• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inside the English Dub Premiere of Digimon Adventure Tri

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
I saw the premiere as well and I didn't expect most of the theater to be packed! It was definitely fun watching a Digimon movie in theaters again, felt like I was 7 again and watching the first Digimon movie. The nostalgia was very strong in this one.

For my experience the voice that got the most cheers for returning was Tentomon's and Agumon's. When they spoke for the first time we erupted with a "YES" and some even applauded. For me, Mimi is my favorite character out of the entire Digjmon franchise so having Philice Sampler back to play her most iconic role had me grinning. She managed to hit ever point of Mimi's personality perfectly even after so long.

Now personally I didn't think Vic Mignogna was that distracting as a replacement for Matt. Even if his voice is too recognizable it's always his performances that I enjoy. And I thought he did fine for the most part cause I like it when Vic plays angry and pouty characters and Matt's pretty pouty in this movie. But admittedly it was weird at first since it is a far cry from his original voice.

It's actually Robbie Daymond who I had a problem getting used to and still can't. I love Robbie, he's one of my favorite new VAs and his performances are strong, even in tri. But something about the voice and tone he used for Joe just didn't feel like Joe to me and unlike with Vic as Matt I couldn't get used to it. Maybe once the second movie is dubbed I would get a better feel since Joe is more involved in that one.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As the movie finished out with a special thank-you message from Crunchyroll and a preview of the first several minutes of the third movie to come, it was a terrific night to be a Digimon fan

How in the heck did that make sense? Regardless of it being reported beforehand to let people know, by simply using nursery level counting, common sense would tell you that is a bad idea. 3 is not the next number after 1. 2 comes after 1. I don't care about the English dub(My purpose for coming here was for Part 3 being mentioned), but English dub only fans just got spoiled, and I heard there was negative feedback from that from that on different forums. Fully justified. Who the heck thought it was a good idea to give the OK on that? Japanese sub watchers and English dub watchers are not one in same. Stay in your own lane.
RoninX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Quote:
As the movie finished out with a special thank-you message from Crunchyroll and a preview of the first several minutes of the third movie to come, it was a terrific night to be a Digimon fan

How in the heck did that make sense? Regardless of it being reported beforehand to let people know, by simply using nursery level counting, common sense would tell you that is a bad idea. 3 is not the next number after 1. 2 comes after 1. I don't care about the English dub(My purpose for coming here was for Part 3 being mentioned), but English dub only fans just got spoiled, and I heard there was negative feedback from that from that on different forums. Fully justified. Who the heck thought it was a good idea to give the OK on that? Japanese sub watchers and English dub watchers are not one in same. Stay in your own lane.

Oh shaddup
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
I had wished they would have remixed the digivolution song as well, i know that would have got a big response form the crowd but no they just had to cater to the Japanese Digimon music loving fans
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
My theater had the same error message pop up FOUR times throughout the movie. It was only for a second each time, but every time it did, the movie suddenly jumped ahead a few seconds. I think the fourth time it came up, it jumped about 20 seconds. Pretty annoying...

Anyway, it was great hearing the original and new voices.

I wonder if previewing Chapter 3 would have been less spoilery if they just skipped over the wall of text that explained what happened in Chapter 2, which I have yet to watch on Crunchyroll.
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
It was great to hear Joshua Seth coming back, except I kind of felt bad for him. He is in Salt Lake City at the State Fair doing his hypnotist act. I messaged him on Facebook telling him he did awesome and that it was a packed house at my theater and everyone liked it. He asked me where I saw the movie. It turns out he snuck into a theater in Salt Lake to see it with a live audience and it wasn't even half full. Of course I told him saw it in a theater in West Jordan about 20 miles south of Salt Lake. He seemed relieved it was a packed house elsewhere in Utah. Stupid Salt Lake City Digimon fans. Lol. [/img]
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah my theater was completely empty. Weird because the DBZ movies sold out 3 showings here... I would have thought Digimon had enough of the same fans to grab at least a 3rd of that. Glad to hear it was packed in some other places.

So I enjoyed the experience greatly, but wow did the art/animation suck. I mean, I watched the subbed version on Crunchyroll so I wasn't expecting beauty, but being blown up on the big screen I could see all the stray lines, miscolors and awkward anatomy in all its glory. Toei, if you're gonna turn a TV series into movies on the big screen, you need to clean up your animation a little first.

And I completely agree about Vic. Like he makes a suitable voice for Matt in theory, but he's both so distinctive sounding and completely different than both the English and Japanese dub it just feels wrong, like Matt went through reverse puberty or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blue Chocobo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:

This right here... everything you just said....

This is exactly everything that is WRONG with anime fanboys.

YOU are everything that is wrong with anime fanboys.

This entitled, disrespectful, self-righteous, egregiously ELITIST, irritating, pompous weeabooishness.

Shut up. Do not talk anymore. Do not say another word. You make us all look horrible just by existing. You do not belong here. Go away. Now.

