• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Violet Evergarden: Eternity and the Auto Memories Doll

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The review was excellent. I so can't wait for this to make its way here. I am a big Violet Evergarden Fan
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that first part of the story along with Liz and the Blue Bird and arguably the rest of Euphonium makes you want to holler, "KyoAni, really consider adapting a yuri manga or light novel in the future," after they recover of course.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:39 am Reply with quote
Again, I felt that Kyoani really needs to improve on the basics.
Is very obvious how the script could be better, with simple and small changes. Isn't this story more about Isabella/Amy, Tayler and Benedict, NOT Violet? Why Violet has so much screen time in this? Why she spends so much time together with Taylor in the second half? Shouldn't Taylor work with Benedict more?
Actually, the movie should had began with Benedict delivering Amy's letter to Taylor.

It's hard to understand how Kyoani dropped the ball so easily with this one.
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
The review was excellent. I so can't wait for this to make its way here. I am a big Violet Evergarden Fan

Actually, this review is extremely poor: the text looked like it was shoehorning personal politics and words taken from a gender studies textbook to make it sound more impressive than it is. Things like "classism" and "heteronormativity" do not figure at all in this movie in any way. It's another example of ANN attempting to control the narrative by stuffing reviews full of gender studies jargon and convincing people to be mindful of issues that are unrelated to the anime. Convenient, really, since between the film's Japanese release and BD release, there's no way for us viewers to challenge them, since we can't say we've seen the film (if we do, then it's easy to say "but you haven't seen the movie, so your opinion is uninformed).

Panino Manino wrote:
Again, I felt that Kyoani really needs to improve on the basics.
Is very obvious how the script could be better, with simple and small changes. Isn't this story more about Isabella/Amy, Tayler and Benedict, NOT Violet? Why Violet has so much screen time in this? Why she spends so much time together with Taylor in the second half? Shouldn't Taylor work with Benedict more?
Actually, the movie should had began with Benedict delivering Amy's letter to Taylor.

It's hard to understand how Kyoani dropped the ball so easily with this one.

Except they didn't drop the ball, and the side story was an excellent one that simply shows more to Violet's character and builds on the world she lives in. They nailed the basics and the script.

1) If the story was about Isabella, Taylor, and Benedict alone, it would not make sense, since Violet was the one who started things. It makes sense for her to be involved in the extent that she did. While things could have worked with another one of CH Postal's Dolls, the point of this story was about how Violet comes to learn what friendship is. It's a side story, yes, but it's her side story.

2) Violet said that she would be willing to go to any length to ensure her promise to Isabella was upheld, and looking after Taylor was her way of doing this: the time they spend together was to help Taylor learn to read and write.

3) While Taylor should be spending more time with Benedict if she were an apprentice, she isn't a full apprentice yet, and is just shadowing him and Violet to get a feel for things. Before she could even approach the apprenticeship, she needs to master reading and writing first.

4) No, it should not: delivering the letter to her with no context would diminish the emotional impact, and the way the film started, with Taylor on a boat bound for Leden, was meant to keep Taylor in the viewer's mind.

If you're looking for an explanation of the film, besides ANN's, there's also this one, which goes into a bit more detail behind the movie. It's worth a read and really explains why the film is done the way that it is.

Last edited by BlackWolf26 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
BlackWolf26 wrote:

Except they didn't drop the ball, and the side story was an excellent one that simply shows more to Violet's character and builds on the world she lives in. They nailed the basics and the script.

I insist, Violet's presence was a mistake. She is not the protagonist in this story, she should have stayed more on the sidelines.
Yes, "she started things", but does she also needs to finish things? No.
What's more to be developed about her character? And again, her presence gets in the way of "building" the world where she lives, because we see less of that world and other people because of her presence.

If this movie is a side story than make this a side story.
Violet already have another full movie just for her and her deceased but alive captain.
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
BlackWolf26 wrote:

I insist, Violet's presence was a mistake. She is not the protagonist in this story, she should have stayed more on the sidelines.
Yes, "she started things", but does she also needs to finish things? No.
What's more to be developed about her character? And again, her presence gets in the way of "building" the world where she lives, because we see less of that world and other people because of her presence.

If this movie is a side story than make this a side story.
Violet already have another full movie just for her and her deceased but alive captain.

"I insist" will suddenly make me agree with you? Going to have to do better than that. The reason why Violet is the focus of this movie is to have her understand friendship at her own pace, which sets the stage for the sequel movie.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
BlackWolf26 wrote:

"I insist" will suddenly make me agree with you? Going to have to do better than that. The reason why Violet is the focus of this movie is to have her understand friendship at her own pace, which sets the stage for the sequel movie.

Oh yes, I can do better, that's why I insist that you read what I wrote after "I insist,".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1