• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XV's Sales Recovered Development Costs on Launch Day

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
FF15-2 when?!

I need more NoctoPrompto.
SaKata_KotAro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
shipped 6 million not sold 6 million
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
SaKata_KotAro wrote:

The original article states "Sold 6 million" at least according to Google translate, so unless you're fluent in Japanese and can verify I'm going to trust ANN on this.

Beside I doubt Square would recover 10+ years of development costs if they didn't sell at least 2-3 million copies. lol
SniperRuleZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
BigHeadClan wrote:
SaKata_KotAro wrote:

The original article states "Sold 6 million" at least according to Google translate, so unless you're fluent in Japanese and can verify I'm going to trust ANN on this.

Beside I doubt Square would recover 10+ years of development costs if they didn't sell at least 2-3 million copies. lol

Well ANN did got it right by saying "The number includes physical shipments and download sales."
The official japanese title indeed states it as 6 million sold, but the details below clarified its exact definition. Just Square Enix's style of publicity.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
SaKata_KotAro wrote:

well to be fair when Square "ship" the game that means they have already sold it to stores, so they would have sold that many maybe not to consumers but still sold them
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
SaKata_KotAro wrote:

well to be fair when Square "ship" the game that means they have already sold it to stores, so they would have sold that many maybe not to consumers but still sold them
There are some retail agreements that allow a retailer to sell merchandise back to a publisher if consumers did not buy it in a specified amount of time. Shipped to stores does not always include revenue generation.

I still find it surprising that 10 years of development only required 6 million sales. There are A LOT of labor hours in 10 years.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
FF15-2 when?!

an FF15-2 wouldn't work because spoiler[Noctis is dead]
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Яeverse wrote:
FF15-2 when?!

an FF15-2 wouldn't work because spoiler[Noctis is dead]
Huh? Look at FF10-2. Even if this character isn't here nothing stop them from making a direct sequel.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I still find it surprising that 10 years of development only required 6 million sales. There are A LOT of labor hours in 10 years.

The actual development time was three years. Versus XIII is probably considered a canceled project internally, and if you think about it. And that's probably also how it is, considering that barely nothing shown in Versus XIII trailers except for the characters and the basic concept are present in Final Fantasy XV.

It's also unclear whether development costs also include marketing cost (maybe not), and whether Kingsglaive and Brotherhood are included (probably not)
SaKata_KotAro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
SaKata_KotAro wrote:

for example if publisher shipped 5 millon in it's first day but the game sold only 500k in its first week,then probably you will see discount for the game because the shipped is a lot than the sales (piling )so it's not mean if the game shipped 6 million then the game means also sold 6 million
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Gasero wrote:

The actual development time was three years. Versus XIII is probably considered a canceled project internally, and if you think about it. And that's probably also how it is, considering that barely nothing shown in Versus XIII trailers except for the characters and the basic concept are present in Final Fantasy XV.
The development was also on and off, scrapped ideas and things done frequently migrated to other projects,
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that marketing costs matched or exceeded development costs, even if we leave out Kingsglaive and the anime series. The movie must have cost a lot to produce; the credits for Kingsglaive run for quite a few minutes as the list of global collaborators scrolls by. Still it only grossed about $250,000 in US theaters, so I'd look upon it as a loss-leader for the video game.

Marketing costs for a typical Hollywood movie run about $150 million, much of it spent on television advertising. Even alternative channels like YouTube have gotten pretty pricey; "one producer notes that the standard rate for prime placement across the top of YouTube’s home page is $725,000 per day."
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
SaKata_KotAro wrote:
SageModeKakarot wrote:
SaKata_KotAro wrote:

for example if publisher shipped 5 millon in it's first day but the game sold only 500k in its first week,then probably you will see discount for the game because the shipped is a lot than the sales (piling )so it's not mean if the game shipped 6 million then the game means also sold 6 million

They game shipped 5 million in day 1 but shipped another million a month ago. They obviously wouldn't have shipped another million if their initial shipment hadn't already sold. No matter how hard you try to spin this news, it's clear the game was a success.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Huh? Look at FF10-2. Even if this character isn't here nothing stop them from making a direct sequel.

If you want to be technical FFX had two main characters in Tidus and Yuna. So it wasn't as awkward as say FFXIII-2 in that regard.
SaKata_KotAro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
SaKata_KotAro wrote:
SageModeKakarot wrote:
SaKata_KotAro wrote:

They game shipped 5 million in day 1 but shipped another million a month ago. They obviously wouldn't have shipped another million if their initial shipment hadn't already sold. No matter how hard you try to spin this news, it's clear the game was a success.

what's the problem if the game was a success?? I'm not a hater /:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2