Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO -Vanishing Line-


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Animechic420



Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 1401
Location: A Cave Filled With Riches
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
I have this one little nit-pick. Sophi bowed at Hardy and Enith before running off to do whatever. Last I checked, New Yorker's, much less Americans, don't bow their heads. That's an Asian custom. Confused
Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised to see two black characters take center stage here.

I thought that was pretty cool, too. Hardy and Enith actually looked black. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Niello



Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 231
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I have this one little nit-pick. Sophi bowed at Hardy and Enith before running off to do whatever. Last I checked, New Yorker's, much less Americans, don't bow their heads. That's an Asian custom. Confused


Specifically Japanese custom. Other Asian cultures have their own gestures.

That was a disappointing moment in the episode for me with how out of place it looks, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Sword is also doing the praying hand gesture.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Animechic420



Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 1401
Location: A Cave Filled With Riches
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
I have this one little nit-pick. Sophi bowed at Hardy and Enith before running off to do whatever. Last I checked, New Yorker's, much less Americans, don't bow their heads. That's an Asian custom. Confused


Specifically Japanese custom. Other Asian cultures have their own gestures.

That was a disappointing moment in the episode for me with how out of place it looks, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Sword is also doing the praying hand gesture.

I think I've seen non-Asians do that hand gesture before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#874695



Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I think Sword just likes Sexy women

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 2320
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Is there anywhere this is simulcasting for the UK? Thanks,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Merida
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1479
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, i disagree that ep. 2 was worse than the first one, Luke (Rook?) is an interesting character and i actually liked that his fighting style is so different from Sword's. Also, i wasn't really sad that we didn't see much of Sophie since i'd rather have more adult characters than more "little girls in need of saving"...but since she's in the OP, i don't think that's the last we've seen of her, unfortunately.

So far, this looks like a huge step up from Guren no Tsuki which was just terrible in every way. The characters are interesting, the visuals are nice and even the horrors look pretty decent. Definitely looking forward to more!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 2893
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I can't dislike the second episode because of the scene where the horror possesses the guy that was done by Kou Yoshinari. While it was a little cheesy when Luke tossed the bullet into the chamber in slow motion, I thought this episode was pretty exciting too. It is definitely a better successor to the first anime than Crimson Moon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sahmbahdeh



Joined: 05 May 2015
Posts: 559
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I genuinely cannot understand how on earth the reviewer thought episode 2 was a "misfire". What? Ep. 2 was awesome, as well! The action was just as excellent, due to the addition of Luke and his way of doing things which complemented Luke's fighting style, and the direction overall, the animation and the music were top-notch once again. Sophie was only here for a little bit, but that's basically a non-issue for me, as the rest of the episode was just great.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrono1000



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Posts: 470
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I think putting Garo in the modern world gives it a lot of potential though Garo shows are often a roll of the dice when it comes to quality since it greatly depends on the main story. We are still in the character introduction episodes so very little about the main story has been revealed. I was a bit surprised that Luke turned out to be a Makai Priest though the combination of long range and short range attacks does make a lot of sense.

Merida wrote:
Well, i disagree that ep. 2 was worse than the first one, Luke (Rook?) is an interesting character and i actually liked that his fighting style is so different from Sword's. Also, i wasn't really sad that we didn't see much of Sophie since i'd rather have more adult characters than more "little girls in need of saving"...but since she's in the OP, i don't think that's the last we've seen of her, unfortunately.
I am guessing that Sophie is going to end up learning to be a Makai Priest from the woman that will be introduced in the third episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynx Amali



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 1153
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I think putting Garo in the modern world gives it a lot of potential though Garo shows are often a roll of the dice when it comes to quality since it greatly depends on the main story.


Considering the entire franchise take place in modern times, with the exception of Seal of Flame and Crimson Moon, its really not new and is about time that the anime did what the rest of the franchise does, setting wise.

I've yet to find an entry I've outright hated compared to some other franchises. Even Crimson Moon, an entry that's generally agreed to be a poor follow up to Seal, had some good elements like the Armor Designs and Seimei. Seimei deserved to be in a different show.


Last edited by Lynx Amali on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Niello



Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 231
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Niello wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
I have this one little nit-pick. Sophi bowed at Hardy and Enith before running off to do whatever. Last I checked, New Yorker's, much less Americans, don't bow their heads. That's an Asian custom. Confused


Specifically Japanese custom. Other Asian cultures have their own gestures.

That was a disappointing moment in the episode for me with how out of place it looks, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Sword is also doing the praying hand gesture.

I think I've seen non-Asians do that hand gesture before.


...but to a pair of boobs...nvm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 4000
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
I like Luke--from his cool spiritually-powered sniper rifle to his silver Edward Elric braid, but could ep 2's plot been any more cliche? Disabled athlete sells his soul to the devil so he could move like he used to, becomes man-eating monster. The worst part was that no one bothered to tell his wife what happened to him in the end. That's just a recipe to create more Horrors--leaving the Horror victims' relatives confused, anxious and in despair over the state of their missing loved ones. At least come up with a good cover story for her!

I got the impression they were trying to evoke a certain Jamaican Olympic track star, and I hope any such athletes in real life would have the sense to avoid contracts with man-eating demons, no matter the circumstances. Now if they made a story about a real estate mogul selling his soul for political power, I'd completely believe it...

Overall, the show looks good, and the characters look promising, it just needs a few more episodes to develop its world and plot.
(Anyone else wondering what Sophie's Sister might be hiding under that habit? Hmmm)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 1097
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Should I watch the previous two Garo series before trying this one (the animation & crimson moon)? I understand that this isn't a sequel, but if I skip them now, would there be any point in watching them later?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 4000
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Should I watch the previous two Garo series before trying this one (the animation & crimson moon)? I understand that this isn't a sequel, but if I skip them now, would there be any point in watching them later?

There's no connection between the plot or characters, just the source of the bad guys & superpowers and how they work, which is explained in each series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 4000
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Ep 3: That was a really good cheesy 80's action movie! Love Gina! Perfect femme fatale/super agent combo with great acting skills to boot. Sword's gonna be taken by a ride by ladies the whole series, huh? (probably has his whole life, actually.) That's not a bad thing, necessarily. And he's very good natured about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Loading next article...