• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yuragi-sō no Yūna-san Stirs Controversy Over 'Sexual Depictions' in Shonen Jump

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
OK, I am not really for censorship, but I think series like these should be reserved for seinen series considering there are young kids that read WSJ. That is, I don't think they really belong in WSJ.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Heh. Japan forgot what makes a shounen manga. Anime catgrin
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lawyer Keiko Ōta encouraged parents to not let their sons read Shonen Jump. She said that "depicting sexual harassment as pleasure is a problem." Gender studies professor at Osaku University Kazue Muta said that people are learning from a young age that seeing females as sexual objects, ignoring a partner's protests, and then engaging in naked sexual acts is normal.

So it begins.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
OK, I am not really for censorship, but I think series like these should be reserved for seinen series considering there are young kids that read WSJ. That is, I don't think they really belong in WSJ.

I agree. Move it to a magazine aimed toward older readers.

Quote:
Lawyer Keiko Ōta encouraged parents to not let their sons read Shonen Jump. She said that "depicting sexual harassment as pleasure is a problem." Gender studies professor at Osaku University Kazue Muta said that people are learning from a young age that seeing females as sexual objects, ignoring a partner's protests, and then engaging in naked sexual acts is normal.

If you don't know the difference between fiction and reality, you've got bigger problems. And the fact that this person teaches gender studies makes me not take them seriously at all. What a useless course.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Who cares if there's sexual depictions in Shonen Jump because news flash IT'S NOT REAL!!! just like all Shonen Jump titles it's all just a fantasy that I wish was real but sadly it isn't so get over it already. Rolling Eyes
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
how am i supposed to pound my hog to non-predatory depictions of sexuality you prudes
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
My previous post applies to many shounen series that run in other shounen mags, such as "Fairy Tail". "To-Love Ru Darkness" ran in Jump Square. I still think it should have run in a seinen mag since it is just shy of being hard-core XXX.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Anime adaptation when? This series just got a new fan.

I have so much to say, but I have to keep to myself due to reasons. The net commenters, Egawa, Igarashi, Sato, and Miura said it all. Nuff said.

How the times have changed. I'd love to see their responses back when a series from Shonen Jump like Dragon Ball (manga and anime) first began and showed actual nipples and booty (the point is what caused it to be shown) in the chapters/episodes. Laughing
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Sheesh...that's borderline hentai. I'd like to say it's risque for Shonen Jump, but come on! Are you guys forgetting that this is the magazine that gave us Hokuto No Ken and the original Dragon Ball?

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Have you ever seen the Japanese WSJ? Maybe you're confusing it with Viz's version. This type of stuff is a regular part of WSJ. Even the typical action oriented shounen series like One Piece has some fanservice heavy scenes as Oda frankly states in one interview, he likes boobs. Even Viz has YET to release a completely uncensored DBZ since the very first print run for stuff liike this after the complaints it generated:
https://twitter.com/InazumaBuster/status/685162445845827584
Later printings and omnibus/English tankobon editions still have random censoring

And remember Dragonball is targeted at kids too.
And don't forget about all the other related shounen demographic magazines (sometimes for different or non-weekly printing schedules) by Shueisha like Jump Square, which has To Love Ru Darkness.

Most of the Seinen magazines are where the unexpected stuff is at: like the vast majority of 4-koma slice-of-life series like Lucky Stars. Titillation is not enough reason to be put in Seinen. It has to be either boring-to-kids or of a serious nature. Fun, titillating fanservice without serious subject like rape, is exactly why a publisher would put in a shounen magazine rather than a seinen, since it hits right at home for young biological adults

Last edited by configspace on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
lol at the forced sex things, I don't think the accidental groping that happens in those kind of series can be comapred to forced sex at all, and if it does, their society has bigger problems; no wonder the japanese are a bunch of betas if they even are forced to feel shame over accidents.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Quote:

So it begins.

And it's high time it began, too. I'm certainly not saying there's a link between depictions in anime and "normalizing behavior" (anime is as far from normal as it gets, especially late night anime) but Shonen Jump is ostensibly for kids, and if you don't want your kids to read something, you as a parent are the one who should take control. Don't expect anyone else to do it for you.

TrailOfDead wrote:
how am i supposed to pound my hog to non-predatory depictions of sexuality you prudes

That sounds like a "TrailOfDead problem", TrailOfDead!
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The last thing Japan needs is American culture's allergy to sexuality. I'd wager 70-85% of the people on this website are here because when they were 12-18 years old, Japanese entertainment was the only medium that would frankly engage them about their growing sexuality in a non-patronizing way. It's utterly hypocritical to look back and prescribe something different for today's manga readers.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree that these kind of series shoudn't be on Shonen Jump, since, well, it's marketered at children. It's in childhood that you build your subcouncious likes and dislikes, and having something like this engraved on this phase of your development can influence the attitude these children will have towards women. However, i'm not saying that youngsters shoudn't explore their sexuality; everything has a time, and children should just do children things until like they're at least pre-teens, where the brain is more well developed and they can discern more easily what is right and wrong in a society. I'm totally up for the idea of exploring sexual desires and fantasies and what not even at a young age, but as i said, everything has a time.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
lol at the forced sex things, I don't think the accidental groping that happens in those kind of series can be comapred to forced sex at all, and if it does, their society has bigger problems; no wonder the japanese are a bunch of betas if they even are forced to feel shame over accidents.

Yeh that's the one that confuses me the most, there's no "Forced sex" except from one of the girls who (The one with the eyepatch on the volume cover) and she constantly forces herself on the MC.

More often then not the Male MC isn't even the cause or part of the fanservice, someone causes it and he's caught in a situation, a classic gag.

The stuff in Yunna isn't much more adult than what you see in some of the Food Wars foodgasms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7