• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film's 'Shelling Sequence' Clip Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
Okay, this was definitely a plus in the movie's favor. Especially the music. I hope it's actually in the film.
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
Impressive. Tone down the epilepsy though.
Yuki_Higure

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote
Movie's looking more and more amazing.

[Edit]: removed insults. Let's feel vindicated in a polite and respectful manner. Errinundra.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
That was a lot more like the sequence in the original GITS anime film than I thought it would be. Very well done. Cool
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
It looks like they're really trying to match the feel of the original movie. That alone is a pretty good sign since most anime adaptations that go wrong do so because they don't seem to understand the source material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
I love the hand/fingers shot, reminiscing from the anime movie, the subtle details like that are pretty amazing. I'm moved.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
Here's the thing: they're pretty much just trying to remake the original, this is pretty close to it. I don't think that's necessarily a good thing; if you're going to remake something you may as well have a different take on it. Otherwise what's even the point? As it is this is just a slightly harder to see version of the opening from the original, so you may as well watch that.

I don't think a remake is even necessary. Remakes make the most sense when the original had an interesting concept but failed in some way, so you can take another crack at it. Otherwise, at least a different interpretation of the source material can be interesting. I dunno, not sold.
amc9988

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Here's the thing: they're pretty much just trying to remake the original, this is pretty close to it. I don't think that's necessarily a good thing; if you're going to remake something you may as well have a different take on it. Otherwise what's even the point? As it is this is just a slightly harder to see version of the opening from the original, so you may as well watch that.

I don't think a remake is even necessary. Remakes make the most sense when the original had an interesting concept but failed in some way, so you can take another crack at it. Otherwise, at least a different interpretation of the source material can be interesting. I dunno, not sold.

I guess it will be impossible to make everyone happy huh? When hollywood change the story and does not follow the source material everyone complained. Now, they finally tried to follow the source material and there is still a complain that it follows the source material? laughable, the fanbase is laughable.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote
Wow. Bringing back the classic music? I'm definitely sold now, they definitely hit that geek nerve, now I'm excited.

EnigmaticSky wrote:

Past interviews with the producer seem to indicate that this movie is actually going to take different elements from across the GiTS franchise. In particular, the plot is supposed to be heavily based on episodes from SAC and 2nd Gig.

The video is also hard to see probably because it was recorded by camera at a press event.
glock78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
amc9988 wrote:

I guess it will be impossible to make everyone happy huh? When hollywood change the story and does not follow the source material everyone complained. Now, they finally tried to follow the source material and there is still a complain that it follows the source material? laughable, the fanbase is laughable.

They're not FOLLOWING shit.

They (or more precisely Rupert Sanders, director of such hits as "Snow White and the Huntsman - or how I ended up ruining my marriage by [expletive] my lead actress") are copy/pasting.
Replacing drawings with... CGI drawings. WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!

Copying a scene shot for shot is not art nor does it take skill. Particularly when the end result is such an inferior product.
Comparing the scene to the original it is an obviously slapped together and shoddy production which can't afford full time the original took nor can it afford the slower, meditative rhythm or the 1995 intro.
In fact, it rushes to finish as soon as possible so much, suddenly it all turns into just a scene of lights flashing into audience's eyes. I half expect the movie to end with a fade to black followed by a gunshot.

1995 sequence FEELS like you're watching some sacred ritual - whether you know what is being chanted or not.
You may not yet get the symbolism on the first viewing but it clicks on the second that the entire story was about transcending to some higher form of existence.
Rupert doesn't get this. Nor do his writers. Nor do Arads who are producing this as just another comic book movie.
"You like Spider-Man kids? Well this is like Spider-Man. Only with a lady in it."

Artistic incompetence and lack of understanding reeks out of every shot shown thus far. This is just another cynical cash grab boys and girls.
If it weren't, it would have gone to the ACTUAL source material and adapted that.
Not use it as a ready-made storyboard - adapt it.
Like what Oshii did. Or what Kamiyama did. Or even what Kise did with Arise.
Artists will, by their own nature, adapt the story and present it as seen through the lens of their own mind. Show us what THEY feel the story is actually about.
This crap doesn't even have personal style, let alone any artistic input.
It's manual labor by a third-grade hired hand. Like the work done by the guy you might hire to do the tiles in your bathroom.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
amc9988 wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Dude, I just don't think the movie needs remade in the first place. Is that really laughable? I don't think movies that already accomplished what they set out to do need to be remade. I'd rather see something original, or if you are remaking something, then do a completely different perspective on something (I mean the animated LotR and the live action version are different enough to both merit a watch, rather than one just being a better version than the other). Or you can choose to remake something that failed and see how you can improve it. Otherwise you're pretty much just microwaving the leftovers from when you went out to eat. No need to be so standoffish dude, just chillax.

Kikaioh wrote:
Wow. Bringing back the classic music? I'm definitely sold now, they definitely hit that geek nerve, now I'm excited.
Past interviews with the producer seem to indicate that this movie is actually going to take different elements from across the GiTS franchise. In particular, the plot is supposed to be heavily based on episodes from SAC and 2nd Gig.

The video is also hard to see probably because it was recorded by camera at a press event.

Sounds like it could be neat. Kinda curious how they could draw plot from multiple series and have it all work.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
Its okay, but I think the original sequence was at the same time a lot more techie, and a lot more spiritual. Which brings up a concern that much of the movie questions what is it to be human.

I remember a powerful moment is when one of the garbage collectors goes on about his family for several scenes, and slowly over more scenes they add questions to this, and then reveal his memories were all fabricated. I worry for the weight of those moments if such an iconic opening to a movie that is also quite heavy turns out to be forgettable.

We shall see. At least it is attempting to keep close so far. Many adaptations have already given up by this point.
Zepoleba

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
First off I'd like to say that I'm going to see this film in the theaters even though I am expecting it to be bad. If I get my fanboy feelings hurt, I'll just chalk it up to another fail by "going Hollywood", which typically means something negative. The real shame in my opinion is the general racism of Hollywood productions and the audiences they pander to. Why not give a Hollywood budget to a guy like Mamoru Oshii to direct a live action film with Japanese actors? Why is that so out of the question? Because Americans are not interested in watching Asian actors on screen unless they are running from Godzilla? Either way, Americans will always default to American filmmakers instead of great filmmakers. That's why "going Hollywood" means hear comes some trash instead of here comes some a great film. But, at the end of the day good or bad, I'm still grateful it's getting made.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Here's the thing: they're pretty much just trying to remake the original, this is pretty close to it. I don't think that's necessarily a good thing; if you're going to remake something you may as well have a different take on it.

It's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you remake a movie that's too close to the original work you wind up with Psycho remake. If you try to make a different take you wind up with something like like the Thing remake which is almost nothing like the John Carpenter original.

EnigmaticSky wrote:
I don't think a remake is even necessary. Remakes make the most sense when the original had an interesting concept but failed in some way, so you can take another crack at it.

And if it fails just like the original?

Otherwise, at least a different interpretation of the source material can be interesting. I dunno, not sold.[/quote]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
glock78 wrote:

Copying a scene shot for shot is not art nor does it take skill.

Opinion invalidated.

Quote:
Comparing the scene to the original it is an obviously slapped together and shoddy production which can't afford full time the original took nor can it afford the slower, meditative rhythm or the 1995 intro.

So, your problem is that it isn't quite as masturbatory and self-indulgent as Oshii himself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2