• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Map Reveals U.S.'s Most Popular Non-Sequel Spring 2018 Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Wyoming, home to the biggest rodeo in the world, is watching Uma Musume. This is too perfect.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Having the largest number of states claimed is no guarantee that a title is the most popular. Although in this case, Megalobox's haul does include the 6 most populous states.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Apparently they don't count Gun Gale Online as a sequel because it's technically a spin-off. Though, since the point of not counting sequels is to not have one or two shows with pre-established fanbases dominate the map, maybe they should have left that one out... it and Megalobox cover 39 of the 50 states, which is pretty uninteresting to look at. I'd probably count Megalobox (25 states!) as a sequel, too, since it's explicitly a modernized remake of Champion Joe.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Though, since the point of not counting sequels is to not have one or two shows with pre-established fanbases dominate the map

Persona 5 & The Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue also have pre-established fanbases. I think the point is removing the obviously popular shows (Hero Academia, Black Clover, Food Wars!, Boruto, OP) and see the new favorites of the season.

TBT I would like to see the overall top 5, since dominating a lot of states with low population (or subscribers) means little and there is even the possibility that a show that is not even on the list is one the top five most watched *cough*FRANXX*cough*
rtil

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I'd probably count Megalobox (25 states!) as a sequel, too, since it's explicitly a modernized remake of Champion Joe.

that's a bit of a stretch - especially considering that a majority of anime viewers today are probably totally unfamiliar with the original.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
It really is just dumb to not consider Sword Art as a "sequel" for the purposes of this chart. No one can deny the fact that the majority of people watching it started watching it because it had "Sword Art" in the title. Megalobox 100% also should've been considered a "sequel" for this purpose. Rather than sequel, I would've used "Established franchise". They're part of major franchise. This would be like bragging about Dr. Strange doing well as a non-sequel movie when it was still part of MCU. Persona 5 shouldn't be considered for the same reasons. Also, The Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These.

TLDR; this chart is a joke. The only ones rightfully on here are Uma Musume, Caligula, Comic Girls, Hinamatsuri, and Golden Kamuy.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the SAO spinoff is owning like over half of America's states. Even as a SAO with a different look, it is still massively popular.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
Frickin Arizona. I hate moe spin offs. So, no I'M not watching Gun Gale but I guess everybody else is. > >
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:
Frickin Arizona. I hate moe spin offs. So, no I'M not watching Gun Gale but I guess everybody else is. > >

This Arizonan is watching both that moe spin-off and the AnJ spin-off/spiritual successor. However, I am preferring the latter title.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
It really is just dumb to not consider Sword Art as a "sequel" for the purposes of this chart. No one can deny the fact that the majority of people watching it started watching it because it had "Sword Art" in the title. Megalobox 100% also should've been considered a "sequel" for this purpose. Rather than sequel, I would've used "Established franchise". They're part of major franchise. This would be like bragging about Dr. Strange doing well as a non-sequel movie when it was still part of MCU. Persona 5 shouldn't be considered for the same reasons. Also, The Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These.

TLDR; this chart is a joke. The only ones rightfully on here are Uma Musume, Caligula, Comic Girls, Hinamatsuri, and Golden Kamuy.

I would wager the vast majority of American anime fans are totally unfamiliar with Ashita no Joe, and most have probably never even heard of it. For the purposes of this chart, Megalo Box totally counts.

Last edited by Sahmbahdeh on Thu May 17, 2018 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:52 am Reply with quote
Numerous notable professional boxing matches in the past have been held in Las Vegas in Nevada, so no wonder it all becomes too perfect for most people, if not everyone, in the state to check out Megalo Box.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Now, we just need Sentai Filmworks or Funi to give a weekly dub stream next season or in the fall.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:58 am Reply with quote
To be honest I have literally watched none of these. Though the only thing of the current season I'm watching is Steins;Gate 0.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:08 am Reply with quote
Props to people in Vermont and Georgia for showing good taste and watching Golden Kamuy.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:40 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised, and at the same time, not surprised about Golden Kamuy. On one hand it is a good show with a good premise and characters. On the other, the production quality, while not bad, is below what this show needs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2