• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TOKU Opens Streaming Channel on Amazon Prime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Uh, good luck with that. Laughing Only thing on there worth anything is Ichi the Killer, that anime lineup is entirely forgettable.

Oh, and good job, Amazon, getting more anime on there that isn't part of the Anime Strike add-on service. Way to confuse your subscribers (not that they're missing anything). That's three subscriptions you now need to watch all of the anime on Prime. Rolling Eyes

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Why are Amazon channels even a thing? Netflix/Hulu don't make you subscribe to Fox, ABC, Nickelodeon, etc. individually to get their programming.

Is Amazon's thinking on this literally "We're Amazon and can do whatever we please lmao someone will pay for it"?

And going through Amazon, I see Viewster has gotten into the game.

Basically, if you want all the major anime offerings on Prime:

$120.89/year for Prime (some people do get Prime for less, but this is based off Amazon's current listed basic rate, including the free month for the first year)
$60/year for Anime Strike
$48/year for Toku
$48/year for Viewster

= $23.78 per month, more then any other service offering anime.

There are a handful of anime spread across other services (CONtv has a small anime section, Ghibli movies/GitS: SaC and other GitS spinoffs are on Starz, etc.) if you really wanna go broke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I own yosuga no sora. All others I have no interest in
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

$120.89/year for Prime (some people do get Prime for less, but this is based off Amazon's current listed basic rate, including the free month for the first year)
$48/year for Toku
$48/year for Viewster

That's only if, and only if, you subscribe to Prime for no other reason than to access the anime channels. I subscribe to Prime because it saves me in shipping more than I pay for Prime. I suspect that's true of the majority of the viewers out there. (Not to mention that, at least so far, neither Toku nor Viewster is needed to watch current season anime.)

Seriously folks, deliberately and intentionally inflating the costs to make it look worse than it is... it's very annoying and dishonest to boot.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Yo dawg, I heard you like streaming service. So we make you buy streaming service so you can buy streaming service.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
CatSword wrote:

$48/year for Toku
$48/year for Viewster

That's only if, and only if, you subscribe to Prime for no other reason than to access the anime channels. I subscribe to Prime because it saves me in shipping more than I pay for Prime. I suspect that's true of the majority of the viewers out there. (Not to mention that, at least so far, neither Toku nor Viewster is needed to watch current season anime.)

Seriously folks, deliberately and intentionally inflating the costs to make it look worse than it is... it's very annoying and dishonest to boot.

The cost isn't inflated. That is what the actual cost is, rather you're using Prime for something else or not.

While Toku and Viewster might not be required for seasonal anime, both Toku and Viewster are the exclusive legal streaming hosts of some anime.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Uh, Amazon? Do you honestly think the average anime viewer is going to pay that much money to you?

Good to see the market getting even more fragmented. Nothing on there of note but I'm just... perplexed... even considering how hard Amazon pushed Anime Strike...
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Do they have the Ultraman shows on there? Any of the random short series they picked up last fall (Afterschool Midnighters, Darkness Boy Santa, Kowabon, etc.)?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Anybody interested in starting a pool to predict how many channels Amazon will ultimately spread anime content across (with separate fees for each, natch)?

I'll go with 10.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
That's only if, and only if, you subscribe to Prime for no other reason than to access the anime channels.

You fail to realize that sooner rather than tater Amazon will separate its shop from its streaming services just like Netflix Separated it's DVD and Streaming Services
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Why are Amazon channels even a thing? Netflix/Hulu don't make you subscribe to Fox, ABC, Nickelodeon, etc. individually to get their programming.

Is Amazon's thinking on this literally "We're Amazon and can do whatever we please lmao someone will pay for it"?

And going through Amazon, I see Viewster has gotten into the game.

$48/year for Toku
$48/year for Viewster

There are a handful of anime spread across other services (CONtv has a small anime section, Ghibli movies/GitS: SaC and other GitS spinoffs are on Starz, etc.) if you really wanna go broke.

Uh, you can watch Viewster's stuff for free on their website so the only way you would need to pay Amazon for their stuff is if you don't want ads and want to watch it through Amazon's player/app, so you can knock that off the cost.

As to the other channels, I think some people are missing something. The anime on those channels is not Amazon's, any more than it would belong to your TV provider if you wanted to watch it through them (Toku and some of the others mentioned at least are linear TV channels/VOD services). Maybe you could argue that with regard to Strike, but the others are not Amazon splitting their anime content, but rather allowing various TV channels/VOD services to stream their content - which includes anime -
on their site/app. I don't think those channels want to be paid for their content in one lump sum, and Amazon doesn't have ads, so they have to pay them with a monthly fee. If Amazon offered their channels' content included in Prime, they would have to buy every Prime member a subscription to every single channel they offer, in case you wanted them, which seems both unreasonable and unnecessary.

For Hulu, the reason they don't make you subscribe individually to the different networks is because it is owned by those networks in many cases. They can also offer a cut of the ad revenue as a continuing payment to those content providers they are not owned by.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

But you do have to pay extra if you want to add programming from Showtime to Hulu:
https://www.hulu.com/getshowtime

Toku isn't owned by Amazon, so how is this different?

The only difference I see is if Toku doesn't offer this as a standalone streaming service (unlike most of the other channels Amazon offers such as HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax), but that would be Toku's choice.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this isn't Amazon splitting up anime intentionally. Amazon channels is a cord cutter service targeted at those who either don't have cable, or want to subscribe to a specific channel without buying the entire bundle that their cable company would require. It's more like SlingTV than Hulu or Netflix.

While you currently need Prime to acces Channels, it doesn't automatically give you access to everything on it, anymore than your cable subscription would. How many of you here pay a $100 to your cable company a YEAR and expect full access to everything that they offer, including HBO, Showtime, and Starz?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
^I pay the cable company nearly that much for internet and the most basic TV package a month. I can't really think of Amazon or even the full gamut of anime streaming services as expensive when compared to that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Yeah, this isn't Amazon splitting up anime intentionally. Amazon channels is a cord cutter service targeted at those who either don't have cable, or want to subscribe to a specific channel without buying the entire bundle that their cable company would require. It's more like SlingTV than Hulu or Netflix.

While you currently need Prime to acces Channels, it doesn't automatically give you access to everything on it, anymore than your cable subscription would. How many of you here pay a $100 to your cable company a YEAR and expect full access to everything that they offer, including HBO, Showtime, and Starz?

But isn't the whole point of cord-cutting to avoid the old, expensive cable business model? Are we supposed to rejoice that Amazon is replicating what cord cutters are trying to get away from?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2