• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Holy Diver Game Finally Gets English Release on NES 29 Years Later

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yappers4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
My only question about these kind of very late releases on very old consoles is how can it be played if there is barely any functioning consoles?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
It's been down too long in the midnight sea.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
My only question about these kind of very late releases on very old consoles is how can it be played if there is barely any functioning consoles?

There are still a lot of working NES systems out there (It did sell 61.91 million units when it was around). And it is easy to fix the problem that most of them have, where the screen blinks and doesn't load the game right (most people blow into the cartridge to "fix" it). You just buy a new 72 pin connector (which is fairly inexpensive) and replace it. The hardest part is pulling off the old connector.

Also there is hardware like the retron5 which will let you play the cartridges to several classic systems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
A lot of those old consoles are harder to break than newer ones, if you can believe that.

These are interesting times to be collecting retro games - prices freakin' skyrocketed a few years ago, which makes me feel quite fortunate I got some golden titles before that. But there's been a jump in officially licensed reproductions lately, like this, which is somewhat new territory. There's things like flash carts and unofficial repros of course, but if you're already collecting rather than emulating to begin with, there's something more attractive about a licensed deluxe product.

Not mentioned here, but the other interesting thing they got from Irem is an R-Type multi-cart with Super R-Type and R-Type III. The former is fairly common, but R-Type III is quite expensive - and it's one of the best games on the system (no, really). I happened to get the Super Famicom version before it got up there, but it's really neat that now people can officially get some kind of hard copy.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
That's bananas, but this must be great for anyone who really wanted to play this title upon first hearing of it and learning it was never brought over.

Considering what the game has in it (crosses, devils, and demonic imagery), and who Irem essentially based the main character on (Ronnie James Dio), it's not surprising it didn't make it here way back when. Then again, Japan gets equal points for coming up with these bizarre ideas of theirs, and being able to allude to things and people that would normally get most folks sued due to overly sensitive copyright infringement.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
It's been down too long in the midnight sea.

It better have an 8 bit rendition of this song in it!!
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I know this ain't Dio but I must ask:

CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS!???

Maiden Forever
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
I know this ain't Dio but I must ask:

CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS!???

Maiden Forever

Yes indeed. Up the Irons!!
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the references.

Finally, the NES game for metalheads is coming. You really can't go wrong with characters named Ozzy, Randy and Zakk. I believed they missed a golden opportunity to insert an Armored Saint somewhere in there though.

I normally pay no attention to repro carts, especially limited edition ones, but I think this game just might be worth it. If only Sweet Home and Mother could get similar treatment. :(
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1