• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are shows you'd love to see added to Toonami in the future?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkSeasonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
What are some shows you'd all love to see on the revived Toonami block at some point? Here's a list of some I think would be a great fit:

Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga
Sorcerous Stabber Orphen
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
The Slayers
My Hero Academia
Baccano!
Durarara!!
Trigun
Record of Lodoss War
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Eureka Seven AO
Tiger & Bunny
Fairy Tail
D.Gray-man
Soul Eater Not!
Log Horizon
Toriko
Afro Samurai
Lupin III Parts 1 - 3
Noragami
Full Metal Panic

I don't know how likely some of these are to air on the block due to licensing and such, but one can always hope
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Slayers Series
My Hero Academia
Eureka Seven AO
Tiger & Bunny
Fairy Tail
Aquarion Series
Accel World
Tales of Zestiria the X
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell Arise
Space Patrol Luluco - a short, yeah, but a boy can dream...
Teekyu - shrug, more dreaming
Samurai Pizza Cats - gotta fill that 5:30 slot with something
Lucky Star
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
Jason DeMarco made it sound like shows that are over a decade old probably won't be added on Toonami unless it was a classic that was on the old days of CN and Adult Swim. I would like to see some more Seinen on Toonami. I don't mind having some Shonen on Toonami.

Shonen titles:

Mob Psycho 100
Noragami
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Ushio and Tora (2015)

Seinen titles:

Drifters
Gangsta
Garo: The Animation
Inuyashiki (When it gets dubbed)
Psycho Pass
Terra Formars
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
Probably not possible, but would like to see Sailor Moon come back Either the Crystal series or showing the last season that was never dubbed.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey LinkSeasonMaster,

This thread may get closed as it runs afoul of a couple rules of the site. ANN likes to promote discussion of contemporary topics so they frown on unannotated lists and trivial speculation of what "might" happen.

You might save it if you rewrite the thread-starter into a discussion of where you think Toonami is now and what you'd like it to be, with your listed shows as examples that support your idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

This thread may get closed as it runs afoul of a couple rules of the site. ANN likes to promote discussion of contemporary topics so they frown on unannotated lists and trivial speculation of what "might" happen.

You might save it if you rewrite the thread-starter into a discussion of where you think Toonami is now and what you'd like it to be, with your listed shows as examples that support your idea.

Bingo. We don't allow list threads/responses because they don't foster discussion. You need to edit your OP to add reasons WHY you want those shows on Toonammi and why you think they would work. The same applies to everyone else please. Otherwise if the list posts keep up this thread will wind up locked.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
First off, one has to assume that they're going to focus more on recent releases (new series or new licences), just because the companies want to push releases. I'd say anything over 2 or 3 years old is probably out, unless it has been rereleased recently.

Here's stuff I think may have a shot:

Danganronpa: The Animation: Yeah, it's gruesome, but with the pink blood and discretion shots, it's mostly censored. Plus, they could play DR3 as well, though I think a lot of people would be confused, without knowing Super Danganronpa 2 or Ultra Despair Girls.

GARO: I would love to see the tokusatsu shown, but I think it would require too much censorship. I haven't seen either of the first two anime, but Vanishing Line doesn't seem like it would be rated too high to show.

Clockwork Planet: It may skew slightly younger than a lot of their shows, but, at the same time, they play DBZ, so... There's nothing objectionable in it to block it there, and it has both action and thinky parts, that I think would mesh well with other shows on the block.

Akashic Records of the Bastard Magical Instructor: I don't remember off the top of my head if there's anything objectionable in it to block it from airing, but I think the humor in this would go over well.

Attack on Titan 2: Given that they played the first season, one would expect this one to be a shoo-in.

Assassination Classroom: Like ARotBMI, this has a mix of action and humor that would go over well with Toonami's audiences.

Thunderbolt Fantasy: Highly unlikely, but with the names attached, this one could have a shot.

As for things that have already been mentioned...
LinkSeasonMaster's List
Code Geass, Durarara!! (first season), Trigun, Evangelion, and Lupin III have aired in the past. Also, the original Eureka Seven series did as well, and I heard that AO didn't go over very well.
Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga is likely, depending on how well the original series did. Baccano I've heard they've been in talks for before, and that it would have to be edited or something and that it wouldn't work.
Orphen is pretty old, almost 20 years, so highly unlikely. Slayers as well, plus it's had problems with other networks. Afro Samurai is another one that has aired on another network, and I think Spike might even have contributed to it, which could keep it off of another network completely.
Full Metal Panic I honestly don't think would work well, it's not really a show that would work well on Toonami. Log Horizon as well. It's one of my favorite shows, but it's just not something for Toonami. Same with D.Gray-man, though with the length and how slow the story can move, that'd be a big complaint against it as well.
Fairy Tail would have one of two responses: 1) it's loved; 2) "OMG, it's a One Piece clone, this sucks!". And that'll keep it off. Soul Eater Not would have a similar reaction, except with the original.
My Hero Academia and Tiger & Bunny would be the only two that I think really would work.

cyberdraco's list
Most of these I already mentioned, here's the new ones:

Accel World has a chance, just because of its connection to SAO. I don't know further than that.
Zestiria I just don't think has the right "feel" for Toonami.

Nom De Plume De Fanboy's list
I only know 3 of your list...
GitS: Arise, I think, would have a lot of problems because it's so different from teh GitS that they've been playing ad naseum for years.
SPC maybe, but it's a little too silly for them.
Lucky Star is definitely out, it's too slice-of-life, which has never done well on Toonami.

Spawn29's list
Mob Psycho is a maybe, since they played OPM.

Drifters is definitely out, they're not going to play anything that'll get people mad at them over religion. Psycho-Pass is too GitS-y, and Terra Formars would have to be edited. So I think both are out as well.

Haterater's list
I highly doubt we'll ever see SM on Toonami.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Drifters is definitely out, they're not going to play anything that'll get people mad at them over religion.

They played similar shows with offensive religious themes such as Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate, so I think Drifters would be fine.

At the moment, Mob Psycho 100, My Hero Academia and Sailor Moon Crystal are unavailable due to some kind of exclusivity deal with Hulu/other problems with Funimation (it's possible they're hoarding Mob and Academia for their own streaming service).

Some realistic choices:

BTOOOM! - This would attract the Deadman Wonderland crowd and people who complain that Toonami shows too many shows that are for children.
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie - Good choice for a movie night. The last time it aired was over a decade ago, edited, on Adult Swim. They could show it uncut and in HD now.
Mr. Osomatsu - When Jason DeMarco recently posted on Twitter about the hypothetical situation of shows people would like to see Toonami air if they went outside the action genre, an English dub premiere of Mr. Osomatsu was one of the highest requested.
Oban Star-Racers - The creators are actively seeking out an outlet to produce a sequel/spinoff for this highly praised 2006 racing series. Toonami would be a great home -
plus they could air the original, which I've heard requested before. The series may be kid-friendly, but it has the same adult appeal that got things like ThunderCats and Sym-Bionic Titan on the block.
Persona 4 the Animation - The Persona 5 anime is going to be pretty big. The Persona 4 anime is also a rare example of a solid video game-based anime. It would be cool if Toonami worked something out with Sentai where they played Persona 4 and then premiered the dub of the Persona 5 anime.
Redline - If Toonami ever did a movie night again, this would be a great choice. It's full of explosive action and eye candy to grab eyeballs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1