Forum - View topic
NEWS: Record of Grancrest War Anime's English-Subtitled Trailer Streamed




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3546
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see the author of one of the earliest light novels turned anime (and isekai to boot if I'm not mistaken) having another anime based on their (newer) novels. Kinda feels like things have come full circle.

Haven't seen Lodoss War and I don't know the other writer credited with series composition, so I don't know what to expect writing wise, but the other staff seem promising enough, and it looks fairly good too. I'll certainly check it out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hissatsu01



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 948
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
(and isekai to boot if I'm not mistaken)

Lodoss? You're mistaken.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3546
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Like I said, I haven't watched it (or read it) and I knew it was a fantasy series. Either way, my main point stands.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronie Peter



Joined: 27 Feb 2017
Posts: 119
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
According to Myanimelist, all the works of this author and their respective adaptations are a failure! No work of it has a good score, both written and adapted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skydrop



Joined: 12 Sep 2017
Posts: 84
Location: NY
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The trailer looked better than I anticipated. Actually we should really watch this with low expectation in order to enjoy this show. Well only one area this show might be a noteworthy that the director of Rakugo is behind this show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3546
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Ronie Peter wrote:
According to Myanimelist, all the works of this author and their respective adaptations are a failure! No work of it has a good score, both written and adapted.


I think something that sells 10 million copies is far from a failure. Both the novel and anime have a score of ~7.5 (out of 10) on MAL, which would be between good and very good, by their qualitative equivalents of their scores, putting aside that MAL is not the last word on quality of a show or book. This is not to say that I have high expectations of the writing, but merely that I find the evidence you put forth to be unpersuasive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronie Peter



Joined: 27 Feb 2017
Posts: 119
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Ronie Peter wrote:
According to Myanimelist, all the works of this author and their respective adaptations are a failure! No work of it has a good score, both written and adapted.


I think something that sells 10 million copies is far from a failure. Both the novel and anime have a score of ~7.5 (out of 10) on MAL, which would be between good and very good, by their qualitative equivalents of their scores, putting aside that MAL is not the last word on quality of a show or book. This is not to say that I have high expectations of the writing, but merely that I find the evidence you put forth to be unpersuasive.


Did you by chance look at the works they have there? Have you seen the Top 100 best anime ever from the Japanese that came out recently? Did you check if there is any of his work on the list of the most iconic? Did he receive any awards recognizing his writing skills? No, nothing. There is nothing. So I do not know what you're talking about. You should simply acknowledge that he may even be a good author from a certain point of view, but he is not a big-media success. There are no comments anywhere from some specialized vehicles in animes giving pomp to their newest adaptation.

All I can get from the few users who accompany his works is that what he does in writing is nothing more than a typical story of an RPG, something tasteless. The number of members for the adaptation is ridiculous, as well as the number of members for Light Novel. It will be a miracle if A-1 Pictures manages to make it at least a very lively one, and have some fights that entertain people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3546
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
^Now we're raising the bar, aren't we? No it is not in the top 100 shows on MAL (of which I've seen 70%, which includes shows that haven't aired yet), but that seems to be excessive standard for failure or success. I think being one of the best selling light novels ever and selling 10 million copies meets any reasonable standard of success. Certainly not the most successful author ever, but a success nonetheless. I don't know that many my age have seen the show, but I've at least heard of it, and I suspect that is the case for others. Certainly I've no idea about the quality of the writing, and it may well not be all that good, critically speaking, but that hasn't stopped Reki Kawahara from being rather successful.

To put it briefly, what I'm talking about is that their work has sold well, and MAL's scores for his novels and the anime are fairly positive, contrary to your characterization that it doesn't receive good scores. They are not the most acclaimed or esteemed author, but that doesn't mean their work wasn't a success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brynhild



Joined: 02 Feb 2017
Posts: 122
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
Ronie Peter wrote:

Did you by chance look at the works they have there? Have you seen the Top 100 best anime ever from the Japanese that came out recently? Did you check if there is any of his work on the list of the most iconic? Did he receive any awards recognizing his writing skills? No, nothing. There is nothing. So I do not know what you're talking about. You should simply acknowledge that he may even be a good author from a certain point of view, but he is not a big-media success. There are no comments anywhere from some specialized vehicles in animes giving pomp to their newest adaptation.


Honestly, referring to MAL as anything more than just a database to track shows is where you're heading in the wrong direction for. The ratings and "top anime" on that site are so skewed it's a joke. Success is based off sales and popularity in Japan. Not what some western website filled with 13 year old weebs who make handfuls of accounts just to give their favorite anime a 10 think. Also try to think about how watered down and expansive the market is nowadays compared to 30 years ago when this started.

zrnzle500 wrote:
^Now we're raising the bar, aren't we? No it is not in the top 100 shows on MAL (of which I've seen 70%, which includes shows that haven't aired yet), but that seems to be excessive standard for failure or success. I think being one of the best selling light novels ever and selling 10 million copies meets any reasonable standard of success. Certainly not the most successful author ever, but a success nonetheless. I don't know that many my age have seen the show, but I've at least heard of it, and I suspect that is the case for others. Certainly I've no idea about the quality of the writing, and it may well not be all that good, critically speaking, but that hasn't stopped Reki Kawahara from being rather successful.

To put it briefly, what I'm talking about is that their work has sold well, and MAL's scores for his novels and the anime are fairly positive, contrary to your characterization that it doesn't receive good scores. They are not the most acclaimed or esteemed author, but that doesn't mean their work wasn't a success.


10 Million copies sold is amazing for a light novel. While it's not on the "critical success Sword Art Online" level, it's still a feat in itself. Even moreso, you can tell its success in Japan is there by all the different media the franchise gets, even today, 30 years later.It's also hard to simply discard success based on awards due to the fact that, to my knowledge at least, a lot of the light novel awards being handed out nowadays, did not exist 30 years ago. So yeah. Again, I don't know the 100% certainty of that last fact due to nothing really showing up when I try to google along the lines of "light novel awards in 1988" and what not, but yeah.

P.S. -- Gonna clarify now that I'm not trying to defend this franchise in a fanboy manner. I've seen 10 minutes of the first episode. That's it. I have no other experience with the franchise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12479
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
AoA would be doing many "Lodoss Wars" fans a favor by having Lisa Ortiz appear in a possible "Record of Grancrest War" English dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group