Wow, that is an incredibly rude response to a simple complaint. I think they do have a point - there were a lot of people at the showings, myself included, who were drawn in by the nostalgic appeal of hearing the dub cast again, and so were seeing the movie for the first time last night. The issue isn't really the fact that they showed some of the third movie - I'm glad they did, and it only vaguely mentioned some things in the second movie, so it didn't really spoil anything. I think what people are complaining about is the fact that before the preview, there was a recap that apparently explained everything that happened in the second. They could have easily left that part out for American audiences.

On the other hand, I don't completely agree with the complaints - it was a text recap, so I'm not sure why so many people who hadn't seen part 2 read the whole thing. I just closed my eyes when I realized what was going on.
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Yeah my theater was completely empty. Weird because the DBZ movies sold out 3 showings here... I would have thought Digimon had enough of the same fans to grab at least a 3rd of that. Glad to hear it was packed in some other places.

So I enjoyed the experience greatly, but wow did the art/animation suck. I mean, I watched the subbed version on Crunchyroll so I wasn't expecting beauty, but being blown up on the big screen I could see all the stray lines, miscolors and awkward anatomy in all its glory. Toei, if you're gonna turn a TV series into movies on the big screen, you need to clean up your animation a little first.

And I completely agree about Vic. Like he makes a suitable voice for Matt in theory, but he's both so distinctive sounding and completely different than both the English and Japanese dub it just feels wrong, like Matt went through reverse puberty or something.

Part of the reason it didn't look as nice as it could have is because Fathom Events streams it's footage to the theaters. Its not a hard copy on a hard drive like most movies. It's a lesser resolution than most theater movies. Whenever I heard Matt speak I thought of Vic and not the character. It look me out of the movie a little bit.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:

Part of the reason it didn't look as nice as it could have is because Fathom Events streams it's footage to the theaters.

Oh! I meant to explain this a little more thoroughly. I was aware of this about Fathom Events. I'm talking about the animation quality specifically and not the picture quality (although I swear it looked especially bad this time, but that could have just been my theater). The outlines were really messy in places with stray lines and uneven thickness. Lots of "derpy" faces in long shots, which are typical in cheap anime, but they're usually not noticeable unless you look for them or watch on a very large screen... like a movie theater. Also lots of bad anatomy, especially in the legs - specifically around the end when they are in Izzy's office there's a shot of Gabumon sitting where his hind legs look to be much skinnier than his front.

From everything I noticed I'm seriously considering gathering all the shots for a huge "quality" thread when the blu-ray comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
But the dub was actually really good. It was an interesting mix of some of the jokey parts of the old dub, but totally faithful. Kind of surreal really. Hearing Matt yell "I'm pissed off" threw me off. Vic did fine as Matt, though I probably would switched him and Johnny. I can see people who are more attached to the old dub being put off by this, outside of the shitty theme song in the beginning, its a standard dub production. Ending song is retained and everything.

Watching this movie on a big screen reminded me of how sloppy the movie looks in general. Seriously ugly in some parts.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
For me, the only two distractingly different VAs was Joe and Gabumon - Gabumon especially. Gabumon's voice is hard to mimic, for sure, but it sounded so different compared to the other digimon that it threw me off. I liked everyone else a lot, and hearing Tai, Izzy, the other Digimon, and "Prodigious!" just gave me all sorts of sappy wonderful feelings. I'm so glad they came back, it really made it special.

In Boise, the theater was about half full.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
For me, the only two distractingly different VAs was Joe and Gabumon - Gabumon especially. Gabumon's voice is hard to mimic, for sure, but it sounded so different compared to the other digimon that it threw me off. I liked everyone else a lot, and hearing Tai, Izzy, the other Digimon, and "Prodigious!" just gave me all sorts of sappy wonderful feelings. I'm so glad they came back, it really made it special.

In Boise, the theater was about half full.

Erm, Gabumon was reprised by Kirk Thornton. It was the same voice, by the same voice actor. It sounded 100% the same to me, although admittedly it's always been an odd-sounding voice so maybe you're just remembering it different from childhood. ^^;
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Wingbeats wrote:
-snip- .

Erm, Gabumon was reprised by Kirk Thornton. It was the same voice, by the same voice actor. It sounded 100% the same to me, although admittedly it's always been an odd-sounding voice so maybe you're just remembering it different from childhood. ^^;

Oooh, derp. So it was. Huh, why did it sound so different then, lol. Obviously, I need to re-watch my Adventure DVDs now, hah. Maybe my brain is just being weird and focused in on that one.

Edit: Also, I see people talking about goodie bags? We didn't get goodie bags. Were those location-exclusive or something?
Blue Chocobo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
Oooh, derp. So it was. Huh, why did it sound so different then, lol. Obviously, I need to re-watch my Adventure DVDs now, hah. Maybe my brain is just being weird and focused in on that one.

Edit: Also, I see people talking about goodie bags? We didn't get goodie bags. Were those location-exclusive or something?

The first time that Gabumon spoke, it sounded different from his old voice to me (and I made the same assumption you did), but the rest of the film I recognized it. So maybe the first line tripped you up too?

As for the other point, I remember hearing that there was a showing in California with the actual dub cast that gave out goodie bags, and I know that some theaters (especially in Canada) got a drawing of Tai and Agumon. My theater didn't get anything, though. I'm not sure if they only sent out those materials to some theaters or if some of the theaters just didn't bother to give them out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3