• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film's 3 Teasers, Japan-Exclusive Poster Unveiled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
I see on the Japanese poster, her name is spelled "Yohanson" in katakana. I'm guessing that's technically correct.
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
Really hope this is good. Only thing that gives me pause is Rupert Sanders.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
I'm still trying to go into this with an open mind.. But I am seeing some cracks already in the plot with just the trailers.. and the addition of a character which does not exist in any other of the source material..

I still think this is better then any other Western attempt on Live Action.. I think the closest to this was G-Saviour... yea don't get me started on that one.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I'm still trying to go into this with an open mind.. But I am seeing some cracks already in the plot with just the trailers.. and the addition of a character which does not exist in any other of the source material..

I still think this is better then any other Western attempt on Live Action.. I think the closest to this was G-Saviour... yea don't get me started on that one.

The new character is probably someone expendable, likely also for an additional female team member. But I don't like the drastic changes they've made to the Major's history and the concept of full body cyborgs not being already an established thing in this world.

Motoko isn't awesome just because she was gifted a military body. She had to struggle and become good at controlling a body since she was very young. She became the best through effort.

Also I personally thought Speed Racer was great adaptation and better than the source material. Sure the humor isn't for everyone, but you can't say the Wachowskis didn't do a great live action adaptation of an anime.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
I am cautiously optimistic. I've been in the minority it seems as I've liked the trailers and snippets we've gotten so far.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
[quote="jdnation"]
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

The new character is probably someone expendable, likely also for an additional female team member. But I don't like the drastic changes they've made to the Major's history and the concept of full body cyborgs not being already an established thing in this world.

Motoko isn't awesome just because she was gifted a military body. She had to struggle and become good at controlling a body since she was very young. She became the best through effort.

well, all you need is tom cruise was decent, especialyl if you consider it a gaiden same universe different characters, becuase that was thebiggest problem it had. But yeah, what bothers you about this is what bothers em the most, and we can argue that motoko is not special and is not the best, there are better hackers than motoko and there are better fighters than her too; what keeps her up is that she is both a good hacker and a good fighter ; so she can easily outhack bato (whois a better fighter than her) while she can outfight the laughing man.
Sticks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
All I've noticed right now is how the story has been altered to more identify with western audiences. It's true that the typical Japanese storytelling may not be as well understood around the rest of the world compared to how anime fans would have enjoyed it, but I can't help but feel that the story was dumbed down just so the rest of the world will better understand it.

And as I remember from the anime, the Major's cybernetic body was not so much more advanced, but more unique compared to the rest of the cybernetic technology that was readily available in the world at the time. And the rest of Sector 9's teammates were just as unique. Even military cyborgs had differences, but were much tougher.

As for the Major herself (besides being played by SJ (I think they could've made a better choice))... we've already seen these type of movies where the protagonist is getting too close to the truth and they try to kill them (Captain America: The Winter Soldier is one movie that comes to mind). So now that I'm seeing that this is how half the movie will turn out to be, I'm somewhat disappointed.
And that she's the end result of other failed cybernetic experiments too?? Where have I heard that type of storyline before???

And if that was the laughing man.... well???

So I'm seeing flaws. The producers can visually get our attention all they want, but if the story is "not so great", then it's bound to be as forgotten as "that one movie that came out last year that I can't remember if anyone saw it".

Personally, I really wish they would've stuck to a more traditional Japanese storytelling. It definitely would've been different then what most western movies turn out to be, and it would've had an edge. But of course, movie producers and studios these days are afraid to take real chances.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I see a lot of fighting and shooting, but where's the "super class-A hacking?" I guess that doesn't make for a very exciting trailer...
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I see on the Japanese poster, her name is spelled "Yohanson" in katakana. I'm guessing that's technically correct.

Johansson is a Swedish family name and in Germanic (or at the very least Scandinavian) languages 'j' is pronounced the same as 'y' in "yes".
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Sticks wrote:
All I've noticed right now is how the story has been altered to more identify with western audiences. It's true that the typical Japanese storytelling may not be as well understood around the rest of the world compared to how anime fans would have enjoyed it, but I can't help but feel that the story was dumbed down just so the rest of the world will better understand it.

And as I remember from the anime, the Major's cybernetic body was not so much more advanced, but more unique compared to the rest of the cybernetic technology that was readily available in the world at the time. And the rest of Sector 9's teammates were just as unique. Even military cyborgs had differences, but were much tougher.

As for the Major herself (besides being played by SJ (I think they could've made a better choice))... we've already seen these type of movies where the protagonist is getting too close to the truth and they try to kill them (Captain America: The Winter Soldier is one movie that comes to mind). So now that I'm seeing that this is how half the movie will turn out to be, I'm somewhat disappointed.
And that she's the end result of other failed cybernetic experiments too?? Where have I heard that type of storyline before???

And if that was the laughing man.... well???

So I'm seeing flaws. The producers can visually get our attention all they want, but if the story is "not so great", then it's bound to be as forgotten as "that one movie that came out last year that I can't remember if anyone saw it".

Personally, I really wish they would've stuck to a more traditional Japanese storytelling. It definitely would've been different then what most western movies turn out to be, and it would've had an edge. But of course, movie producers and studios these days are afraid to take real chances.

They're adapting a somewhat niche japanese property into a live action movie and with a considerable budget behind it so they're already taking a risk by default. Giving the story a more "japanese" feel may (or may not) have given it an edge doesn't mean it would increase the movie's chances of turning a profit.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
Sticks wrote:

Technically, both she and Batou make their own customizations to their bodies and cyber security. So they are both talented.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
They're adapting a somewhat niche japanese property into a live action movie and with a considerable budget behind it so they're already taking a risk by default. Giving the story a more "japanese" feel may (or may not) have given it an edge doesn't mean it would increase the movie's chances of turning a profit.

Well playing it too safe won't help things either. American audiences have proven they can actually like and reward a film that breaks the mould. The initial thing is the hook, which in this case already has scar jo and action and fx to sell the concept.

Instead of what looks like they're taking inspiration from Robocop, one wishes they'd looked to Blade Runner and The Matrix. Understandably they'd want to avoid Oshii's style, because it is too avant garde, they had a good template with StandAlone Complex.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Well playing it too safe won't help things either. American audiences have proven they can actually like and reward a film that breaks the mould.

Sparingly we're still incredibly picky and complacent when it comes to movies.

jdnation wrote:
one wishes they'd looked to Blade Runner and The Matrix.

Blade Runner has kind of fallen into obscurity so that's probably why they glossed over it, whereas the Matrix is already over exposed when it comes to certain....aspects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1