• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (and Worst) Magical Costumes in Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarFan13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
My favorites are the White one form the 1st Opening, The Pink one form episode 2, the Red one from the 2nd Opening, blue one from episode 12, the yellow one from episode 7, the lilly pad one from episode 4, and the Water jester upgrade from episode 9.

Last edited by StarFan13 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
The Jester costume was one of my favourite costumes from the original series, so I was happy to see an upgraded version of it in the new anime. And I agree that the Crystal Tutu outfit from the first opening is the best costume so far. The Flight Card's ribbon wings match really well with it, too.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
I agree with Lynzee's ranking. Sakura wearing real clothes as opposed to magical clothes is something that I have always really liked and respected about CCS.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
Personally I've always been a fan of minimalist style, so the blue jacket is probably my favorite (followed by the frog jacket). The crystal tutu is just too busy for my taste.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I agree with Lynzee's ranking. Sakura wearing real clothes as opposed to magical clothes is something that I have always really liked and respected about CCS.

Number 5 and 2 need to switch places then we got a flawless list. Wink
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
This column should have presented entirely by Kerochan. Well, Suppi could also interrupt by banging a cue card with a yardstick.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
While the details have been fine, I've found the proportions and, to a lesser extent, silhouettes pretty bad. Syaoran got it worst with the failure to keep his jacket hem on the right side of his beltline (also, a silly hat), but Sakura also suffers.

The best is probably the star one, which only suffers from being designed to work with a giant pair of wings and so is a bit unbalanced without them (it's also a touch busy and fiddly, even by genre standards). Next is probably the pink one, but it lacks the pink-white balance of the original and has a slightly too-short skirt. The jester outfit also works pretty well, although I found it a bit goofy.

For silhouettes, both the coats being conical is an odd choice, especially given that there's a nice femininity to wrap-style coats like the camel and trench. Similarly, the flared tail of the conductor outfit is confounding.

Worst are probably the water lily and opening sequence dresses. Everything on the water lily dress is too short, almost like Sakura went through a growth spurt after it was made, and needs a belt or sash or something moderating the waistline. Compare to Zouave uniforms. The OP dress is just one massive pile-up, with tons of stuff tacked on with no thought to consistent scale or overall shape. Of course, I might be a bit biased by being raised to consider mullet dresses NOKD.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I cannot yet determine whether such a large array of costumes makes the task of a cosplayer easier (by virtue of greater choice) or more difficult (by virtue of each outfit's limited screen time rendering it less recognisable).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
As per my usual reaction: Pretty! Want!
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Even the picture of Tomoyo being surrounded by cute clothes for Sakura is a rehash of the first series. In the Dream Card episode (Episode 40), Tomoyo dreams of Sakura wearing the costumes she designed, with Sakura dancing around her dressed many of the outfits shown in previous episodes.

I hate the OP outfit. It's just too ostentatious. Then again, I really hate the character designs for this series and it greatly bothers me that Touya and Yukito, though now in college, look like they're 12.

Frog Coat is my favorite outfit.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
"fully functional as a rain jacket"

Not sure if the detached sleeves agree with that.
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
For me, the crystal dress is the expected one. Of course they'd have to make one dress that's going to be ~sparkling~ with feathers and frills and gold stripes. It doesn't mean I hate it though, I love the crystals on her legs and the crown.
My favorite is the (wingless) starry dress, its color theme really suits Sakura's hair. And even though the dress has many accessories on it, the simple color make it still feels more casual and less party costume-ish.
The froggy rain coat is a refreshing surprise. If there's a male coat version (with closed shoulder part) of it, I'd wear it in public without a second thought.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
It pays to have a best friend who's totally loaded. XD
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
The froggy rain coat is one of my favourites.
Unfortunately, I have very little time to do cosplay clothes anymore.
But I seriously want to try to fiddle with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1