• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miss Hokusai Film's New English-Dubbed Trailer Streamed Before Friday Opening

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
What is it with GKids and accents, most dubs go for a more toned down accent if the show/film has a heavy Japanese setting. GKids on the other hand leave in these strong accents that clash heavily. I don't even get why they dubbed it anyway, it is doing every well at a lot of cinema screenings, it appeals to the art crowd and it fits into a more niche part of the fandom.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
For those who still haven't seen it, don't go in expecting a consistent plot. It's more a series of vignettes that slowly develop the characters, and in the end it just kinda stops in the middle.

Not that that's a bad thing. Its just that this film doesn't follow the traditional story structure, that's all.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
^I try to keep open to new things but it can be difficult to keep certain expectations in check. Also appreciate any info but honestly I'm reluctant to find out more about this before mine arrives.

Doesn't help that these tidbits are too tempting to pass up. And oddly enough I like the sound of that english voice (which is normally not my first choice). But wouldn't you know it I don't think the one I ordered is a hybrid. Mad

MarshalBanana wrote:
....I don't even get why they dubbed it anyway...

To increase potential sales by increasing the potential audience?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
....I don't even get why they dubbed it anyway...

To increase potential sales by increasing the potential audience?
As I explained in my post the main audience that would watch this is not really bothered about that, there's even appeal in it for none Anime watchers, film critics who who love foreign and art house films. Dubbing it won't do any harm, but it won't expanded the audience. Anyone who wouldn't want to watch this subbed, is unlikely to have much interest in it in the first place. This isn't Patema Inverted, where a dub is important as the film had a lot of potential. I'm sure that they are a big company who can afford to throw money, but it is still worth mentioning.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
The animation looks marvelous and the voices sound fantastic! Smile I'm excited to watch this film.

MarshalBanana wrote:
What is it with GKids and accents, most dubs go for a more toned down accent if the show/film has a heavy Japanese setting. GKids on the other hand leave in these strong accents that clash heavily.

Not sure where you got that from, as I hear no accent in this trailer. Confused
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I can't discuss who might like this as I haven't viewed all of it to make that type of assessment.

MarshalBanana wrote:
.. Dubbing it won't do any harm, but it won't expanded the audience.

how exactly does one prove this? predicting the future simply because they added an audio option?

Don't you have to at least offer the choice to find out?

Not a fan of intentional exclusiveness here. just saying.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
.. Dubbing it won't do any harm, but it won't expanded the audience.

how exactly does one prove this? predicting the future simply because they added an audio option?

Don't you have to at least offer the choice to find out?

Not a fan of intentional exclusiveness here. just saying.
Well yes it's a prediction, but it is based in fact. I didn't just pull stuff out of the air, this has been shown at a lot of events and is an arthouse film. It has a target audience, and that audience will watch it in it's original language, I've met plenty of people like that. The reason I mentioned another GKids film is because I felt it gave an example of something that benefited from being dubbed as it is a kids film, and had a more broader appeal.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Dubbing increases the potential audience size in general, and even though this movie wasn't made specifically for children, it's not inappropriate for children either. Miss Hokusai will probably end up streaming on Amazon and/or Netflix, and a dub will definitely help it then.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Dubbing increases the potential audience size in general, and even though this movie wasn't made specifically for children, it's not inappropriate for children either. Miss Hokusai will probably end up streaming on Amazon and/or Netflix, and a dub will definitely help it then.

Appropriate for children?! They LITERALLY draw Hentai in this! LITERALLY!

Not to mention the visits to brothels (which there are at least two). No nudity, but 'okay for kids' is a bit of a stretch.

As for dubbing, there will always be the select few who won't watch anything subbed. Last night at a session of Shin Godzilla people started complaining it wasn't dubbed, got out of their seats and then didn't come back.

They probably went to complain and didn't find what they were looking for. I doubt they got a refund.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
..Appropriate for..., not to mention...

Mentioning the fact that this has a scene depicting hentai as if that's an automatic red flag warning and should deter "LITERALLY" everyone else is what?

Assuming and presuming who else may take a chance on this. With or with out children, dedicated or casual, intentional or otherwise.

@MarshalBanana
There are others that just may want to bring a friend along to that same said arthouse? Don't the odds of succeeding at doing so go up if it's made more accessible? As in being shown in their native tongue.

point is still the same, increasing the potential audience is and can be a good thing. artsy fartsy, kids, doesn't matter which because it all circles back, adds something that's a plus for all of the fans. Not just the ones in the know and completely up to speed on all the finer details.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Deciding when to dub and when not to is not an exact science. To a certain extent, it doesn't matter what a film actually is, the distributor also looks at how it can be marketed. Clearly GKids decided to roll the bones and dub (which is virtually a necessity if you're planning a theatrical release). Time will tell if it was a good decision or not.
lem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote

Couldn't agree with you more on that.

And speaking of time telling, how long has this art survived and been paid homage to in various other works?

GKids marketing just may think there are more than dedicated anime fans that have possibly heard of or seen imagery attributed to some guy named Hokusai.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
..Appropriate for..., not to mention...

Mentioning the fact that this has a scene depicting hentai as if that's an automatic red flag warning and should deter "LITERALLY" everyone else is what?

Assuming and presuming who else may take a chance on this. With or with out children, dedicated or casual, intentional or otherwise.

@MarshalBanana
There are others that just may want to bring a friend along to that same said arthouse? Don't the odds of succeeding at doing so go up if it's made more accessible? As in being shown in their native tongue.

point is still the same, increasing the potential audience is and can be a good thing. artsy fartsy, kids, doesn't matter which because it all circles back, adds something that's a plus for all of the fans. Not just the ones in the know and completely up to speed on all the finer details.

Adult content and adult themes are different. I don't think younger kids should watch that.

13 and up? Sure. No problem.
lem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote

@ Lord Dcast

of course, that's a given, but I wouldn't be surprised if Japanese parents took their kids to see it?

So who else, besides me, do you think would enjoy seeing this? just curious about what the appeal would be since you've already seen it. (and not any more of the content, no spoilers please, thanks).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
The thing that my attention in it's Encyclopedia entry was that the Spanish (Spain Spanish) for O-Ei' voice was Lucy Hearfilia and Asuna Yuuki. Cherami Leigh also did those 2 voices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2