• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Voice Thailand Contestant Belts Out Dragon Ball Z Theme

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I saw this last week by luck. That was pretty awesome. I hope more people continue to use anime songs during contests.
Dextres

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Damn, the men is good.

Kudos.
romanmack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Notice how this was in Thailand and not America. Lol

If this was America, he'd probably be greeted by a bunch of awkward "wtf is he doing?" faces, while then being ridiculed for choosing an anime song over a billboard top 40 song.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
What's not specified here is that he sings a Saint Seiya theme as well about 6 and a half minutes in. It's pretty awesome.
City_Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I was impressed that the house band just jumped right in for the songs.
Majikza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
He actually said Kamekameha not Kamehameha I believe so he pulled a Goten..I believe Goten said that instead if I remember right lol.
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
Pretty good Pegasus Fantasy. He should go for Soldier Dream too!
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:

If this was America, he'd probably be greeted by a bunch of awkward "wtf is he doing?" faces, while then being ridiculed for choosing an anime song over a billboard top 40 song.

Yup! And the producers would want to make a VT showing just how much of a kooky Japanophile you are.

I'd like to hear more singers on these competitions trying stuff in other languages. Not like opera, but idk, a challenge one week to sing a famous pop song from another country. It'd be an interesting technical challenge to say the least.
TCJJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
I don't understand how The Voice works at all, but I love it. The moment he started singing it, everyone stopped caring about how well he sung or even who was singing - they just seemed to all be rocking out to the song (as they should).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:

Because logically why would you sing a song most people in the U.S. have never heard....especially one that's primarily not in english (and doesn't sound good in english on top of that)?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
romanmack wrote:

Because logically why would you sing a song most people in the U.S. have never heard....especially one that's primarily not in english (and doesn't sound good in english on top of that)?

Well, the point of the show is to showcase how well you sing, doesn't really matter what you sing, to some degree. Think you have to find a song, that you can sing passionately and sing it well. If you can pull off a foreign language song, the audience doesn't really need to know the words, it is just how well you can transport them with your music.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
[
Well, the point of the show is to showcase how well you sing, doesn't really matter what you sing, to some degree. Think you have to find a song, that you can sing passionately and sing it well. If you can pull off a foreign language song, the audience doesn't really need to know the words, it is just how well you can transport them with your music.

While that might work in some instances say for example with Opera it doesn't really work for other things.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
So awesome when he started singing Pegasus Fantasy :3
vision33r

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
In America they would only allow American Pop. The problem is the way Pop music is in America today, 20 years later most Americans will still be singing songs from the 2000 and older. Today's pop music is just horrid, no identity. Too much regurgitated and echos not much real singing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1