• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Ancient Magus' Bride Anime's English-Subtitled Trailer Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
So excited for this that I can't even describe it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
So what is the difference between the OVAs and the TV show? Are the OVAs a prequel or an alternative retelling.
mc55

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
From what I've read, the OVA's are indeed a prequel. They give us an idea of just how crappy the life of Chise was (as vaguely referred to in the manga) and give us insight into why she chose selling herself into slavery as the avenue to take. This is all due to a review I read that I know this. I don't like really dark stuff so I didn't watch them.
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So what is the difference between the OVAs and the TV show? Are the OVAs a prequel or an alternative retelling.

OVAs are a flashback. It starts late in the manga's continuity (and so there are a few mild spoilers) and then tell a prequel story expanding on Chise's crappy childhood.

The TV series will be a straight adaptation of the manga. If you can wait until October, I'd recommend it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

OVAs are a flashback. It starts late in the manga's continuity (and so there are a few mild spoilers) and then tell a prequel story expanding on Chise's crappy childhood.

The TV series will be a straight adaptation of the manga. If you can wait until October, I'd recommend it.
Thanks but I've already seen the first 2 OVAs.I wonder if they will cut the OVA into TV episodes to put in the Anime later on, or re-adapt that part.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana

Only the first couple of minutes of the first OVA take place in the manga continuity. The rest of the OVAs are prequel and are anime original. They serve as an extended explanation of the situation at the beginning of the story. They are consistent with the history given as the story progresses. While they could cut them into the story, I can think of no reason why they should. More likely they will be made available as a separate volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1