• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Women Who Changed Manga History

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
So, i voted for Konosuba, Hand Shakers and ToZ's 2nd cour. It's funny, because I'd vote for Chaos;Child instead of Hand Shakers if I didn't know that C;C's apparently only gonna be 12 episodes, and the VN's longer than S;G, so it's easy to know that unless SL are doing that thing were they plan to announce a 2nd batch of episodes after a seasonal break (so, for summer or fall) at the end of the season, the adaptation's gonna be a mess.

I'll check it out with hopes of the secret split cour happening, but as soon as VN readers point out red flags if they show up (such as certain events happening to early because they have to rush the adaptation to fit the story from beggining to end into 12 episodes), I'm dropping it and waiting for the VN (which'll be localized)..
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Among other influential albeit perhaps not on breaking new ground female mangaka is definitely Rumiko Takahashi, at least on the Western front. Oh, and CLAMP of course...
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
On the grounds that she proved that a manga artist, male or female, could be greatly successful, here's another vote for Rumiko Takahashi. Entertained a ge-normous number of people with her comedy, including me. And got seriously rich, for an artist. Tho' not by doing new artistic things, just doing what she did do very well.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Rumiko Takahashi was definitely a very successful Manga artist, both at home and abroad. But I don't think she had much effect on the industry, at the very least not to the effect these ladies did.
DQBunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
How can you have a list like this and not have Rumiko Takahashi?

Reading about the other mangaka was fascinating, especially the ones I hadn't heard of, but leaving Takahashi and her successes off this list is really, really odd.

Edit: Re-reading the first bit, the article focuses on the Year 24 group (born around 1949) and Takahashi was born in 1957, so nearly a decade younger. But the headline itself is pretty misleading. It really should focus on the Year 24 group or influencing manga in the 1970s, not the 7 women who changed manga history.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
As the opening paragraph states, this list is about The Year 24 Group specifically, a known group of women who heavily changed the manga landscape at a specific time in history. So while Rumiko Takahashi may be influential, she wasn't from the generation that Lynzee specifically stated this List was covering.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, considering that it's a very specific group of women, I reckon the title should be changed so people don't start shouting things like "RAAAAWRWHEREISRUMIKOTAKAHASHI" or "GIMMEMYCLAMP"

I'd say that the title is definitely misleading.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Among other influential albeit perhaps not on breaking new ground female mangaka is definitely Rumiko Takahashi, at least on the Western front. Oh, and CLAMP of course...

I did find Clamp's omission peculiar seeing as how influential they were mid 2000's (Chobits anyone) and are relevant to this day to the point of attracting attention when they are tied to a project.
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
This list just made me remember we're still waiting for Udon's Rose of Versailles release. Of which the first volume was supposed to come out Second Quarter 2016...
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect to see Yasuko Aoike on the list, but it was a pleasant surprise. Eroica felt like the Get Smart TV show in manga form. Her sense of humor had me actually laughing out loud on some pages, and I've never found anything like it since. Was so sad when CMX went under after releasing less than half (a third?) of it--wish I'd bought the volumes instead of borrowing them from the library a few years ago.

I don't know what impact it had on the industry, but it's unique for sure--a 70's War spy comedy led by a Robert Plant look-alike and a dude who runs a part of NATO whose members go by letters of the alphabets 007-style. I wonder if it's still in the 70's-ish era in the manga universe?
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
"Which of these characters do you think would be suitable for a country's highest office?"

Donald Trump (Baki)

Anime hyper
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
ConnormonCat wrote:
This list just made me remember we're still waiting for Udon's Rose of Versailles release. Of which the first volume was supposed to come out Second Quarter 2016...

I know! I've got it written down in my book: Rose of Versailles- 2nd quarter of 2016. I hope a release will actually happen.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Rumiko Takahashi and CLAMP get brought up all the time so I was happy to see the list focus on early shoujo manga artists. I did come to this list thinking it would be more a variety of different time periods and genres though. This seems almost too cohesive, like it would be better served as an article about the Year-24 group than a list.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I agree the title should be changed to Year 24, but it also bugs me when people equate the shaping or historic parts of manga (and even shojo alone) to just Year 24.

Even then though, if the group weren't focused on them, I think Rumiko Takahashi is undoubtedly infuential, but not the way other women manga-ka before her were. It's so common (and easy, I guess) to neglect and overlook the numerous ways that shojo has influenced manga as a whole, and in particular that applies to the female-created works.

Heck, I would even call queen Naoko (Takeuchi/Togashi) influential given what elements she brought to shojo at the time (and same with CLAMP), but they're very easy/obvious choices, but not the actual choices I would make. (They spring to mind first certainly, but thinking over it more would bring better options.)
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

I did find Clamp's omission peculiar seeing as how influential they were mid 2000's (Chobits anyone) and are relevant to this day to the point of attracting attention when they are tied to a project.

CLAMP is the best known, although they're better known as a group than individuals. Still, I'm surprised there wasn't a mention of them.

And the Sphinx represents a pharaoh, who would be male. The beard has fallen off. It's the Greek sphinxes (like in The Neverending Story) that are female.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3