• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: A Look Into the Art and Animation of Girls' Last Tour

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
This is nice. It's amazing to me that the author drew the entire ED himself and it was definitely in my top 3 EDs of the year.

I really want them to animate the rest of the show.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed this show. Getting more animation from the manga would be wonderful, but I'm happy with what was done.

Mark Gosdin
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I've really enjoyed this show. Getting more animation from the manga would be wonderful, but I'm happy with what was done.

Mark Gosdin

At the very least, it would be nice to get an OVA adapting the final four chapters or so.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
Why this obsession with adapting everything into animation? I don't think manga is an inferior médium but often the inverse: the animation is usually worse than the manga it was originally adapted from. I think the show had a got rhythm and progression as a self contained piece so further animation might make it worse: to me it is a masterpiece in the way it is and one of the best anime of 2017, which was anime's annus mirabilis. Girls Last Tour was easily superior to any titles from 2016 and 2015, including i
In This Corner of the World.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Why this obsession with adapting everything into animation?

Normally it wouldn't bother me, but it's hard not to see any version of the story that doesn't include (BIG BOOK SPOILER) spoiler[the car breaking down for good] as incomplete.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote
This exhibition does highlight how this series was a triumph in character animation. Turning one of the bleakest of premises into something measuredly lighthearted is no easy feat, but they managed this with the sheer flexibility of the character designs. Had their expressions been less prone to deforming, the all-important levity might not have manifested so readily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:06 am Reply with quote
Girl's Last Tour is one of my favourite anime last year and the mangaka is damn impressive animating the entire ED. I appreciate the efforts and care staffs give in making the anime. I will wait at least one year before jumping into the manga as there's no telling whether or not, if ever, adapting the last chapters of the series.

All in all, it was a great ride.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
I thought Tsukumizu was a woman?
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:03 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I thought Tsukumizu was a woman?

Thought I was the only one with this misconception Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Why this obsession with adapting everything into animation? I don't think manga is an inferior médium but often the inverse: the animation is usually worse than the manga it was originally adapted from.
It's not because manga is an inferior medium but because any adaptation of an existing source material should be able to stand alone as it's own complete story. If an anime doesn't finish adapting the entire story, it just makes the anime feel like an over-glorified commercial for the manga. In the case of Girls Last Tour, it's made all the more frustrating when the manga is such a short series that if the anime just waited a few more month to be released, we probably would have gotten the entire series adapted. Girls' Last Tour is still one of my top favorite anime of 2017 and I wouldn't hold it against it, and I myself have started buying the manga recently, but you just can't escape the feeling of being short-changed by the anime being incomplete.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1