• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Stan Lee, DEEN's The Reflection Anime Previewed in New Promo Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
Well I knew that Stan Lee's anime would look unique, but DAMN I never epexted Deen to make something like that. This either gonna work really well or it will fail miserably.

Also Mr. Mystique is the obligatory Stan Lee cameo xP
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
Wow. I have no idea if this will just look too crowded and monotone, hue-wise, or if it will end up looking cooler and more vibrant in practice on a bigger screen, but... at the very least, this is quite the unique style. The 3DCGI in this style, though, makes it look like something out of Golden Eggs... which worked for Golden Eggs, but looks weird in this trailer.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote
I like the art direction the chose, it looks very western and comic book-like, but it seems that decision hinders the action, it seemed very slow to me in the PV.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
I'm really digging the unique animation style of this show and it gives me hope that the summer lineup won't be a total waste. Smile
DrApplebox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
I know that they're trying to ape the style of American comic books, but that is a truly awful aesthetic. Reminds of mid-2000s cell-shaded graphics for PS2 games.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
That actually looked pretty good. The silver age art seems to make up for Deen's limitations. We'll see if it actually works..
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
In a sea of samey, teen-centric, relationship-mired, shallow-designed fan-pandering shows coming out, finally there's at least a show that can spiritually be consumed by an adult. It's just too bad the production values look fairly bland and the hues seem duller than a rock, but at least conceptually it looks great, and the characters all seem sincere and earthy. Hopefully it turns out to be halfway decent, I guess we'll see.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
The art style is unique. Only Deen could pull off something like that.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
Well, damn. I wasn't moved by the trailer. Still going to give it a try.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote
I like the Character Designs, but the actual animation, not so much.

Like I mentioned in my comments for the actual PV, the animation feels like something one step up from most of the [AS] fare. And not in a good way.
I'm still willing to give The Reflection a try, but the actual animation quality needs to really improve.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Being at the AX PV by CR, the animation was choppy in a lot of places, the artwork was "off model" frequently, no hint at a story that I could tell nor were the characters identified. The PV here looked far, far better than what I saw at AX and I hope the aired footage is like it so the hopeful commentators above are satisfied. I keep rooting for a good Marvel-Japan collab, but in a word it was Jankey so I'm not looking to see more...
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
I think this looks really cool, actually. I'm always down for new and interesting animation styles, and while this looks very different from the norm, I think that's part of the appeal to me.
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving that art and animation, it looks just like a moving comic book. I'm very much looking forward to this!
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Please for the love of god funimation please give us a simuldub and please let it have stan lee voice acting in it.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
I love the aesthetic this show is going for. The animation quality does need improvement but it's a DEEN production so I don't care. Hopefully, the script of the show will manage to establish the moral or message it's going for in an effective way. The script is easily the most important thing to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1