• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll's Foreign-Language Dubs Launch November 16

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
That's a really cool initiative from Crunchyroll and I hope it pays of for them even if I don't plan on watching any of these. The only one I could watch would be French and honestly as a French Canadian I just can't stand the French accent from France.

Last edited by GoldCrusader on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I have zero faith in this when their subs are incorrect at least 20-30% of the time as it is. real shame they won't invest in higher quality translations and better QC. This season alone I've spotted 5 grammatical errors among the first 3 episodes of the shows I was watching. Can't trust them when even with my limited Japanese, I can find so many errors. I can't imagine how many more errors there are that I don't see.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean we could watch, for example, the Spanish dub with English subs?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
NO FAIR!!! HOW COME THEY GET DUBS AND WE DON'T?! (But Astros won though, so I can't be too sad).

Kougeru wrote:
I have zero faith in this when their subs are incorrect at least 20-30% of the time as it is. real shame they won't invest in higher quality translations and better QC. This season alone I've spotted 5 grammatical errors among the first 3 episodes of the shows I was watching. Can't trust them when even with my limited Japanese, I can find so many errors. I can't imagine how many more errors there are that I don't see.

You might as well be fluent.

Last edited by Gemnist on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
That's a really cool initiative from Crunchyroll and I hope it pays of for them even if I don't plan on watching any of these. The only one I could watch would be French and honestly as a French Canadian I just can't stand the French accent from France.

That is a mutual thing: French people cannot stand the Canadian accent, it's very difficult to take it seriously. It's like hearing a parody.
But honestly, I don't like much french dubbing of anime myself.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I would usually think, "don't nitpick", but in one episode of a show I'm watching now, they called one character by a different character's name, so yeah, I'm sympathetic to that. (the character who's name they used is barely in this anime, but is important in the source material, so it's sort of a big insult).

I might try the French dubs, since I'm learning French, and that might be an interesting way to practice.
everapril

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
So, still no Rokka English dub? That's a shame, it's one I'd like to share with a few subtitle adverse friends.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Ausgezeichnet! Since its advent, the world of online streaming has been more bountiful for some regions than others, simply by virtue of numbers (both of people and of dollars). A project such as this helps remedy such an inequality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the dawn of a new dubbing era era at last Anime cry

Quote:
Regional availability for the Schwarzes Marken dubs ... the Spanish dub will be available in Latin America

I encourage all spanish speaking members of crunchyroll in the USA to ask crunchy to reconsider and include the USA in all spanish dubs releases, 12% of the population knows spanish so it makes sense for crunchy to include the option if they have already paid for the dub.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
everapril wrote:
So, still no Rokka English dub? That's a shame, it's one I'd like to share with a few subtitle adverse friends.

I expect it will end up on the Funimation side at some point.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
Like that there are more dubs for many others to enjoy. As always, just wish for more regions have more streaming stuff.
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
everapril wrote:

Isn't there is one on PoniCan releases though?
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
NO FAIR!!! HOW COME THEY GET DUBS AND WE DON'T?! (But Astros won though, so I can't be too sad).
The Funimation partnership. Given how little interest Funi has in the rest of the world, it's unlikely that the English dubs will be streamed outside Anglo America.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
The Funimation partnership. Given how little interest Funi has in the rest of the world, it's unlikely that the English dubs will be streamed outside Anglo America.

Due to the sony acquisition, I expect Funi to expand their streaming site to cover the whole anglosphere and the dubs to start appearing on the animax (asia) channel .But yeah, Funi has no interest in other languages beyond enlish, heck I would not be surprised if they made some anime like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust where the english dub was created first (and a japanese dub came later on).
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Due to the sony acquisition, I expect Funi to expand their streaming site to cover the whole anglosphere and the dubs to start appearing on the animax (asia) channel .

I'm curious on how quickly (if at all) such cross-pollination will occur within Sony. After all, Animax isn't even fully owned subsidiary of Sony Pictures Entertainment Japan, and Funimation is under Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. in the US. Putting aside the ownership, subsidiaries of Sony don't exactly have a great record of rapid and smooth cooperation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2