• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saban Brands, Nickelodeon Renew Power Rangers Partnership Until 2021

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
they need to leave Nick, the 2 years per team (20 episodes each) really screwed things up
Ryasha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:10 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
they need to leave Nick, the 2 years per team (20 episodes each) really screwed things up

Especially with the 5 month hiatus they take after 7 or 8 episodes with little to no warning just to make each 20 episode "season" last a whole year.
Re'Nell Glover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:52 am Reply with quote
Ryasha wrote:
theNightster wrote:

Especially with the 5 month hiatus they take after 7 or 8 episodes with little to no warning just to make each 20 episode "season" last a whole year.

Well, where else would they go? Maybe KidsClick, but it's not in that many homes. Maybe Netflix or Hulu, since they've had previous seasons on there, but the episode order would've been much less. And DEFINITELY NOT CN or Disney X D
#sukkar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:59 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Super seasons might come to an end. You'll notice this was a three year renewal and not a two or four year.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

They also need to stop putting "Super" in front of the second half of every season. It's beyond idiotic. I thought they would have learned that lesson after Super Megaforce. Name sounds like it was focus tested in front a group of 3 year olds.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:17 am Reply with quote
so um power rangers series still active give wait see next year team of rangers series going to be?

yet still on nick channel wonder can we get it back full year season & not the 20-20s eps back to back season years?

besides need go back full year along no more mid-months breaks besides it really make enough years gap already wonder which sentai will be rangers series?

(yet still wonder how rangers verse be give most of them are same earth expect RPM being alternate earth spoiler[give still question which earth is dino charge & ninja steel are in] worlds)

yea still watching power rangers.
DjangoDCCX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
I'm just going to say the 20-episode-per-season rule is no excuse for the weak writing and terrible acting from recent outings. Any other show would have been able to work around it, especially with fewer filler episodes. I know the "monster of the week" formula is bread and butter for shows like Power Rangers, but most episodes seem to be written for no other purpose than to teach a lesson to an audience that, for the most part, doesn't want to educated.

I also don't appreciate the very clear preference for cheap gimmicks designed to sell merchandise at the expense of storytelling. Not even the Disney seasons were that bad about it, and I've seen them twice.

I honestly don't blame Nickelodeon for any faults with the show, other then enforcing the 20-episode rule, and I see why Saban feels the need to stick with them. The only other option would be the move the show to Disney XD, which doesn't have as much clearance as Nickelodeon.

As for moving the show to Netflix, the one kids' show that gets all of the water-cooler conversations was Voltron: Legendary Defender, and that's from older viewers. I haven't heard one peep from any other original series on the service, save for the brief moment of hype when Trollhunters was premiering, but I do see a lot of low-effort programs that seem to be there because no cable network would take them. Maybe that's why "Glitter Force" failed, because it couldn't get any traction on a streaming service, the way the more-popular Power Rangers did on the much more visible Nickelodeon network.

That, and the fact that Saban localized the show like it was still the 90s, when there was (almost) no need for it. In general, after what happened with Digimon, Pretty Cure, and Vortexx, Saban Brands feels like a company that lives in the past.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
DjangoDCCX wrote:
I'm just going to say the 20-episode-per-season rule is no excuse for the weak writing and terrible acting from recent outings.
The original MMPR wasn't exactly well acted or well written either, to be fair.

I wonder if a reason they skip every other sentai series to adapt these days is because of how old they are. Jyuohger comes after Ninninger, but its practically ancient in Japan now.

-Stuart Smith
Re'Nell Glover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
DjangoDCCX wrote:
I'm just going to say the 20-episode-per-season rule is no excuse for the weak writing and terrible acting from recent outings. Any other show would have been able to work around it, especially with fewer filler episodes. I know the "monster of the week" formula is bread and butter for shows like Power Rangers, but most episodes seem to be written for no other purpose than to teach a lesson to an audience that, for the most part, doesn't want to educated.

I also don't appreciate the very clear preference for cheap gimmicks designed to sell merchandise at the expense of storytelling. Not even the Disney seasons were that bad about it, and I've seen them twice.

I honestly don't blame Nickelodeon for any faults with the show, other then enforcing the 20-episode rule, and I see why Saban feels the need to stick with them. The only other option would be the move the show to Disney Anime hyper, which doesn't have as much clearance as Nickelodeon.

In case you've forgotten, Disney ( under the Buena Vista name), gave up all rights to the show because it apparently became too expensive to continue production.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
DjangoDCCX wrote:

I honestly don't blame Nickelodeon for any faults with the show, other then enforcing the 20-episode rule, and I see why Saban feels the need to stick with them. The only other option would be the move the show to Disney Anime hyper, which doesn't have as much clearance as Nickelodeon.

As for moving the show to Netflix, the one kids' show that gets all of the water-cooler conversations was Voltron: Legendary Defender, and that's from older viewers. I haven't heard one peep from any other original series on the service, save for the brief moment of hype when Trollhunters was premiering, but I do see a lot of low-effort programs that seem to be there because no cable network would take them. Maybe that's why "Glitter Force" failed, because it couldn't get any traction on a streaming service, the way the more-popular Power Rangers did on the much more visible Nickelodeon network.

That, and the fact that Saban localized the show like it was still the 90s, when there was (almost) no need for it. In general, after what happened with Digimon, Pretty Cure, and Vortexx, Saban Brands feels like a company that lives in the past.
to be fair though Dino charge was actually quite good, unfortunately the quality went back down when Ninja steel started
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
DjangoDCCX wrote:
I'm just going to say the 20-episode-per-season rule is no excuse for the weak writing and terrible acting from recent outings.
The original MMPR wasn't exactly well acted or well written either, to be fair.

I wonder if a reason they skip every other sentai series to adapt these days is because of how old they are. Jyuohger comes after Ninninger, but its practically ancient in Japan now.

-Stuart Smith

I think its more subject matter (If were just how old the seasons were they would have just jumped straight to Goseiger instead of doing Shinkenger first since they are usually a season behind and Gokaiger was out at the same time as Samurai.) I believe the reason they skipped Gobusters was because of how dark of a show it was. PR has done dark before (End of Turbo, Space to an extent, Lightspeed Resuce, Time Force, Wild Force. Even Disney did RPM.) but not since the rights came back to Saban. If anything they've regressed to as far back BEFORE Space with how basic the show can be.

If anything I can see them doing Zyuohger, but skipping Kyuranger because of how many main cast members they would need to have just to fill out the main team.

Quote:
to be fair though Dino charge was actually quite good, unfortunately the quality went back down when Ninja steel started

Dino Charge was ok at best. The ending was laughably absurd. spoiler[Seriously where was Time Force? They should have cracked down on that immediately!] People only say it was "good" because of how GOD AWFUL Megaforce/Super Megaforce was. Anything would look good compared to that.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
If anything I can see them doing Zyuohger, but skipping Kyuranger because of how many main cast members they would need to have just to fill out the main team.

That would be hilarious considering Bandai America had a hand in Kyuranger's production.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1