• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Scum's Wish Anime, Prepares English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Im glad Sentai picked it up and creates a dub. Hope more anime strike shows get picked up by Sentai or Funi. Hope Funi will pick up soon Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I am glad this interesting show is getting a disc release. I don't see a dub as a good idea, but a nice LE could help recoup some of the investment. I am intrigued; does this mean Sentai can license more shows that are streaming on Amazon. I would love for Sentai to license The Great Passage and After the Rain.

Also, I hope this also leads to Funimation releasing and dubbing RE:Creators, Bahamut Virgin Soul and Inuyashiki.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Nice, kind of figured Sentai would be the ones to license it. Looking forward to picking this up and I'm pretty interested to see how their English dub turns out.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Really glad this is getting a dub; it shows that Amazon is definitely willing to let even their Noitamina shows get fully licensed. Now if they could only dub the Naruto opening in Episode 2... (they won't because they're Sentai, but a guy can dream)

angelmcazares wrote:
I am glad this interesting show is getting a disc release. I don't see a dub as a good idea, but a nice LE could help recoup some of the investment. I am intrigued; does this mean Sentai can license more shows that are streaming on Amazon. I would love for Sentai to license The Great Passage and After the Rain.

Also, I hope this also leads to Funimation releasing and dubbing RE:Creators, Bahamut Virgin Soul and Inuyashiki.

AMEN.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
*smirks*

I'm eager to see how this fares on the market. Do you think we are past the days of an unsuspecting parent picking it up for their preteen daughter because "the art is cute and she likes romance"?

Or will the title be enough to warn them otherwise? Anime hyper

(Also can't wait to see how many parents will be fooled by Made in Abyss LOL)

Last edited by Chiibi on Thu May 10, 2018 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I honestly was prepared for Amazon to just sit on it for a long time, so I'm really happy this is getting licensed. It was one of my favorite shows from that year. Hopefully we will see more shows licensed by Amazon and Netflix getting blu-ray releases here.

I'm definitely a fan of dubs (I probably watch about a 60-40 sub/dub ratio), but I never expected Scum's Wish of all shows to get one. It will be interesting to say the least.
Toonces

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Nice, glad to see one of the Amazon licenses getting dubbed and released. Hopefully more follow suit.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes! That means it will come to HiDive dubbed eventually!
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Yes! That means it will come to HiDive dubbed eventually!
No it won't, Amazon still has exclusive streaming rights. It is like how Funimation's Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress dub isn't streaming on their website, it is only currently available on the Blu-ray.
An Average Aspie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
"The company plans to release the series on home video, and via electronic sell-through in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa."

Maybe they'll sell the dub episodes on Amazon or even steam?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll take a sub only Fune wo Amu release Sentai. Please.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
An Average Aspie wrote:
"The company plans to release the series on home video, and via electronic sell-through in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa."

Maybe they'll sell the dub episodes on Amazon or even steam?

It should mean that they have the ability to sell on digital market places like iTunes, Amazon Video, PSN, etc. There is no guarantee that they will though, but iTunes and Amazon are usually a given for most of their shows.
An Average Aspie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
There is no guarantee that they will though, but iTunes and Amazon are usually a given for most of their shows.

Exactly. I'm leaning towards Amazon only unless companies like funi were able to sell any dubbed episodes of amazon licensed titles on other services.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
While this is not the kind of show I like to watch, I am glad a Noitama/Amazon exclusive show is licensed, as it shows a precedent.

angelmcazares wrote:

I am almost positive Aniplex USA has been advertising Re:Creators at conventions, so I doubt anyone but them will be allowed to release that one. Unfortunately, this means the BDs will cost a small fortune, but on the bright side, if they dub it, it will probably be available on Amazon Prime as well.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I am almost positive Aniplex USA has been advertising Re:Creators at conventions, so I doubt anyone but them will be allowed to release that one.

I am starting to wonder if Aniplex USA is really interested in releasing RE:Creators. Granblue Fantasy and Eromanga Sensei started airing last spring, like RE:Creators, and the first two have already been solicited. I guess we will find out at Anime Expo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2