• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shin Godzilla Film Earns 5.3 Billion Yen, Surpasses Evangelion 3.0's Gross

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:39 am Reply with quote
Obviously. It is the final Evangelion movie after all.
Dragon5xD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
How many theaters did screen Evangelion 3.0 and how many did screen Shin Godzilla? Isn't there quite a difference? If so, no wonder that Shin Godzilla has surpassed Evangelion 3.0. Also, Evangelion 3.0 is the 3rd movie of it's tetralogy while Shin Godzilla is not? The two movies are not really similar in that aspect, so it makes no sense in my opinion to FULLY compare both of the movies in terms of earnings. I'm still excited to see the new Godzilla movie and happy its doing well in theaters.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
Saw it in Singapore. In my opinion, it's brilliant.

Quick (spoiler-free?) review:

No more whiny protagonists with stories that I couldn't care less about with Godzilla as a backdrop. We now have a full-blown political thriller about how a country realistically deals with a giant monster. Silly bureaucracy, competing agendas, foreign affairs, threat response, disaster relief, it's all there with Godzilla as the main focus. We also finally have a little bit of a throwback to the original with Godzilla being a metaphor for nuclear power with references to WWII on the side. Excellent stuff.

Hideaki Anno's style was so obvious. The quick cuts, close ups, everyday scenes set to calming music and even sweeping lasers that slice through jets and buildings. They even used a bit of Evangelion (Nadia?) music in it! As an Evangelion fan, I couldn't help but smile and geek out~ (>.<)
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Shin Godzilla feels like an Evangelion film in disguise.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
#859678 wrote:
How many theaters did screen Evangelion 3.0 and how many did screen Shin Godzilla? Isn't there quite a difference? If so, no wonder that Shin Godzilla has surpassed Evangelion 3.0. Also, Evangelion 3.0 is the 3rd movie of it's tetralogy while Shin Godzilla is not? The two movies are not really similar in that aspect, so it makes no sense in my opinion to FULLY compare both of the movies in terms of earnings. I'm still excited to see the new Godzilla movie and happy its doing well in theaters.

Yeah, almost double the screens. Things like that seem to rarely be taken into account by fans, at least, when comparing things. Like comparing the GuP film to Madoka Rebellion, even though GuP has been in theaters for 40+ weeks, while Rebellion was only there for 14. To be fair, in this case, Godzilla is a bigger deal, just because it's Live Action and it's Godzilla, and by the time it has been in theaters for 12 weeks, like Eva 3, it'll make a lot more money than that did. But it's still a good idea to note details.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
If it gets released to a fairly wide release (at least 750), then the fan base here could help get the box office to exceed that amount.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1