• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NISA's House of Five Leaves Anime License Expires

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:01 am Reply with quote
And this happens the same time ACCA starts airing.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
I doubt NISA will renew any of there licenses since they seem to be uninterested in anime now.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
I really wish this had been released on Blu-Ray because it's such a beautiful show, although I'm glad I snatched up the DVDs when the premium edition first came out. I'm sad to see this go.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
I hope Funimation takes the opportunity to get this
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Yawn. Can't wait till Nyaruko expires and someone re-licenses it with the ova. I loved NISA's premium sets. Pitty it looks like they died.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
I own the NISA premium set, so the license expiration doesn't affect me. Really must watch the show one of these days. Yes, it's a shame NISA has gone dark on the anime side. Christopher MacDonald's (Tempest) feeling is that the rise in license fees brought on by the old Crunchyroll/Funimation competition (and other factors) has caused NISA to wait things out. Sounds plausible.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, that's been my hypothesis as well. I think that's also why they don't want to outright say they're done. If those prices go back down, maybe they'll find something they feel is worth the investment. But yeah, their low volume, niche style release method, at very reasonable prices too, doesn't seem like it would translate very well to the current market. It's a shame. Crying or Very sad
Elves

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
House of Five Leaves is such an underrated show. I wish more people would have given it a chance instead of running to the hills just because of its artwork. It's really unique and refreshing to see an anime that looks totally different.

With that being said, I snapped up the Premium Edition when it first came out so I'm happy/set. I agree that NISA's apparent step-back from licensing is a disappointment, but they are/were a video game company first so I can see why they're back to focusing on their "bread and butter" rather than anime when licensing costs grew. I am hopeful that they'll return when those prices fall back in line with their budget. For that matter I'm REALLY HOPING they pick-up Natsume's Book of Friends S5 & (recently announced) S6. I'd love to have continuity on my shelves and I love how they handled their releases of the prior seasons. Smile
Yours_Truly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Glad I have the show. I was lucky enough to find the premium edition on Ebay back in '15. Hope someone re-releases it on bluray because it's such a beautiful series to look at! I need to watch it again soon.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
I doubt NISA will renew any of there licenses since they seem to be uninterested in anime now.

I second the notion that Nisa America is uninterested in anime anymore (regrettably so) and not just being pushed out of the market. The reason being is that Discotek which licenses the "scraps" like very old anime and license rescues can pick up a modern title as "Actually I am...." shows that the market is much more open now than it has been in years and the shear amount of shows being released every cour is astonishing.

However, I'm not so blind as to say that there isn't much discouragement going around the anime market as new a prominent companies have entered it. But, just saying that small companies have and are still making it in such a market showing that it's very much possible.
Suena

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I got the premium edition when it first came out. The NISA store had a low free shipping threshold back then, so it was cheapest to get it direct from them. A few months after I got it, they sent me replacement disks because apparently there was an audio issue in the originals. Good times. Laughing
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully whoever picks this up ends up dubbing it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

I honestly kind of doubt this will get picked up. It was such a niche title it getting a release to begin with was weird.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Dude... do you really think this is the kind of show that gets enough sales for a dub? It hardly gets enough sales for a re-license, which will probbaly not happen.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:26 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
I hope Funimation takes the opportunity to get this

But how often does Funimation release a sub-only anime?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2