Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Pikachu Live-Action Film Casts Rita Ora




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3733
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Gross. They're trying way too hard to mainstream this
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 2823
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
^ Rita Ora is a nobody so that's a bit much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CatSword



Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 859
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
From Fifty Shades Freed to Detective Pikachu. Guess we'll see if that's a downgrade or an improvement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
DamianSalazar



Joined: 25 Jul 2017
Posts: 54
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I was never expecting her to be on this website, let alone having a film career...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
C-MC



Joined: 17 Apr 2016
Posts: 23
Location: Skopje, Macedonia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
I was never expecting her to be on this website, let alone having a film career...
her first movie was Spivs back in 2004
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenbyakugon



Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 657
Location: Ohio, United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
I was never expecting her to be on this website, let alone having a film career...


Right!? So stoked!! QUEEN Rita killlllllling it! Two of my favorite things coming right together. <3

(Also, she has been Mia Grey in the Fifty Shades franchise since this time in 2015.)

Kougeru wrote:
Gross. They're trying way too hard to mainstream this


Rita only JUST became mainstream, as of about a month ago, when “For You” (with Liam Payne) hit. She has been out of the limelight mostly since her most well known song, Iggy Azalea’s “Black Widow” (which Rita had been featured on), was released several years ago.

Also, she’s one classy lady, so you can retract that “gross” remark. Okay? Thanks.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
^ Rita Ora is a nobody so that's a bit much.


Again, see above. She is crossing over from nobody to somebody lately. Most of her fandom exists on social media.

CatSword wrote:
From Fifty Shades Freed to Detective Pikachu. Guess we'll see if that's a downgrade or an improvement.


Well considering one was awesome and the other will also expectedly be awesome, likely neither. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 2823
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Tenbyakugon"]

Again, see above. She is crossing over from nobody to somebody lately. Most of her fandom exists on social media.

So basically she's the 2nd coming of Kim Kardashian minus the sex tape? Even then that doesn't refute my point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeorgeC



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 442
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
And it should be pointed out that fame based on social media is VERY unstable.

There have been, what, at least 3 or 4 major social media services or websites that have come and gone? Anybody remember MySpace and how that was "Facebook" before Facebook existed?

A million social media celebrities have come and gone in the past 10-13 years social media has been a "thing."
They still have to shock or continue to hold people's interests just like anybody in traditional entertainment. No question "Kim" doesn't depend on just social media -- she has her own publicist and other reps. I frankly never followed celebrities that much pre- or post-social media but the bigger ones play the game about the same as it always has been even before the Internet/WWW was a part of everybody's lives.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gamer Goku



Joined: 07 May 2015
Posts: 53
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 am Reply with quote
Rita ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kakoishii



Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 686
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
And it should be pointed out that fame based on social media is VERY unstable.

There have been, what, at least 3 or 4 major social media services or websites that have come and gone? Anybody remember MySpace and how that was "Facebook" before Facebook existed?

A million social media celebrities have come and gone in the past 10-13 years social media has been a "thing."
They still have to shock or continue to hold people's interests just like anybody in traditional entertainment. No question "Kim" doesn't depend on just social media -- she has her own publicist and other reps. I frankly never followed celebrities that much pre- or post-social media but the bigger ones play the game about the same as it always has been even before the Internet/WWW was a part of everybody's lives.

I never thought I'd be making a reply like this on ANN but...
Rita Ora is far more than a social media celebrity. I have no idea how a comparison to her and Kim Kardashian even came about. Rita's career has had a far more legitimate trajectory. Most people would probably know her for her music first, although I guess she probably does have a social media following, that's more or less mandatory for anyone up and coming who wants their career to blow up. She's also had far more legitimate gigs outside of singing such as acting, modeling, and she's been the host of a few television shows (reality competition based). Not surprised a lot of people don't know her as she's literally like one of those celebrity's you might have possibly come across a few times but just never learned their names, but that said, if you think her presence in this project somehow just now makes this movie too mainstream, you are several casting announcements too late on that train.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 2153
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Gross. They're trying way too hard to mainstream this


Yeah, the artisan Pokemon franchise deserves so much better!

Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Loading next article...