• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2017 MEGA POLL (survey)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
If there isn't an option to create a thread from the feature itself I wouldn't normally open one, but there is a show missing that I'd like to vote for.

Owarimonogatari (second season) (Thank you for adding!)

unless you're excluding them for being "specials" that were dumped all at once.

Still, it's the finale of one of my favorite series ever made. It seems like it really should get some praise.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I don't understand why the list can't include any anime that initially airs during the year in question, whether or not the series itself is new. Why *shouldn't* a show like One Piece, for example, be eligible? Is it not anime? Why exclude it and other shows like it?
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
There should be two different polls, one for new anime and another for new seasons/ongoing anime.

And also please use the japanese names, many anime have really weird names in english and are barely recognizable.
mfojmep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Some errors detected:
* "RIN-NE seanson 2" was aired in 2016. The correct for 2017 is "RIN-NE season 3".
* There are two "Owarimonogatari (second season)" available for voting.
* "Trickster" started in Oct/2016. It shouldn't be in the poll, because "is limited to anime TV series that started new seasons in 2017".
* "March Comes In Like a Lion" is season 2.
* There are some titles at the end of the list that are out of the alphabetical order.
* The Japanese names are missing. You should have included them besides the English names. Example: "Land of the Lustrous (Houseki no Kuni)".
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
There should be two different polls, one for new anime and another for new seasons/ongoing anime.

And also please use the japanese names, many anime have really weird names in english and are barely recognizable.

That's a good idea. ANN really should be more considerate when making these polls. I've taken the liberty of editing some of the entries so folks can better discern what titles we're talking about.

Most years My top 10 is a little excruciating - having to decide what I loved more is kind of like pulling teeth if all my teeth had names and left an emotional impact on me - but this year I ended up picking my top ones pretty easily. I was tempted to pick Magus Bride but I have a rule not to include shows that haven't finished by the end of the year. It should definitely have a spot on my 2018 list though.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:

And the reverse is true when they're left only in Japanese.

This is, and has always been, an English-language site, and we've always used official English names when available. Not sure why people expect differently at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
mfojmep wrote:
Some errors detected:
* "RIN-NE seanson 2" was aired in 2016. The correct for 2017 is "RIN-NE season 3".
* There are two "Owarimonogatari (second season)" available for voting.
* "Trickster" started in Oct/2016. It shouldn't be in the poll, because "is limited to anime TV series that started new seasons in 2017".
* "March Comes In Like a Lion" is season 2.
* There are some titles at the end of the list that are out of the alphabetical order.
* The Japanese names are missing. You should have included them besides the English names. Example: "Land of the Lustrous (Houseki no Kuni)".

RIN-NE has been changed to season 3 (should carry over all the votes it got as well).

I only see one Owarimonogats on my end.

Trickster continued from Fall 2016. We count shows that do that because of past complaints about the endings of those shows never getting their due. The poll wording may be slightly confusing on that, but Fall 2016 stuff that concluded in Winter 2017 is eligible.

Same with March comes in like a lion. Season 1 continued into winter of this year, season 2 started in fall, and they're not really branded as separate seasons anyway, just one long show with a break.

The titles at the end which are out of alphabetical order were added after the poll was published, so they're manually at the bottom, not much can be done about that.

English titles are the official mandated titles as confirmed by the Japanese licensor. It's the title they want people to use in English. "Houseki no Kuni" isn't a more valid title, it's just a romanization of the Japanese title, which as Lossthief points out, is not "Houseki no Kuni" but 宝石の国. We use the official English titles, which are easy to find if for some reason you don't yet know them, and easy to CTRL+F for, as is any other title you might be having trouble finding in the big list.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Well Nobunaga no Shinobi doesn't even have Nobunaga in it's english title, I have to google the name to even find it. Of course I'm not really expecting anything from you, using the real names is too much of a hassle for the main stream after all (°3°)
mfojmep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Some errors detected:

I only see one Owarimonogats on my end.

There were two Owarimonogatari entries when I checked the list for the first time.

ANN had fixed it before I checked again.

Thanks.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Well Nobunaga no Shinobi doesn't even have Nobunaga in it's english title, I have to google the name to even find it. Of course I'm not really expecting anything from you, using the real names is too much of a hassle for the main stream after all (°3°)

You have to google it? Where are you watching it that does not provide the English title? It seems to me (unless you're watching in Japan) that the only place you could be doing so are from not legit viewing platforms. And apparently not even pirates of the official subs as the English Title it RIGHT THERE in the subtitles. So, before you complain about the validity of a show's title maybe you should consider watching that show from a valid source! Jacob's explanation was very clear and concise. The romanization is less of a "real" title than the English one. It just is. I don't always like the English titles (years later I'm still annoyed by "Cat Planet Cuties" and it's earlier Crunchyroll English title) but those ARE the actual, real, valid, legit, authorized English titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow I had to struggle to name a #5. Thankfully the 4 titles I could name off the top of my head I think are really great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1