• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD TV Channel Lists 1st Yo-kai Watch Film on November 12-14

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Yo-Kai Watch is still on Disney xd the show must be pretty popular to still be on giving Disney's track record with Anime. Confused
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I'm surprised that Yo-Kai Watch is still on Disney xd the show must be pretty popular to still be on giving Disney's track record with Anime. Confused

Well they are doing the new season currently. I guess it's because like Pokémon, it's popular enough to help sell the games...unlike poor Doraemon, who had no affiliated merchandise to go with his show (and not one single game of his ever saw localization). Maybe it could also be because we were watching episodes from a show that originally aired back in 2005 and nobody was interested.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

I think the merchandise has been doing pretty well, and if toys etc. sell the show, it keeps going. I've actually seen some kids out and about wearing Yo-kai clothes and checking out the toys in stores and being familiar with it. So, it's marketing push has at least worked.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Since I was unable to attend a nearby theater that had Yōkai Watch: The Movie, this will be my chance to see it. Smile
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Well they are doing the new season currently. I guess it's because like Pokémon, it's popular enough to help sell the games...unlike poor Doraemon, who had no affiliated merchandise to go with his show (and not one single game of his ever saw localization). Maybe it could also be because we were watching episodes from a show that originally aired back in 2005 and nobody was interested.

Doraemon technically has affiliated merchandise here in the US, but it's online exclusive (http://shop.doraemon.com/). But you're definitely right that seemingly nobody was interested in the series. Guess some kids thought that the series was a Fairly OddParents ripoff, which I'd be surprised if that was the case since Doraemon was created almost three decades earlier.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Since I was unable to attend a nearby theater that had Yōkai Watch: The Movie, this will be my chance to see it. Smile

Same with me! Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
Doraemon technically has affiliated merchandise here in the US, but it's online exclusive (http://shop.doraemon.com/). But you're definitely right that seemingly nobody was interested in the series. Guess some kids thought that the series was a Fairly OddParents ripoff, which I'd be surprised if that was the case since Doraemon was created almost three decades earlier.

I wonder if anyone even knew about this store, because this is my first time hearing of it.

Hmph, I bet Doraemon would have been more popular if the show was about catching and befriending other robot animals from the future. I guess goofy comedy adventure slapstick shows don't work unless they're on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon (though it's not like Yo-Kai Watch isn't full of that all the time). It's clearly all about game sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1