• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Screen Attack on Titan Compilation Films in U.S. Theaters in March

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a waste of money on Funimations part, who in the hell would pay to go see recap films. Okay the 2nd one I could get because it has the added scenes but it still pointless since they are most likely going to show it at the beginning of season 2 .
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I heard that the Japanese audio was redone for the compilation films. Is the same true for the English dub?
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
@Nekelen Tinsley
I think it's a valid strategy. People might want to refresh themselves on the first season before season 2 starts, or maybe they've somehow never seen the first season and their friends want to drag them out to catch up. It makes sense business wise. Them being dubbed only is definitely suggesting to me that they plan to have the second season simuldubbed same day, or very close to it as well. Maybe hoping to grab that casual audience right from the get-go. Also very reasonable. For my part, I'd prefer there being a subbed screening as well though, as I won't watch the dub, but it's their decision.
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
@Nekelen Tinsley
I think it's a valid strategy. People might want to refresh themselves on the first season before season 2 starts, or maybe they've somehow never seen the first season and their friends want to drag them out to catch up. It makes sense business wise. Them being dubbed only is definitely suggesting to me that they plan to have the second season simuldubbed same day, or very close to it as well. Maybe hoping to grab that casual audience right from the get-go. Also very reasonable. For my part, I'd prefer there being a subbed screening as well though, as I won't watch the dub, but it's their decision.

I agree. Its so much easier to get someone to commit to watching a 2 hour movie then it is a 26 episode anime series. They probably hope if someone watches the recap movies that they might then turn around and either buy the series or stream it.

Does anyone think that Funimation will get other recap movies or do you think this is a one time thing? Doesn't Code Geass have a couple of movies as well? Does any of Funimation's other titles have any?
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:

Does anyone think that Funimation will get other recap movies or do you think this is a one time thing? Doesn't Code Geass have a couple of movies as well? Does any of Funimation's other titles have any?

I wish they would get more. Just so I can have a more complete collection, but I don't really expect that to happen. Only in cases where a franchise is as big as AoT does it make business sense, so most things won't be worth it. Code Geass might be though...
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
People give Funimation a lot of shit, but try to remember that they genuinely care for their fans, unlike AoA who refuses to give us the Gurren Lagann movies.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I personally would prefer to own AoT as movies instead of the series. I really don't want to sit through the show's pacing again.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope this happens in Canada, too. As mentioned earlier, it would be a good refresher before the next season starts.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
People give Funimation a lot of shit, but try to remember that they genuinely care for their fans, unlike AoA who refuses to give us the Gurren Lagann movies.

AoA did give us the Gurren Lagann movies...

It's hard for me to buy the idea that Funimation is somehow super caring for their fans after attempting to cover up the Code Geass audio issue, shipping out hundreds of damaged Tokyo Ghoul CEs, running Escaflowne through one of the worst and least transparent kickstarters I've ever been a part of(I dropped my pledge a couple of weeks in), then releasing it with damaged trinkets, dents in boxes and all kinds of other issues, and just generally having the absolute WORST quality control team and order fulfillment team in this entire industry. I have never gotten more damaged shipments from any other company. In fact, of the 3 orders I have placed with their shop every single one has shown up damaged the first time. So no, I don't think they "genuinely care for their fans" any more than AoA.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

It's hard for me to buy the idea that Funimation is somehow super caring for their fans after attempting to cover up the Code Geass audio issue, shipping out hundreds of damaged Tokyo Ghoul CEs, running Escaflowne through one of the worst and least transparent kickstarters I've ever been a part of(I dropped my pledge a couple of weeks in), then releasing it with damaged trinkets, dents in boxes and all kinds of other issues, and just generally having the absolute WORST quality control team and order fulfillment team in this entire industry. I have never gotten more damaged shipments from any other company. In fact, of the 3 orders I have placed with their shop every single one has shown up damaged the first time. So no, I don't think they "genuinely care for their fans" any more than AoA.

The fact that they've had so many huge blunders with their physical releases makes me very unhappy, I took me months to get my Code Geass R2 blu-rays replaced because they sent me two DVDs and two blu-rays instead of four blu-ray discs. When I got Shiki from them the case was damaged, they were nice enough to replace the case, but they've had so screw-ups with physical releases now I have to check online before buying any Funimation products, I've never had to do that before 2016, UGH!
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

The fact that they've had so many huge blunders with their physical releases makes me very unhappy, I took me months to get my Code Geass R2 blu-rays replaced because they sent me two DVDs and two blu-rays instead of four blu-ray discs. When I got Shiki from them the case was damaged, they were nice enough to replace the case, but they've had so screw-ups with physical releases now I have to check online before buying any Funimation products, I've never had to do that before 2016, UGH!

Yeah, they are one of the only companies that I don't really pre-order from anymore and I do plenty of research on each release before buying. I was "fortunate" that I actually did get the correct Code Geass discs with the first replacement shipment, but I've seen a lot of people going through so much worse like yourself. And it's pretty sad when being fortunate includes only being screwed over once. None of us should have been screwed over like that in the first place... It really is pretty frustrating. All through 2015 I was hoping they would get themselves together in 2016, then 2016 came and went and they still had a consistent stream of screw ups, now 2 months through 2017 and we've already had a couple of things this year. It seems like they'll never learn at this rate.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:

For Code Geass, there's the Black Rebellion & Zero Requiem compilation films from 2009 that they have yet to get and thanks to this upcoming third series that was announced, there's going to be 3 new recap films as well. Confused
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

Yeah, they are one of the only companies that I don't really pre-order from anymore and I do plenty of research on each release before buying. I was "fortunate" that I actually did get the correct Code Geass discs with the first replacement shipment, but I've seen a lot of people going through so much worse like yourself. And it's pretty sad when being fortunate includes only being screwed over once. None of us should have been screwed over like that in the first place... It really is pretty frustrating. All through 2015 I was hoping they would get themselves together in 2016, then 2016 came and went and they still had a consistent stream of screw ups, now 2 months through 2017 and we've already had a couple of things this year. It seems like they'll never learn at this rate.

Hearing this is making me worry for Crunchyroll's home videos when they get released
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Wow. I bought the Code Geass CE day one, but never re-watched it, and never saw the address concerning the audio issues. I hope it's not too late to email them regarding replacements.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, they did a swell job of trying to keep it under wraps, and you have to contact them directly, rather than them sending them out automatically, as should be expected.
Anyway, I don't think it's too late, since they are still processing a lot of the ones that they screwed up on the second replacement shipment...
Anyway, send an email to [email protected] and they'll tell you what you need to do from there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2