• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super Part Two Blu-ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
The Resurrection F might be one of worst things Toriyama and even its premise shows it.
*Frieza invades Earth with an army.
*Every supporting character is unable to face him
*Super Saiyan comes to the rescue and kills Frieza
Does this sound familiar? They recycled Trunks' first appearance and tried extending the arc while adding more characters.

spoiler[The worst thing is what they did to Gohan. He could barely take down Ginyu and even transform into a regular Super Saiyan. Even worse is that Gohan was the strongest supporting character in that arc based on everybody's fights and Gotenks' appearances in the franchise made it even more pointless considering he lasted five seconds. I remember in a certain guidebook, Toriyama only created Gotenks to serve as comic relief in the Buu arc which explains why his character is so useless in the franchise. Goten and Trunks then only serve as more comic relieves alongside Bulma (why is she even here again?) to bring Whis the news about Frieza's return.

Then once again Goku shows off cockier than ever. He starts fighting Frieza in his base form risking everybody else' safety as Frieza attacks his friends. Once Goku is about to finish him off, he makes the mistake Whis warned him about and gets nearly killed by a minion. Vegeta then also tries to kill Frieza but he also understimates Frieza and gets the entire planet destroyed by letting his guard down in a minute. It appears then that Frieza has won but for some reason Beerus and Whis relucantly offer their help to return time so that Goku finishes him off. That's probably the laziest way to end the story arc. And Frieza's threat never felt too big considering he was scared just by the fact Beerus was eating in the planet.]

No wonder this arc was completely skipped in the Super manga? Shocked
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of the English voice cast, if there's one universally positive thing about remaking Resurrection ‘F’, it's that we get some more time with Chris Ayres's performance as Frieza, who continues to be a delight.

It should be noted that some of the last episodes had Daman Mills fill in for him as Freeza for some lines because Chris got sick. Daman also voiced him in full for the Dragon Ball FighterZ game while Chris somehow returned to voice Freeza for Xenoverse 2's most recent DLC.

As for Super, hated most of the major changes this arc had from the movie spoiler[(worst one to me being Piccolo's death, Gohan's reaction after it and his revival happening off-screen)], not to say that the film was great because it did have it's own problems but Super handled things worse to the point where even the good changes spoiler[(like the way Sorbet shot Goku)] meant very little in the end.

tintor2 wrote:

There was already a manga adaptation from when the movie came out so it made sense why they didn't have Toyotaro cover it a second time.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is a complete fair assessment of the Super's Resurrection F arc. I liked the move version but I won't deny that it was just basically indulgent fanservice. The TV version is that but with all of the movie's flaws minus one (They made the spoiler[Goku gets wounded by laser] scene more believable) cranked up to eleven and with absolutely terrible animation for most of it

It would be the absolute nadir of the Dragon Ball Franchise if not for GT, Bio-Broly and Episode of Bardock already existing. At least the Tournament of Power arc's use of Freeza manged to justify his bringing back here.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:29 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

It was skipped from the manga.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me the movie was fine and even a little fun but the TV version was definitely a low point. Wont deny the slice of life and comedy moments including Goku and Vegeta on Beerus' planet was fun and entertaining though
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Yeah, this is a complete fair assessment of the Super's Resurrection F arc. I liked the move version but I won't deny that it was just basically indulgent fanservice. The TV version is that but with all of the movie's flaws minus one (They made the spoiler[Goku gets wounded by laser] scene more believable) cranked up to eleven and with absolutely terrible animation for most of it

It would be the absolute nadir of the Dragon Ball Franchise if not for GT, Bio-Broly and Episode of Bardock already existing. At least the Tournament of Power arc's use of Freeza manged to justify his bringing back here.

i wouldn't go that far. bio broly yes. but not gt or bardock's ep. at least those are better alts than this one.

Quote:
This story is easily my least favorite of any major Dragon Ball story, whether we're comparing it to the original Dragon Ball, DBZ, or just Super itself.

well if that's the case, then how do you compare it to gt then?

cause the arcs for that series (though at least the shadow dragons arc) are a better niptucked storyline than the Resurrection F arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1