• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some frank comments from a HUGE fan of Doraemon.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurNguyen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
With the love for Doraemon that has lasted for 20 years, I think I should give you all at Shin-Ei Animation some frank comments.
The more Doraemon’s movies you make or remake, the more unfamiliar to the original stories or the previous ones as they used to be. I know you are trying to bring something new, something fresh to the Doraemon films in order to keep our love with Mon. Still, please keep in mind that we love Mon, we love Mon’s films JUST because Mon was Mon, Mon is Mon, and Mon should be Mon now and in future. DON’T turn Mon into NOT Mon, PLEASE!
When I watched the original series – the 1979 anime, I like them much. They are simply simple, innocently naïve, and humorous by nature. They are closely based on the comics.
BUT, when it turned to the new generation – the 2005 anime, both short films and movies are quite losing those basic natures. I don’t want to say that Mon’s films now are completely changed to something which follow the modern movie structure, full of unnatural humors, forced-touched scenes, and contain many redundant details. Especially the latest movie: "Doraemon the Movie 2017: Great Adventure in the Antarctic Kachi Kochi", and the one I dislike most is: "Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant Legend 2008". I never mind watching it twice.
We know, we deeply understand, and we highly appreciate what you are doing in an effort to keep Mon alive with time. 20 years ago, I never thought that I could watch a whole feature length Mon film which is full of colour and in high definition. Thanks to your works.
Oh, that’s it. I really want you to know how glad I was when "Stand by Me Doraemon" was listed as one of the highest-grossing animated films of 2014. Mon has been known worldwide since then, not just in some Asia countries. Thanks to your works.
Yet whichever way, please don’t lose the things that bring us to Mon, keep us with Mon over that many years. We should face the fact that our Mon is quite unsuitable for children nowadays. Most of them. Their life is now full of interesting things/movies for them to enjoy, unlike us in the past. That is the TRUTH, nothing we can do with it. But we still can bring something new, something fresh to our Mon beside the old ones, NOT override the core values. Therefore, we can catch some new hearts as well as keep ours with Mon forever after. Else, we would not stand by you anymore, we would turn back to our lovely Doraemon comic books instead, which made our childhood memory.
Here are some frankly constructive comments with all my heart.
I did try to send this through your site but it could not be done, because I cannot write it in Japanese. I hope this should be read by you all at Shin-Ei Animation. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1