• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Warner Brothers Japan at Anime Central

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The previews showed the series to be a period piece featuring a number of highly-skilled (and possibly super-powered?) foreigners called Jaegers coming to Japan to battle vampires, with the implication being that one of the Jaegers might be a vampire himself.

If, by happy accident or otherwise, one of these 'Jaegers' uses bombs as part of their regular arsenal, then the series' reputation will be unable to recover from the community's spate of cocktail-related jokes.

If that fails to occur, I shall see to the matter myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Honestly wasn't interesting in this show until I saw Mari Okada's name attached to it. I do like the character designs though. It sounds pretty interesting in this article, but with Mari Okada involved I feel like there's more to it going on. Can't wait to see it
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Hisone To Masotan is great. The characters are pretty well written and I'm loving the unusual art style. Dragons are pretty cute as well.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
For these 3, Hisone and Masotan, Sirius the Jaeger, and Hi Score Girl, since Warner Bro is involved in their production, did they mention about home releases? Or if WB will be releasing any themselves like Batman Ninja?

Quote:
The other series talked about did not have an animated preview available, but some details were provided about the upcoming anime adaptation of the Hi Score Girl manga, which will also be airing in Japan during the Summer 2018 season. The host revealed that agreements have been made with various video game companies to provide screen shots of actual video games in the animation. Some motion capture will also be used to animate scenes of characters playing video games.

The previous trailer only showed Capcom games. Were they able to get the rights to other companies' games? Square Enix the manga publisher and IP owner, had a huge lawsuit from SNK and while it was settled, I recall they had to remove SNK games.

As for the motion capture, the trailer also appeared to be entirely CG and I'm assuming the motion capture will be used for the hand-controller animation.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Batman is Warner Bros' character so why wouldn't they release an anime based around the character in the States?

As far as other things go, rights can be complicated and for whatever the US affiliate of a multinational might not pick up the rights to distribute a Japanese series or movie that was exhibited by its Japanese affiliate.

Give you an example...

Warner Bros actually exhibited the 2004 Cutie Honey film (directed by Hideaki Anno) in Japan. They did NOT, however, release it on home video in the US. That movie was licensed and released by Bandai on DVD in North American in 2007.

Likewise, there are several Ghibli films Disney had options on that they DID NOT choose to exercise for the US for a variety of reasons -- a) subject matter; b) the belief those films would not do well enough for Disney to bother. Those films (the ones Disney had a hand in) WERE all shown in US theaters by GKids which eventually got the rights to all the films except Grave of the Fireflies and The Wind Rises (which is still under home video distribution by Disney since it was Miyazaki's last completed feature film).
Even before Disney's distribution deal with Tokuma (the overall company behind Ghibli) expired, there were at least 3-4 Ghibli Disney NEVER distributed in the US. Those films included Grave of the Fireflies (which was licensed to CPM and later Sentai Pictures), Only Yesterday, When Marnie Was There, Ocean Waves, and The Tale of Princess Kaguya. Disney still had production credits on Marnie and Princess Kaguya since they provided money to produce those films -- that was part of the deal they made Tokuma. All those films were released eventually in the US but by different companies. CPM and Sentai handled Grave of the Fireflies because the film was considered too sad by Disney and had images of kids starving and dying. The last three films were films that for variety of reasons were not "sellable" by Disney -- ie, they were never going to be million unit sellers in the States and a bunch of Hollywood companies' home video divisions won't deal with films that'll sell under 100,000 units.

Sony's another big company that doesn't always sell its Japanese properties in the US. They've had home video rights to a ton of anime they NEVER released in the States or did VERY limited releases for (such as the Blood-Plus anime TV series). The Street Fighter II anime feature is one of their properties but was most recently licensed and released by Discotek on DVD and Blu ray after it was restored. Metropolis is also another Sony title which DID get the deluxe treatment on DVD 15-17 years ago but only got a BD-R release for the US last year. It's being released again on a PRESSED Blu ray release later this year but only after a bunch of us bought the region-free UK Blu ray release last year!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1