• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Fans Rank Mamoru Miyano's Greatest Roles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
No video game roles? Riku would have probably been on that list if they had included video games as well.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
"4. Riku (Tokimeki Memorial ~Only Love~, 5.3%)"

4. Riku (Kingdom Hearts, 5.3%)

Fixed.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The first 4 roles I don't care about at all but his next 4 are my favorites: Taichi, Tamaki, Rintaro and Rin are some of his best for me.

I also don't understand why Ling is in last place that was also a great role.

Granted I understand why Light is rated so highly. His performance was great but I just don't care for the character.
SchwingBoner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised with Light (Death Note) at #1. His best role imo.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I think this is mostly an anime and character popularity vote... I like UtaPri, but Tokiya is not exactly a challenging or exciting role or performance, I'm pretty sure that he got the votes for the songs. Same with Setsuna, nothing against Gundam00, but Setsuna is not exactly an award-bait role.

I think Tamaki was his best role so far, maybe because it was a great match between character and actor. He was able to combine his inclinations to be a ham with his naturally youthful and pure voice and great comedic timing. It was a fantastic performance, it hit all the right notes both in comedy and in the more serious scenes.

I'm happy to see Nobunaga Concerto's Saburou on the list (another fantastic performance in an awesome little anime), but I'm disappointed at the lack of Berg Katze from Gatchaman Crowds and Insight. (This tells more about the anime's popularity than the quality of the performance...) Katze is a great character, and he's perhaps the only character where the voice director throwing in the reins and letting Miyano turn the ham up to eleven actually works.

Last edited by SHD on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
The first time I heard Miyano's voice was when he played Kiba in Wolf's Rain, and that's still my favorite role of his. That show bombed in Japan, though, so I'm not surprised that character didn't make the list. I tend to prefer his more subdued roles, but on the opposite side of the spectrum, his Katze is a lot of fun.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Where's Berg Katze. I love his delivery on Katze, I prefer it much more to his more composed characters.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
The first time I heard Miyano's voice was when he played Kiba in Wolf's Rain, and that's still my favorite role of his.

I also loved his Kiba, it was another great performance, where he could utilize (consciously or not) the "pureness" of his voice, still mostly free of mannerisms at the time, to a great extent. But yes, unfortunately I don't think most people in Japan remember Wolf's Rain.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, that went according to keikaku.

(T/N: Pretty much everyone already knows what keikaku means.)

On Miyano's other roles, I'm impressed seeing Cilan/Dento on the list. He fits the bill as a bishonen character like Tamaki and Rin and he has his own ham moments as well.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Oi oi, where's Saruhiko Fushimi from K project? Wasn't that a thing in Japan at one point? In fact it's getting a season 2 in this Fall season...
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
Oi oi, where's Saruhiko Fushimi from K project? Wasn't that a thing in Japan at one point? In fact it's getting a season 2 in this Fall season...

I didn't like Miyano's performance in K, it was too overdone.

I agree that Light Yagami is his greatest role to date. The way he sounds hysterical at the end of the show, just wow. Shocked
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
OK, so I haven't heard a lot of his roles since I watch most of my subbed anime muted, but I did enjoy his role in Dog Days. Three seasons of fantasy comedy in the realm of Slayers and sufficient fan service.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
No video game roles? Riku would have probably been on that list if they had included video games as well.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this! I think his Riku is great, but I agree with the number 1 choice.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
Okarin, definitely. "It's so cool!" That performance was a brilliant mixture of camp and sensitivity.

I agree with SHD, though, it would be nice to hear him do something like Kiba again, no hysterical outbursts, more rawness.
Spore_777_Mexen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:15 am Reply with quote
Houhouin Kyoma should be #1 imo! Dooooooooctor!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2