• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Power Rangers Film's Trailer Shows Morphed Characters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
No idea why this is on an anime news website but awww yea, march is looking to be the best month this year with this and Switch coming out.
Tajima

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Looks really good. Might be one of the few films I bother seeing in theaters this year.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
No idea why this is on an anime news website but awww yea, march is looking to be the best month this year with this and Switch coming out.

Since Power Rangers is adapted from Japanese source material, it stil kinda fits the site.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Much better trailer. It doesn't feel anywhere near as grimdark as the first one would have you believe.

Now it just needs to be a good film.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay that one joke with the sarcastic confession was great.

What I was expecting: "Don't snippy with me young lady" or other similar responses.

What happens: "Pee in this cup!"

I don't know if the movie might be good, but it be with clever jokes like that.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
At least the new trailer feels like it would have more levity and isn't going to be the Chronicle/Fant4stic hybrid as the last trailer gave us.

The pee in the cup moment did make me laugh though.

Well, the well known actors in the supporting roles of Rita and Zordon definitely feel perfect for the roles and I am curious to see if the main five can carry the film enough to lead multiple films out of it.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Looks pretty good! oh the childhood memories lol
Ajc228

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I suppose this could be fun but the art direction and overall design of the mechs looks pretty weak. The face of the combined mechs of the Power Rangers is this amorphous blue mask like the designer got to the face and just said "screw it." Nothing sleek or exciting about the suits themselves either. I know this a movie aimed at monetizing childhood nostagalia but Transformers even looks better than this both technically and design-wise. People should check out the action figures for this movie to get a better sense of what I'm talking about. They cut a serviceable trailer but I'm betting this will be anywhere between mediocre and crap.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The new Power Rangers movie just keeps looking better and better. The only thing that I'm hoping for now is will this movie have rock n roll background music just like the tv series. Cool
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
The new Power Rangers movie just keeps looking better and better. The only thing that I'm hoping for now is will this movie have rock n roll background music just like the tv series. Cool

I don't think so. By the sound of the song playing in the trailer, Kanye West is rapping lol
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for breaking the optimism, but a movie that has 6 writers doesn´t sound like it´s gonna be great. Remember White Chicks? It also has 6 writers on it.

In this flick, only two are good: The ones who wrote X-men First Class. After that, there is Max Landis and I don´t know the others
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Sorry for breaking the optimism, but a movie that has 6 writers doesn´t sound like it´s gonna be great. Remember White Chicks? It also has 6 writers on it.

In this flick, only two are good: The ones who wrote X-men First Class. After that, there is Max Landis and I don´t know the others

Max Landis wrote "Chronicle," so that's another point in this movie's favor.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
I'll also apologize for busting up the optimism.

I thought that trailer looked horrible. All the nostalgia in the world couldn't save this thing for me.

Glad though that plenty are enjoying it and have high hopes. I don't want this movie to do badly...but there is just nothing I saw there that makes me think it will turn out ok. Oh well. For silly Power Rangers fun....there is always the movie with Ivan Ooze in it.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
How novel, stealing the technology from Man of Steel. What, Zordon Krptonian now? Perhaps Brainiac?

And the CGI with the suits and the Zords are still terrible. And on top of it, more Teenage Angst.
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
The only thing that I'm hoping for now is will this movie have rock n roll background music just like the tv series. Cool

The shitty kanye west rap music wasn't enough of a giveaway? I wouldn't bet on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2