• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hatsune Miku: Project Future Tone DX PS4 Game's Promo Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I would snatch this up in an instant if its gameplay matched the Project Diva titles released in the west. Playing the digital version, however, has made me realize how different the needs of arcade systems and console controller systems are.

There's no substitute for having the entire, huge, definitive library of songs available to play, but switching from Project Diva F/F2nd/X to Future Tone just feels incredibly odd and disconcerting.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Aphasial wrote:
I would snatch this up in an instant if its gameplay matched the Project Diva titles released in the west. Playing the digital version, however, has made me realize how different the needs of arcade systems and console controller systems are.

There's no substitute for having the entire, huge, definitive library of songs available to play, but switching from Project Diva F/F2nd/X to Future Tone just feels incredibly odd and disconcerting.

It's sort of "One or the other", forcing discerning Diva F/2 fans to buy both, and get neither:
Future Tone is the arcade game, and while we get the classic music videos (in inferior "plastic" CGI predating the more realistic disk animation we got the Diva games), it's just the song-by-song arcade mode, without the backstage interaction, and no larger goal to shoot for besides raising enough coin to buy the costumes.
And, unlike F2, no prize bonus for using the correct costume on the songs.

Diva X, OTOH, still has the backstage gift-giving and cute interaction with the characters, but no music videos--It's ALL in live-concert mode, with some old songs reduced to "hit medley", and you choose your costumes not by song, but nonsensically based on what point-bonuses they offer.
And instead of earning the modules the Hard way, we also now win them at random like rare baseball cards, and if you're running low on Kaito or Meiko costumes (with few songs), there's no reason you can't just drop any old character into one of Miku's songs and have them lip-synch just to win something. Watching Kaito do Miku's hand movements in "Love Song" is cute the first time, but gets old.
Oh, and with only thirty songs, you can plow through the "story" of the game in about three or four hours, and then it's grind, grind, grind over old material.

...It's nice and all, but either way, we'd like some REASON to get through the games?? Maybe F2 just spoiled us for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1