• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guillermo del Toro Explains Why He is Not Director of Pacific Rim: Uprising

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Cool cool, but when is he going to start working on that live action "Monster" tv series, cause from what was discussed early on, it sounds like it will be awesome Very Happy
Encore22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
Cool cool, but when is he going to start working on that live action "Monster" tv series, cause from what was discussed early on, it sounds like it will be awesome Very Happy

Think they gave up on it a year or two ago. FeelsBadMan
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
But he is barely involved with JLD too... Del Toro is THE king of failed project and almost got the job situations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the communist party propaganda is kept to a minimum.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:

I agree. We have enough communism in social media as it is.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
But he is barely involved with JLD too... Del Toro is THE king of failed project and almost got the job situations.

Warner wants JLD and Pacific Rim 2 (and Pacific Rim 3: Kongfrontation, or whatever their "crossover franchise" dreams are planning), but they don't want Guillermo.

One of the two was perfectly expendable, in Warner's dreams of (movie-)universe domination, and I'm pretty sure it was the naive geek-nichey artistic procrastinator who'd rather make his "own" movies not theirs, who was the first obstacle on their list to be dropped.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Encore22 wrote:
SailorPluto1313 wrote:

Think they gave up on it a year or two ago. FeelsBadMan

Yes and no.

HBO! Who he originally pitched it to, ended up passing on it. Which he has mentioned. For now he is looking for other studios that might take it on ( hopefully he tries Netflix ) but that was so long ago that you may as well call the project dead in the water now.
Woomy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Del Toro has the best "almost made it" filmography ever. Still clinging on to hope that he gets to make his "At The Mountains of Madness" adaptation.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:

Indeed! Unfortunately China has Hollywood by the buck-sack now and that "has a strong connection to China" and Chinese actors, it's almost a sure thing there will be propaganda in some shape or form.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Heh, I was going to say that as far as the big-name Hollywood directors, Guillermo del Toro seems to be the most unlucky of them. And the bad luck seeps to non-Hollywood stuff he did too, like PT.
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

Heh, I was going to say that as far as the big-name Hollywood directors, Guillermo del Toro seems to be the most unlucky of them. And the bad luck seeps to non-Hollywood stuff he did too, like PT.

I will probably never get over the pain that was the cancellation of Silent Hills. It really seemed like it could have been the game to really reinvigorate the franchise. It saddens me how far Silent Hill went off the rails. I will always have a spot in my heart for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1