• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America, Crunchyroll Reveal Kiznaiver Anime's English Dub Cast, Home Video Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
CR and Sony working together? Maybe this is a good sign for Funiroll.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
Aniplex of America releasing a dub with a Canadian cast? Shocked That's definitely different.

spoiler[If I told you that I wound up predicting this with a dream English dub cast for Oreimo, you probably wouldn't believe me.]
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
CR and Sony working together? Maybe this is a good sign for Funiroll.

This was way before the CR x Funi partnership even started and they're only working together because CR co-produce Kiznaiver.

Edit:Also AoA is owned by Sony Music, Funi is owned by Sony Pictures TV.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Aniplex of America releasing a dub with a Canadian cast? Shocked That's definitely different.

spoiler[If I told you that I wound up predicting this with a dream English dub cast for Oreimo, you probably wouldn't believe me.]

Unfortunately, I doubt this will be more than a one-off. Kiznaiver was an Aniplex Japan production, but Crunchyroll were on the production committee. They handled the English dub, not AoA.

I say it'll probably be a one-off because post FuniRoll, almost every show CR's been on the production committee of has received a Funimation "simuldub."
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
It’s a shame CR being on the Production comittee couldn’t bring the price lower than $10 an episode.
sonryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Once again, a title I want to buy is released by Aniplex at an unreasonable price. I've said this before elsewhere: I spend thousands a year on anime and manga, so I'm certainly doing my part to support the industry. And I always by Collector/Limited editions. But there's no way I'm supporting Aniplex at those ridiculously high prices. The bonus content they provide does not justify the cost, in my opinion. Such a damn shame too, because they have a lot of titles that I want (Aldnoah Zero, Gurren Lagann, Sword Art, Kill la Kill - just to name a few).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Odly Lucas Gilbertsons ANN page says that he retired this year from voice acting, despite being in 2 Anime dubs this year. Also happy to see that lately we are getting more Canadian dubs. Gives some variety.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
sonryu wrote:
Once again, a title I want to buy is released by Aniplex at an unreasonable price. I've said this before elsewhere: I spend thousands a year on anime and manga, so I'm certainly doing my part to support the industry. And I always by Collector/Limited editions. But there's no way I'm supporting Aniplex at those ridiculously high prices. The bonus content they provide does not justify the cost, in my opinion. Such a damn shame too, because they have a lot of titles that I want (Aldnoah Zero, Gurren Lagann, Sword Art, Kill la Kill - just to name a few).
Just import from the UK, get a region B player.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
That’s a high price for only 12 episodes especially on a show that isn’t particularly good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Giolon wrote:
That’s a high price for only 12 episodes especially on a show that isn’t particularly good.

Someone, somewhere, loves it enough for that.

The only Aniplex releases I've ever bought were both seasons of Valvrave at that price per season, and those were sub-only, because I'm that one person that loves Valvrave that much. Will do anything for my glasses boy and his ~5 minutes total of screentime.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I liked what the show was trying to do, but by the end the spoiler[love triangles became more important than the story itself.] I will probably give the show a re-watch before I make a decision, but it will definitely be at the bottom of the list. This seems like a mid-tier release for Aniplex on a scale of Sword Art Online/Garden of Sinners at the top, Anthem of the Heart/Monogatari Second Season in the middle, and Oreshura/Nanana at the bottom. These ratings have nothing to do with the quality of the shows themeselves, but rather with release schedule, quality of the release format/presentation of the material, and cost.

I don't expect $700 set for Kiznaiver, or individual limited editions at four-per-season, one-shot-sub-only and no art box, or plastic case no-extra zombie. At the same time, I still haven't picked up Erased yet. Dammit, Aniplex.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad to see them give something that wasn't a massive hit, a physical release. Too many of their shows get totally ignored by them because they can't sell them at Fate or Madoka prices.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little iffy on Ocean dubs but their later dubs have been more solid so I'll give it a chance.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
But I thought people were saying it wouldn't get dubbed because it isn't popular in Japan. Actually people were saying this wouldn't get released at all. Ha, yeah right. For an anime this popular in the West, it would've been a stupid decision not to release at all.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I saw the announcement on the CR website and was very disappointed when they only included Eng subs for this release. Maybe they just didn't put it on the website, maybe they'll make another release for Spanish-speaking people, but the lack of Spanish subs for this release is very annoying to me.

AoA sometimes include Spanish subs in their releases, and I usually don't mind no Spanish subs, but for some reason I felt very annoyed when they announced this BD without Spanish subs.

A very honest question: is it hard or expensive or time-consuming to include Spanish subs in the shows when they already subbed the show when originally streaming? Does anyone know about this?

Or do they just don't care about that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2