn't seem to open up anyone's eyes as to what goes down there.

After the World Cup fiasco I think that the football stereotype sort of went down quite a bit. Laughing
And yeah, you'd think that after the World Cup people would start to realize that something wrong may be going on, but I'm still hopeful that things will be different now with the Olympics, seeing that the international media is showing a lot more than they did back then.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
Oh boi I can't wait for female football world Cup in Saudi Arabia
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
They won't. Just as Fifa and it's corrupt bs heads won't back out of the World Cup in Qatar despite the heat and massive amounts of deaths from slave labor to build the stadium. With the Olympics and Fifa if you wanted them to leave you'd have to convince the financial supporters to back out. Get your Coke, McDonalds, Etc sponsors to back out and then you'd see change. Just as how the Olympics are all about equality and integrity but the winter olympics were in Russia. Great human rights cases there. All about money and politics. Rio is no different. Rolling Eyes

What happened to the big stepping down at FIFA (and Blatter somehow getting back up to the top) and various FIFA sponsors expressing their disappointment? Then again, what those sponsors are saying could've been PR and might not have indicated withdrawal of funds.

I always thought the one in Qatar made absolutely no sense whatsoever and felt like it was bought using oil riches, considering Qatar has never made it very far into the World Cup preliminaries.

RitsuLaw wrote:
After the World Cup fiasco I think that the football stereotype sort of went down quite a bit. Laughing
And yeah, you'd think that after the World Cup people would start to realize that something wrong may be going on, but I'm still hopeful that things will be different now with the Olympics, seeing that the international media is showing a lot more than they did back then.

Every country that's hosted the Olympics and the World Cup has pulled out all the stops to decorate the cities they're set in to be as attractive and inviting to tourists as possible. This is no more evident than the Olympics in Berlin during World War II and in Moscow during the Cold War: They put on their masks of friendliness with the Olympics, then went right back to how they normally were after they were over. The tourists in 2014 who went to go watch the World Cup matches most likely never got to see the uglier sides of the places they were in, staying at dressed-up nice hotels, getting premium uncontaminated imported water, and eating tourist food. They don't see any of the corruption or danger that goes on because it's always deliberately hidden from them.

It's Bizarre Foods, of all things, that's one of the few shows willing to go to the dark side of Brazil. The Rio de Janeiro episode spent most of its runtime in the favelas, and host Andrew Zimmern spoke with some of its crime lords.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
I heard they had a real life version of Muk and Grimer there.

This fiasco will continue to repeat as long as the Olympics keep moving around like some sort of mobile game.
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
Can't believe people are still talking about Pokemon GO
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
No Pokemon Go in Brazil........... and yet somehow and in just a few days since arriving at the Olympic village, Japanese world champion gymnast Kohei Uchimura managed to rack up almost $5,000 roaming charges for playing Pokemon Go in Brazil! Laughing

• Uchimura was stunned to receive a 500,000 yen ($4,900) mobile phone bill after playing the popular augmented-reality game, Kyodo news agency reported Tuesday.

Thankfully for him, his Japanese carrier service agreed to reduce his bill to a 3,000 yen ($30) daily all-you-can-use contract, Kyodo said.

(And how much is his cellphone carrier ripping him off from those roaming charges?)
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
Olympic athletes can't play Pokemon GO in Brazil?! Let me get the world's smallest violin out and play you a tune.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2