• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, August 1-7 [2016-08-10]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
And the legend lives on. Not surprisingly.
Lolca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Kimetsu no Yaibaaa!
I just hope they won't axe it
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I know the Jump volumes had only been out for about three days by this list's cutting date, but still isn't that a super steep drop for a Naruto property? Volume 72 sold 800k+ in the same amount of days. Maybe even the Japanese fandom is tired of them milking the franchise dry?
LegitSnivy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I know the Jump volumes had only been out for about three days by this list's cutting date, but still isn't that a super steep drop for a Naruto property? Volume 72 sold 800k+ in the same amount of days. Maybe even the Japanese fandom is tired of them milking the franchise dry?

Don't just come to the conclusion that it's the Japanese just getting tired of Naruto (I'm sure that is part of it.) but to be completely fair, a good amount of people are not keen on the art style, and let's be honest, people won't show the same amount of love for a Naruto work (Done by somebody else, mind you.) than they will for the original work.

On top of that, you shouldn't compare finale sales to the first work's sales.
It's just not that fair of a comparison.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I disagree. It'd be unfair if I said "Oh, Kimetsu no Yaiba vol. 2 isn't selling well, One Piece volume 82 is selling twenty times more". But Boruto doesn't exist in a bubble, in fact, it exists only because of Naruto's popularity, it is a continuation of Naruto, and as such it should be able to carry the fandom of that franchise over, but it isn't. IIRC the Scarlet whatever one-shot sequel sold quite well, so you might be right in that people don't want to follow a series with a different writer or artist, but my point is that the drop in popularity looks harsh.
Larkan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Kimetsu no Yaiba had a increase, its a series with a great reception in the magazine that doesn't sell well (its not a series that i see selling that much tbh)
Isobee didn't even manage to rank.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

It's also still retelling the Boruto film lets see if it picks up after it reaches original material.
LegitSnivy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:

I disagree. It'd be unfair if I said "Oh, Kimetsu no Yaiba vol. 2 isn't selling well, One Piece volume 82 is selling twenty times more". But Boruto doesn't exist in a bubble, in fact, it exists only because of Naruto's popularity, it is a continuation of Naruto, and as such it should be able to carry the fandom of that franchise over, but it isn't. IIRC the Scarlet whatever one-shot sequel sold quite well, so you might be right in that people don't want to follow a series with a different writer or artist, but my point is that the drop in popularity looks harsh.

Yeah, but the thing is, it's retelling something many others are already aware existed, and in the style of someone else.
No matter how much you wanna "Disagree" the fact is, people are more interested in Kishimoto's work, not the sloppy seconds of someone who worked under Kishi as an editor.
Just because something exists because of the popularity of another doesn't mean it 'should' sell well.
That's the mistake many companies have failed to market with in the past just because they assume their initial movie, or work was a success.
It doesn't imply it, the thing is, SOME things work, some don't.

I'm saying it's too early for you to judge it, I just think you're being a bit doom, and gloom on it.
And even if it does fail, who honestly cares, it's a spin off.
I'd be more enticed to agree if this was Kishi's work, but alas, it's not, so I just don't really feel the same way.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
That is precisely my point, which you seem to be missing. They probably pushed this project hoping it would continue with the same success the rest of the franchise has. Kishimoto is done and over, one could almost say sick of Naruto, so he didn't want to work on it. Shueisha, in its desire to make more money pushed it through anyway, and it's clearly not being as successful as they wanted it to. It's not a failure, but it's a crash landing for what is supposed to be the official continuation of Naruto.

I wasn't aware that they're replicating the story of the movie though -I don't follow Naruto-, so it might be as you say and attract more buyers once (if) it gets into new, original material
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Diminishing returns are pretty typical for sequels. But I doubt the publisher minds too much if it's not quite as popular as Naruto, given that it's still big enough to be the most popular manga of the week.

Also, Volume 72 was the final volume of one of the best selling mangas ever, it was bound to be a much stronger seller than the typical release. I'm sure a lot of people who hadn't read Naruto in years picked it up just to see how everything ended.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Also, Volume 72 was the final volume of one of the best selling mangas ever, it was bound to be a much stronger seller than the typical release. I'm sure a lot of people who hadn't read Naruto in years picked it up just to see how everything ended.

The argument would have some standing except that 700K+ in the first three-four days was about the norm for Naruto volumes during its last year or so, before it was even announced that it was ending
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Kishimoto doesn't draw Boruto; I honestly believe it's that simple an explanation.
LegitSnivy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

The argument would have some standing except that 700K+ in the first three-four days was about the norm for Naruto volumes during its last year or so, before it was even announced that it was ending

I know, but you're comparing the current Boruto manga to the final volume, not previous volumes.)
You have a list of people telling you the deal, and marketing of why the Boruto manga isn't doing nearly as well, and you're just not having it.

I get what you're trying to say, I just don't think any of us agree with what you're saying.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Hardly.

Lets not forget that currently they are just retelling the movie that everyone has already seen.

plus that horrible art...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I get what you're trying to say, I just don't think any of us agree with what you're saying..

I don't know how you can disagree with a fact though. Fact: There was a steep drop in sales from Naruto, and even the Gaiden, to this new Naruto/Boruto manga. I've already accepted the premise that this particular iteration of the franchise might be unpopular due to various circumstances (different art, writer, recycled story), and that it may not be a sign of fatigue from the fandom as it is indifference towards this sequel specifically (I don't follow Naruto, no idea if the sequel is good or not), or at the very least, this portion of the story. Drop in sales for the franchise is still a fact

Quote:

I know, but you're comparing the current Boruto manga to the final volume, not previous volumes.)

Volume 68 did 700K on its first five days. Volume 65, 620K in three days. Steep drop still stands. I don't get why you people are so argumentative about this very obvious fact
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2