• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell Happened in Sword Gai: The Animation?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Of the spate of new Netflix original anime productions I've tried, Sword Gai is definitely the least interesting; I actually couldn't finish watching it after the first four or five episodes. All the other shows they've released exclusively this year were much, much better.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
It appears as if the knife-wielding child of "let me see what you have" fame has been granted his own series, with a few slight changes made for dramatic effect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Say what you will about the previous anime Netflix dropped this month, but this was hands down the worst of them. Much of the plot lines didn’t go anywhere, including the main one stopping in the middle of a battle. That episode (8 IIRC) with the hairdresser and the middle aged female Eric Cartman was especially pointless. The exposition was poorly timed as well, with basic exposition about the good sword organization not revealed until episode 11 including the fact that the new administrator was the daughter of the one that got possessed by the sword made from the blood of 1000 demons - I’m not exaggerating - in the first episode. It was basically just a parade of people getting possessed by demon swords and the swords too edgy backstories for much of it, which almost makes me think it could have worked better weekly. Almost. When the MC’s philanthropist counterpart was making his speech against violence, I half expected him to go “And that’s why we have to kill all humans” and/or turn them into sword demons. It wouldn’t have made sense but it would have been something at least.

That being said, I was never bored and it never looked bad at least. I wouldn’t watch a second season, even with all the unfinished plots, though.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Sword Gai The Animation is definitely not great, but it's also not horrible either. It's just very mediocre. With its troubled production history I am not entirely surprised either. The show was originally announced back in 2014 and was suppose to premiere in 2016. I hear it kept on getting pushed back till eventually Netflix decided to picked it up. The dub is surprisingly good though. I just wish Netflix decided to go all out and give this the A.I.C.O Incarnation's dub treatment instead. Sword Gai's production values deserved that 3rd rate dub, while A.I.C.O's didn't. If you want decent sword action you could do much worst. It's about a 6/10 for me.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I liked it but I also have huge tolerance for Inoue-isms with years of Kamen Rider under my belt. I think that's the real thing; you either like his style or you don't. Especially true in this case, given he did the scripts and what not as well as the fact that it's based on Inoue's and Amemiya's manga.
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:41 am Reply with quote
For me, I am done with it. I could not get invested in any characters. The only one I did manage to like turne out to be predictable. It is not a bad show per say but there wasn't anything there that will make me want to watch a second season. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1